Brake lights dont work

Reaper0720

Original poster
Jan 13, 2018
Los Angeles
So it's not entirely a true heading. I should say half the lights work. The high center light and the tow hitch light work. Left and right however do not. Checked the fuses and the bulbs both appear to be fine. Hazard lights also work fine. Could it be the brake light switch is partially damaged?

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
did you look at or actually test the bulbs and fuses? Can't really be the brake light switch if everything thing else is visibly working.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The Brake Light Power Circuit originates at the Brake Pedal under pressure (Brake Light Pressure Switch ) and travels through the the Multi-Function Switch to the Left and Right rear Brake Lights. The Tailgate Mounted Brake Light however… has its own circuit that also originates from the Brake Pedal (Brake Light Switch)… but it Bypasses the Multi-Function Switch completely. If both of your Turn Signals work… then it is NOT the Multifunction Switch. So Yeah… That Brake Pedal Switch is the actual culprit and unfortunately... the R&R is a REAL PITA and will be necessary in this case. You could call that High Mounted Tailgate Brake Light your, “Get Out of a No Brakes Tail Light Traffic Ticket” Last Ditch Brake Light. :>)

Here is How...

Reactions: Reaper0720

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
You said the fuses and bulbs appear to be fine, but did you check the fuses and bulbs with a meter? Visual inspections can miss small breaks.
I had a guy pull up next to me a few years back and inform me that I had no brake lights. Turned out that both bulbs had gone bad, and they
weren't that old. They didn't actually look burnt out, either. Third brake light was working. So before you dig in to the brake switch itself, take a meter to the bulbs, sockets and fuses and make sure the problem isn't there first.

Good Luck!

Chris

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yeah swap the bulb from turn signal to brake, and see if if it works then. Many times they don't look bad, but are.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Geez... I completely forgot about how easily those Gray Tail Light Socket Bars with them Damned, Skinny, Rectangular Bulb Sockets that seem to manage loosening up and wobbling back and forth and shorting out. They wind up melting the sockets from excessive heat as well. So I do like these ideas too as a much better First Place to check B4 the doing the Brake Pedal Switch Swap... So...Sorry Larry ...My Bad ( @djthumper ) THIS Guy is an absolute RIOT to watch doing this repair in a Youtube Video that is just about as entertaining an R&R Video as you'll find on any OT subject:

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Reaper0720

Original poster
Jan 13, 2018
Los Angeles
Used a test light and had continuity all the way back to the plug that goes into the circuit board. Nothing at the bulb. Pried open the circuit panel and found that the glue holding the little pins in place that go into the plug had basically corroded away. So when I would plug the plug in, the pins would just push back and not seat correctly. Put a temporary duck tape fix on them till the new panels come in. Thank you everyone for your responses though. It definitely helped me narrow it down

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online