Brake pad clips

BrownHP800

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
I have a 2002 Trailblazer, needs new front pads. No big deal. I have done my fair share of brake jobs.

The new pads came with these 8 clips. What in the heck are they for and where do they go? I have never seen anything like them.

HEKxtJMMxOkFO4Q8KUSLZH6et7OUtxsmjAg_sygZKfk

For some reason it wont show the pic. here is the link
https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lllifr6zm44ukv/IMG_0188.JPG?dl=0

Last edited by a moderator:

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Wear indicators, two per pad. I just went through my photobucket for pics of them and gots nothing, sorry.

Reactions: kickass audio

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
They are the wear tabs that you need to push onto the outer sides of the brake pads near the ears. The purpose is to make the brakes squeak when they get worn down too far. Some pads come with them riveted on the pads but newer ones make you put them on yourself. Technically you don't need them but it is recommended if you don't plan to look at your vehicle a lot to know the life remaining on your brake pads.

To put them on, the wider opening would need to be slid on the brake pad with the tab going toward the friction material. If you look at the picture here:
0900c15280045f4a.gif

The way those are mounted is how you place them on each pad. You would need to install 2 of those wear clips on each brake pad so you would have 4 total for each wheel (2 on the inner pad and 2 on the outer pad). Notate the orientation of the wear clip, the flat prong that sticks out straight the furthest is what goes towards the brake rotor or mounts up toward the side where all the friction material is. When I mounted mine, I slid the wear clip on one side and tried to pivot it on the brake pad, it was difficult so I had taken a hammer to the clip to help bump it on the pad, it will snap into place. If you look carefully at your pads, you will see little indentations on the back part of the pad near the side where those clips go, they MUST go in that area on the pad.

This is how it would look when installed properly.
brk6.jpg

If you still get stuck, send a picture of your brake pad and I can outline the area where you mount those wear tabs onto.

BrownHP800

Original poster
Mar 19, 2014
Perfect. I had originally thought they looked like wear tabs but I never saw any that were not already attached. My old pads do not have them.

I appreciate the fast replies.

Reactions: kickass audio

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
Perfect. I had originally thought they looked like wear tabs but I never saw any that were not already attached. My old pads do not have them.

I appreciate the fast replies.
No problem man! The first time I saw them like that was on my envoy when I replaced all the brakes. I had no idea such a thing existed as I had cheaper pads with the wear tabs riveted to the pad itself so I just had to grease the slide pins and mounting ears and install them on the vehicle and go. I didn't know what to do with them so I asked my dad and he showed me that sometimes they come that way. Now I know like you lol.

Reactions: BrownHP800

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online