Brake light weirdness

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
Wife was following me today and informed me that my drivers side brake light was not working. I figure it's no big deal for an '06 so I go by Advance auto and get a bulb (looks like LED's are standard now.)
I replace the bulb but I noticed that with the new bulb, the light would come on when I turned all the lights on but would not get brighter with the pedal depressed like it's supposed to. So I take the new bulb out...flipped it over just for fun and reinserted it. this time, it would not come on when switched on, but it would light up with the brake pedal depressed. I repeated this process several times in the name of science and it does the same thing.
At this point,I tried putting the old bulb back in....and it works perfectly. I think my truck is haunted.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
At this point,I tried putting the old bulb back in....and it works perfectly. I think my truck is haunted.

Well there's that... OR, maybe the bulb you bought was for a conventional socket, where our parking/brake lights require CK sockets.

As for the old bulb working afterwards, I'd guess there was maybe a little corrosion on the contacts, and the repeated (un)plugging of the other bulb cleaned the contacts just enough for the old bulb to make a good connection again.

Reactions: $ Khalid ! 9130

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online