Brake Fluid ruined the finish on my Chrome Wheels

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Last year I replaced my front brake pads with some EBC Green Stuff and painted the front calipers. When I had the calipers off for painting some brake fluid dripped out onto the back of the brake assembly. When I put the tires wheels back on I didn't notice that some of the dripped brake fluid blew onto the spokes of the wheels. This destroyed the clear coat finish at the ends of the spokes.

The question is How do I fix this. I think :undecided: (open to suggestions) that I will need to take some 300/400 paper and sand down the area until smooth, then work up to perhaps an 800 or so and then respray the clear coat. Will rattle can clear work or do I need to spray with a gun (beginning nooby painter)

If there are any professionals/talented amateurs out there with a better ideas or a different method, I am all ears/eyes. This is a project for the spring when working in the garage becomes possible again.

Thanks for your help :confused:

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Can you post pics of the damage? Chrome is usually not clear coated in my experience, which means it is the Chrome itself that is damaged. Since chrome is a finish, and not a metal, the only apparent solution to me is to get the wheels stripped and either rechromed or powder coated.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
smitty5150 said:
Can you post pics of the damage? Chrome is usually not clear coated in my experience, which means it is the Chrome itself that is damaged. Since chrome is a finish, and not a metal, the only apparent solution to me is to get the wheels stripped and either rechromed or powder coated.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking like you but the damage looks like the top coat peeled off and the wheel still looks somewhat shiny. I will try and take some pics and post here asap.

Don't like the idea of a re chrome but you may be right.

million-miles

Jan 10, 2012
before you try to sand paper try mequires in a little red cup with a white top chrome polish and cleaner. I used to use it on my camaro chrome wheels and my 18 wheeler aluminum rims.

And if you do the sand paper route you might start with a wet sand of 400 and then 800 then probably 1000 and 2000 then polishing compound.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I don't believe brake fluid will affect chrome.

A lot of wheels are clear coated. It helps prevent pitting.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
million-miles said:
before you try to sand paper try mequires in a little red cup with a white top chrome polish and cleaner. I used to use it on my camaro chrome wheels and my 18 wheeler aluminum rims.

And if you do the sand paper route you might start with a wet sand of 400 and then 800 then probably 1000 and 2000 then polishing compound.

Thanks I knew I would have to start at the bottom and work up. Just wasn't sure where the bottom was.

Wooluf1952 said:
I don't believe brake fluid will affect chrome.

A lot of wheels are clear coated. It helps prevent pitting.

This is what I was hoping since it looks like the top coat peeled off. The wheels stay really clean, well they did before I got to them.

Thanks again for the replies. I will try and get some before pics since I won't get to this for a couple of months.:thumbsup:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online