Bought junkyard front differential..was I robbed?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Had another look with fresh eyes and zooming in and to me it looks normal. In fact, the long arm from the spring going to the other part should be resting on the spinning thingy, like on yours, rather than the shaft, like in the pic I posted. Here's another pic.

MLocker-g80.jpg

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
I picked up the new cv axle lock rings this morning..oddly enough the gaps on new ones are 2cm LARGER? Than the old ones..hope they work..also ordered the rear diff gasket it'll be here tmrw.39 bux from dealer..I told him gmparts direct had them for 20..he said gm is not affiliated with gmparts direct..who wudda thunk..now I know

Attachments

• IMG_1785.JPG
    IMG_1785.JPG
    347.6 KB · Views: 1

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I told him gmparts direct had them for 20..he said gm is not affiliated with gmparts direct..who wudda thunk..now I know

They probably are. They have to order them from GM so... My local dealer also sells online. The prices on their site is lower than what they would sell to you in person + shipping. When I show them a printout from their own site with the lower price, they usually match it. It's basically the dealer price.

Reactions: xavierny25

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
Got the cv axle in on the the drivers side but to me it looked like it wasnt flush up against the diff so I tried to pull it out to try and get it in better but it wasn't coming back out..so tried with pry bar and of course it slipped and pulled the boot right off..spent half the day yesterday trying to reassemble it and hopefully I can get it back on cause the tripot is not coming out and I don't want to force it and bend the rings or damage the seals in the diff..one of the roller things came apart and some needle bearings fell out found all but 1 needle bearing

Attachments

• IMG_1787.JPG
    IMG_1787.JPG
    255 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1789.JPG
    IMG_1789.JPG
    407 KB · Views: 9
  • Sad
Reactions: Mooseman

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
Got frustrating trying to find that last needle bearing so..left that alone and assembled the passenger side with good results..also reassembled and refilled the rear diff Haynes sais 3.6 pints required but I put 2 quarts in and it still hasn't started dripping out the fill hole..is the fill hole not the fill limit on my diff?my diff does not have a drain plug. Gonna go try and finish putting that axle back together after I look up what tool it is i need to install that clamp and hope there's clearance to use it while the tripod is on the truck

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
To get the axles out on these, you have to smack them with a long bar and hammer on the end. Just prying won't work.

Yes, the fill plug on the rear diff is the fill level. You might have looked at the wrong spec for the fill amount depending on which diff you have (8.0 or 8.6). Just fill until it starts to dribble out.

Reactions: BrianF

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
is the fill hole not the fill limit on my diff

Not saying this applies to your diff but I have read a few specs where the full level is a measured distance below the fill hole! Each time I see one of those specs I wonder what idiot came up with that?!? How does one even measure that? My 2005 Yukon is one such rear diff.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I just fill until it dribbles a bit 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: BrianF

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
SUCCESS!!!...disassembled and cleaned up the axle used a needle bearing from on of the old ones I pulled out..(of course the rogue needle bearing showed up in the bottom of the bucket of soapy grease water later)..4 dollar pouch of grease and a 9 dollar small needlenose vice grips did the job..every thing went surprisingly smooth until my torque wrench literally fell apart in my hands while I was torquing the final bolt on the UCA..gonna have to buy a new one and double check everything I torqued down who knows how long that thing was outta wack.

Attachments

• IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    275.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1799.JPG
    IMG_1799.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1800.JPG
    IMG_1800.JPG
    383.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1801.JPG
    IMG_1801.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1802.JPG
    IMG_1802.JPG
    255.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1803.JPG
    IMG_1803.JPG
    543.9 KB · Views: 13

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
Drove her around for a bit everything feels and sounds good..so anxious to get her back on the road b4 it got dark I forgot to run the 4wd while it was up on the 4 jack stand to make sure that new disconnect functions..I'll do that tmrw...after all that work I want to actually see all 4 wheels moving..geez almost 2 months to the date with this

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
For gearing, it's the same as the front, GT4. For the size of the ring gear, no. It goes by engine or truck size. If you have a 4.2 SWB, it's an 8.0. If it's a LWB, or a 5.3 V8, it's an 8.6.

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
Ok.. I have the 4.2 I don't know what it took the 2+ plus quarts but I only had to put in a little more b4 it started spilling out..so all is good

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
Look what showed up yesterday...a full two weeks after I told them to cancel the order and over month after the initial order...morons...anybody want them b4 I try and send them back?(2 remanufactured cv axles)

Attachments

• IMG_1870.JPG
    IMG_1870.JPG
    466.4 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: xavierny25

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Look what showed up yesterday...a full two weeks after I told them to cancel the order and over month after the initial order...morons...anybody want them b4 I try and send them back?(2 remanufactured cv axles)
Hmmm.....How much? send me a pm.

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
So here is one of the wheel hubs from detroit axle (drivers side) that i got and posted about in this thread april 1 2020 post #123 or 122.Bought this tire 2 months ago because the one that was on there b4 looked just as bad maybe worse.afterseeing this tire i decided to try and figure out whats causing that premature and uneven wear..thnks detroit axle..wonder if they gonna reimburse me for those 2 tires

Attachments

• 20200813_130510.jpg
    20200813_130510.jpg
    343.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20200813_125753.jpg
    20200813_125753.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 13

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
They're sending replacements..30.00 for shipping smh..not a fan of these people so far..doubt ill ever buy anything from them again. @xavierny25 any problems with those cv axles?

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
They're sending replacements..30.00 for shipping smh..not a fan of these people so far..doubt ill ever buy anything from them again. @xavierny25 any problems with those cv axles?

Haven't installed them yet and there still in the box they came in but I will be installing before the fall.

That sucks! 30 bucks for shipping, another 30 bucks and you can get another pair of hubs shipped from ebay.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
So far I cant speak badly about Detroit Axle. I have a set of hubs on all 3 of my cars at the moment. I am having one problem on my Rendezvous with Unwanted ABS activation on the left front. This is actually why I replaced the hub to begin with. So it might be in the wiring, or it could be a bad hub, or I might have not routed the wires correctly, and the hub rubbed thru the wiring. Need to dig into that, but for now I just deal with the light. I injured my back, so working on cars is a extreme low point on my list.

But your right, 30 bucks for shipping for something with a warranty. Maybe it is a better idea to go thru my local parts store.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I've had my detroits in the truck since 2016... somewhere around 20k or so on em... no issues here.

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
The only reason i got the replacements was because of some good reviews ive seen on this forum..hoping i just got a bad set..i just remembered that i actually had to buy a new passenger side tire 2 weeks ago for the same uneven wear..i tried to take off the passenger side but the rain stopped me..ill check it tmrw..i told them to send me 2 replacements just in case..cause im sure they would of charged me another 30 to send the passenger one seperately

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Sad to say but they are likely made by the same place in China as all the other cheap hubs available everywhere. I doubt very much they have them built to their specific specs, which would be much costlier. Some are better than others. I've had Raybestos hubs actually blow out within a month.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I had similar tire wear, though not quite as bad, some years ago when I installed a set of Airlift 1000s in the rear. I carry a lot of tools and the Airlift bags helped carry the weight in the rear but they also lifted the rear and that changes the alignment.

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
@coolride im thinking the hub cause the wear..however when i went to investigate it initially the first thing i saw was the driverside stabilizer link was disconneted..the lower nut came off..idk if the combination of no sway bar link and messed up hub and caused the wear..or if no sway link caused hub to fail

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
@TJBaker57 i did put some airbags in the rear to help when i have to carry a load for my business..but the bags are lower than the springs..its just for when i have a heavy load she doesnt sink.the bags are inside the springs.when its not under load its supported by the springs..that shouldnt effect the alignent should it? Only loaded up 3 times in the last few months. @xavierny25 what brand are those airbags?

Uncleenvoy

Original poster
Feb 12, 2020
Ny
Notice coolant was low so thought i needed a top off..nope..major radiator leak and the damn thing was operating at normal temperature..do these vehicles have a low coolant warning that should come on and mine is not working, or do you just wait till it overheats and blow the engine cause i had no clue..guess i should be happy i noticed while im waiting for the wheel hub..put in the new radiator yesterday

Attachments

• 20200816_161147.jpg
    20200816_161147.jpg
    676.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20200816_161118.jpg
    20200816_161118.jpg
    476.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200816_161113.jpg
    20200816_161113.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 10

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
@Mooseman are the acdelco or dephi(if delphi makes them)..from china also

No idea. Never bought them as they are usually too expensive.

This thread is getting too off-topic. For any new issues, please start a new thread in the appropriate section.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online