brake lights blow fuse

bigytwotone

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
Hello everyone i am having an issue can you help me. I went out for a drive today and almost got a fine.:confused: the officer cam up and asked me "do you know why i pulled you over" and i said no because i was not speeding my tags are up to date and all my lights are on so no i don't know why. he then told me that i have no brake lights. my lights are on but do not brighten up when i press the brakes. he told me the only reason he did on slam in to my truck was because my third brake light came on. So he asked for my license and registration and said when he got back from the cop car that he was not going to give me a ticket he gave me a warning. So i said thank you and he let me go. so when i got home i checked my lights and what the hay they don't work so i thought i just put LED's in those cant be it so i check the fuse and balm it blew so i replaced it and tried it again and balm it blew again. Do you think it is my new light's??? I don't think it is because I just put them in my 2004 Chevy silverado and they worked and didn't blow a fuse so what is going on?????

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
You didn't replace the brake lights with SRCK LEDs. Only the brake lights need SRCK bulbs because they "have 2 filaments" or levels of brighness, driving lights and brake lights. I did the same thing with mine. Once you get the correct type of LED bulb, no more blown fuses.

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
From what I can tell about your Silverado, it uses a standard 3157 bulb. This link shows the difference between a 3157 bulb and a 3157 SRCK bulb:

906 Interior Lights

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
No problem! Same thing happened to me almost a year ago and I got help from the os. Now I am here to pass it on to the next person! :thumbsup:

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX
You can google 3157 SRCK LED bulb and see what that brings up. Some auto shops might have them although I am not 100% sure. I bought mine on eBay for around $12 a pair.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I would be wary if it doesn't specify SRCK. Maybe contact the seller and ask.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Doesn't really specify in the description.. but I'll be getting mine from autolumination.com, check them out as they have a whole section dedicated to srck style bulbs, superbrightleds.om has a nice selection too

MrDJ

Dec 4, 2011
Waxahachie, TX

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
I would not recommend that particular led style for on road use. There is a reason they are so cheap in that they are not that bright in daylight, to the point of not being visible at all. Safety and all that. Don't want you to get popped by another LEO or have an inattentive driver stuffing their front bumper in to your rear bumper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Brilliant-Red-18-SMD-3156-3157-LED-Turn-Signal-Lights-/380344216305

These I would recommend if (relative) low cost is a factor.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
bigytwotone said:
Those are good but turn signals so i found SRCK tail/stop lights the a little more but i want them so i don't really care.

They are advertised as turns in the auction title, but also "dual filament" in the description, so they should work for park/brake...

But if you found a set already, hope they work out for your need :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher