Brake Line Routing

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Hey everyone,

Does anyone have a photo of their front passenger side brake line where it attaches to the hose? Had a shop twist the line when replacing the hose and the repairs afterward don't appear to be out of the way enough to avoid interference with nearby moving parts. Will post a pic when I get the truck back later. Thanks

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have you tried doing a Google image search for trailblazer brakes or wheel hubs ? Sometimes people will show how to do these and may have a pic of what you want.

Reactions: mrrsm

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Yes, I did try but was not finding anything with a closeup of the line itself. Here is the photo, I can barely slip one finger between the coil spring and the line itself. I was told this was not a problem but still concerned about the spring hitting it. This is after multiple repair attempts with multiple shops, long story not for here but want to make sure this is really not a safety issue.... Thanks

Attachments

• Brake Line_RF.JPG
    Brake Line_RF.JPG
    241.7 KB · Views: 34

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Full stop right there! (Pun not intended) Compression fittings are not rated for the pressures or the safety required for brake lines and in most places illegal.
http://www.brakeconnect.com/top-3-reasons-not-to-use-brake-line-compression-fittings

And neither are copper lines unless they are special copper-nickel.
https://oppositelock.kinja.com/the-truth-about-copper-brake-lines-1818499200

I wouldn't use this shop to even fix roller skates. Very shoddy work.

Edit: Looking at it again, I stand corrected. That fitting is a proper flare nut fitting but that copper line is suspect unless it's the copper-nickel type. Still looks shoddy though.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I was able to grab this screenshot from a brake repair video. A little unlear but if you blow it up, you can see the line making a U and heading straight down, away from the strut.

Screenshot - 01_10_2018 , 10_02_27 AM_ver001.jpg

ComputernerdBD

Original poster
Aug 24, 2014
Thanks for the pictures and information, makes alot more sense as those lines had alot more clearance from the factory. Now how to fix this.... Any ideas? Can the lines be bent back easily from this angle without kinking? Yes that is a flared fitting and from what I was told it is copper nickel lines.

EDIT: Do they even make the prebent lines anymore and do the dealers sell them? Just to make it the same as new. Thanks

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I realize that this Brake Line Thread is over a Year Old... But while Eric The Car Guy's Video on this very Subject is generic for our purposes...it just so DBOT (Dead Balls On Topic) that it was hard to pass up. So I thought it would be a good place to Park It should this subject arise over time in the areas of North America plagued by Dangerous and Problematic Rusted Out Brake Lines and Fittings. It also covers How to Re-Create Brake Lines that are NOT being made anymore as GM OEM Off-The-Shelf, easily 'Available for Purchase' Replacements:

And among OTHER Less Expensive Brake Line Flaring Tools available on Amazon... THESE Complete what was essentially covered in ETCG's Video...with a BETTER Brake Line Bending Tool shown below as part of what is required to "Freelance" Build Your OWN Custom Brake Lines:

BRAKELINETOOLS.jpg

Last edited:

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
The link in Mooseman's second post does a great job of explaining wheat happens inside the brake parts. The insides of my calipers looked like those in link. I had no idea about copper corrosion entering the fluid. :2thumbsup: for regular maintenance!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online