Brake Fluid change?

BuckeyeEvan

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
Does anyone have a maintenance schedule to change the fluid? every brake job? every two years? every 30k? etc...
I always thought of it as a lifetime item but I hear as the fluid ages it accumulates water and that water helps erode parts.

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
On previous cars that were strictly on road. I would change out the brake fluid every five years. The envoy, i think i will change a bit sooner. The brake components get a lot mud and water on them. I'm thinking every three years should be suitable.

When i changed mine last month due not knowing the previous maintenance history. It was milky and dark at first but it cleared up to almost new fluid that was a little cloudy in the tube. It could be a placebo, but i thought the peddle felt firmer afterwards. It still feels soft to me though. Stops fine, but I'm accustomed to a firmer peddle.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
To be honest when I changed my fluid I only did it because I had to bleed the system when I burnt my brake line. I normally just let the fluid go unless there is a reason to bleed it at the time and for me it was when I replaced the line I burnt and had to bleed to get the air out. An easy way to flush the fluid would be to suck out the old fluid from the reservoir and then fill it with fresh fluid. Bleed all 4 brakes until the fluid coming out is nice and clear. Make sure you monitor the fluid in the reservoir so it doesn't go dry on you while you bleed the system. It is very helpful to have a buddy help you so you can be at the caliper bleeding and they can apply the brake for you.

Don: You are right with the firmness of the pedal changing when I flushed my fluid. Whats funny though is on long rides on the thruway where I do not use the brakes, the pedal seems very soft but in city traffic where I am using the brakes a lot, the pedal gets firmer. Our platform is weird on the pedal stiffness.

Rogue92

Apr 19, 2014
I'm glad I'm not the only one having a dilemma right now about changing my brake fluid...I've been going back and forth the last few days while I wait for new brakes and rotors.

One of the youtubers on here (think ChrisFix) says it should be changed every three years...not sure how true it is since my manuals don't reference it. However, it can't hurt, so I'll probably follow that schedule like he suggests. I really don't want water being absorbed in my lines and causing air bubbles when it gets warm.

BuckeyeEvan said:
Does anyone have a maintenance schedule to change the fluid? every brake job? every two years? every 30k? etc...
I always thought of it as a lifetime item but I hear as the fluid ages it accumulates water and that water helps erode parts.

Reactions: Mounce

BuckeyeEvan

Original poster
Apr 1, 2012
I'll have to look up what it uses and maybe I'll just suck out the old from the reservoir and put in new.
I guess I should look at it as a $5 fix and 5-10 minutes of my time.

Rogue92

Apr 19, 2014
This was posted recently on the forum here, and I'm planning on using it as a guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1NvtUwfRJc&list=UUes1EvRjcKU4sY_UEavndBw

BuckeyeEvan said:
I'll have to look up what it uses and maybe I'll just suck out the old from the reservoir and put in new.
I guess I should look at it as a $5 fix and 5-10 minutes of my time.

Reactions: Mounce

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
From a Hayne's manual on another vehicle (small SUV) we recently purchased for the kids to use - every 30,000 miles or 24 months.

A friend who had an eighth month overseas business trip returned home to find his old old old F-150 brake peddle go straight to the floor when he got back home. While very mechanically inclined I don't think he ever flushed the brakes.

All of our vehicles are coming due for a brake flush.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online