Brake question

BrianGMC2019

Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
USA
I have a 2004 GMC Envoy XUV. I will be purchsasing four 245/65R17 BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT tires, Adaptive One pads for all four wheels, ACDELCO 18A1421SD Severe Duty rotors for the front and RAYBESTOS 580029 Specialty - Truck for the rear. I am hoping to get some feedback on what you think of these products for the Envoy. I want to stop better in the winter and figure the servere duty rotors will do that for me? The BF Goodriech tires are top rated on Tire Rack. The Adoptimve one pads seem to be realy highly thought of in this forum? I realize i am kinda bridging the tires and the brakes forums.

Last edited:

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Tires and siping are the only factors when dealing with winter stopping power. I have had really good luck with my Michelin Defender LT M/S. I cant really speak to the tires you are getting as I run these Michelins on all my cars.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
What is your primary braking concern in the winter? I don't know where you live, but usually "winter braking" has to do with snow and ice. Tires have more to do with winter weather braking. Half-decent brakes would lock you up in those conditions if you have tires that don't "bite". The tires have good reviews on Tire Rack for winter performance, but not being a dedicated winter tire, I find it a little suspect having snow tires for my truck and knowing the difference. Hopefully they will do you well if you opt to run an all-season year round.

Do you pull a trailer regularly? If not, you may be over-engineering your braking system.

ETA: The tire is "three peak mountain snowflake" rated. It may do you very well in winter conditions. I just watched the video on TR. Second video here - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ear=2004&autoModel=Envoy XUV 4wd&autoModClar=

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The Adaptive One pads are rated very good by our resident brake guru @Chickenhawk . I never used them myself but seriously thinking about it but the are awfully expensive. The rotors should do you fine.

For winter braking, it doesn't matter if you have pads made of wood but you have to have good tire traction to stop. I don't know that particular tire but if it is truly winter rated with the mountain snowflake symbol, you should be fine.

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
I agree that it's over-engineering the braking system. Severe duty pads and rotors are not designed for the best performance stopping power; they are designed for long life when used in fleet, taxi and heavy truck applications. They will actually provide less braking and less feel. Plus, I don't like any slotted rotors of any kind. Not only do they not provide the slightest scientific or practical benefit, they can actually cause delamination of the rotor surface in winter rust-belt conditions.

The Adaptive One pads have (quite rightfully) got a good reputation on our platforms. I can attest to that. But I think you will be happier with AC Delco Professional rotors front and rear, or the high end NAPA rotors.

As for tires, I have no experience with the BFGs, but I know having put Michelin LTX on every single Blazer and Trailblazer I have owned for over 20 years, that I would never have another tire on my truck. (I also run Michelin winter tires too … and it is night-and-day difference running good winter tires in the winter.)

Reactions: Mooseman

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
I live in western ny, plenty of chicken wings and snow. I gave up the winter snow tires and summer tires game quite a while ago, and now just put AT tires on my vehicles year round. They are a little louder, they don't last as long as other tires, but I never worry about them and with that aggressive tread it doesn't matter what the weather does I am ready for mother nature and her antics :smile:

Stopping better in the winter, lots of people go off the road in the ditch with a 4 wheel drive vehicle around here. 4 wheel drive is awesome when you have to use the gas, but once you need the brake it doesn't help a whole lot. Good tires and gradual accelerations and decelerations (ie braking), along with using your head. I'd love to say I never went in the ditch myself, but alas no :smile:

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I have the Adaptive One pads on the front of my Envoy XL, based on @Chickenhawk review. They're everything he said, and I love them. Just make sure you break them in properly (his thread on these describes how to do it). My rear pads are standard AC Delco (I think -? Can't remember).

The front rotors are Raybestos 'rust resistant' (prolly similar to your rears). I forget what my rear rotors are, but they're not super spendy. The fronts are where to 'put the money' at.

If you're doing rear rotors, check your e-brake pads (actually, shoes); now's the time to do them if they're marginal. And replace the fluid if it's more than 3yrs old.

If you've got the 'snowflake on the mountain' on the tires, they're winter rated. Only dedicated snows are better (and I bought a set for a hybrid once that had horrible LRR tires...made all the difference in the world). I don't have either on my (4WD) Voy, and I do fine in snow. But it's gone quickly, too. Plows are plentiful, here.

Reactions: Mooseman

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I have the same BFG tires (only 18") but I have only had them a few weeks. So far, so good.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online