Brake Questions

Dshow

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Hi all,
I've got a 2003 TB LT with ~80K miles. I've replaced the front brake pads a few years ago but haven't touched the back. I have a couple of brake related questions...

1) The front rotors are starting to show ripples and probably need to be replaced in the near future. When I get new rotors, do I need to replace the pads as well? Will the old pads cause ripples in the new rotors?

2) When I drive forward, I have no issue. When I back up, I hear the rear squeelers.... Why does this only happen when I back up?

Thanks!

smt 59

Dshow said:
Hi all,
I've got a 2003 TB LT with ~80K miles. I've replaced the front brake pads a few years ago but haven't touched the back. I have a couple of brake related questions...

1) The front rotors are starting to show ripples and probably need to be replaced in the near future. When I get new rotors, do I need to replace the pads as well? Will the old pads cause ripples in the new rotors?

2) When I drive forward, I have no issue. When I back up, I hear the rear squeelers.... Why does this only
happen when I back up?

Thanks
When you replace rotors it is advised that you replace pads as well as the old pads have formed to the old rotors and may be grooved and hardened and yes they will cause damage to the new rotors.

As for the backing up it is the pads scraping off the oxidization from sitting overnight or for extended periods of time.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
What he said, on both counts. And if you do the rears, check the parking brake while you're there.

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
As for the rear squealing only in reverse that is the wear indicator, you said you have not changed them in years. The reason it only happens in reverse is that's the way their designed.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
That or when reversing, the pads shift and the squealers make contact with the rotor. Either way, they're toast.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Take the wheels off and check em. For the safety, and it could save you a few bucks in the long run.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online