Brake Controller Recommendations please.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Finally bought a nice little Geo Pro Trailer. 2018 g14fk. 2000 lbs dry. 2900 GVWR. Has electric brakes. What controller would you recommend? Thanks for any input. (2002 GMC Envoy, 4.2 180K miles, addl external transmission cooler)

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I use a Tekonsha Prodigy P2 proportional controller. I had picked it up a the pick-n-pull for $5 and it works great. It has a boost feature if you temporarily need more braking like when going downhill as well as a manual control.

I think any proportional controller is fine. Don't bother with cheap time based controllers as they just apply the brakes based on time and not on actual braking demand. If you do a panic stop, it will still just apply the brakes slowly in stages. The proportional will apply according to braking gravity it senses from your tow vehicle.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I have the same Brake Controller as @Mooseman mentioned. Great controller.

Reactions: Mooseman

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Yes, I have the same....works very well.

Just note that the controller needs to be used in a somewhat level fashion, cannot be mounted vertical. I believe it has to do with the inertia sensor.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
According to their instructions, it can be mounted anywhere between 0 and 70 degrees pointing up. Mine's at about 45 degrees and works fine.

Reactions: gmcman

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Ok, I knew it had a range but didn't think it went to 70 deg....ok, good to know. Has been some time since I installed mine.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online