Bose Stereo toast. Replacement Recommendations Please.

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Well, I got a great couple of weeks with my Bose stereo and C.D. player working and sounding great. It appears that the whole stereo is shot now. The C.D. loads and functions but no sound is coming from the C.D. player or the radio. Something in the tuner/amp is bad. It was great while it lasted.

So....moving on. I am looking for a replacement unit. Something that will have good sound like the Bose, has a C.D. player and is Blue Tooth Compatible. Thx...

nnorton44

Aug 5, 2021
Indiana
Okay well you stated it could be the amp which is in the trunk and separate from the head unit. If that is bad it’s going to need to be replaced or a new head unit won’t solve your issues.

What is your budget? That will really depend on the recommendations you will receive. This can get pricey, just the wiring harness to retain Bose speakers amplified is around $100, then if you want still have steering wheel controls that adds cost, etc…

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
The amp is toast mate.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You need to figure out what failed specifically...

I doubt its the radio, but it is possible. If you put in a new radio, and the amp is bad, your going to be pissed. The same Vice-Versa.

Do you still have the old radio that you got the parts out of? Put it back together, using your old parts, you can use it as a test platform to confirm the radio is good or not.

BlueTooth is an easy add on for the right radio. I have a bluetooth module in my XUV, and my Esky, both are on factory radios. But your radios wont work with the module, as they arent XM compatible. AM/FM = not XM Compatible. BAND = XM Compatible.

For testing, you pull your current radio out, with no radio installed, turn the key to accessory, NOT TO ON or START, count to 5, then plug in your other radio, and test it out. If it works, then unplug your donor radio, and plug in your rebuilt radio, and test.

Parts radio works?
Rebuilt radio works?

This will tell you what you need to know hopefully.

EDIT: Where are you in the world? Your profile isnt complete, so I cant tell.
EDIT#2: Dont forget to check the fuses for the BOSE Amp.

Last edited:
Reactions: c good and Mooseman

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
You need to figure out what failed specifically...

I doubt its the radio, but it is possible. If you put in a new radio, and the amp is bad, your going to be pissed. The same Vice-Versa.

Do you still have the old radio that you got the parts out of? Put it back together, using your old parts, you can use it as a test platform to confirm the radio is good or not.

BlueTooth is an easy add on for the right radio. I have a bluetooth module in my XUV, and my Esky, both are on factory radios. But your radios wont work with the module, as they arent XM compatible. AM/FM = not XM Compatible. BAND = XM Compatible.

For testing, you pull your current radio out, with no radio installed, turn the key to accessory, NOT TO ON or START, count to 5, then plug in your other radio, and test it out. If it works, then unplug your donor radio, and plug in your rebuilt radio, and test.

Parts radio works?
Rebuilt radio works?

This will tell you what you need to know hopefully.

EDIT: Where are you in the world? Your profile isnt complete, so I cant tell.
EDIT#2: Dont forget to check the fuses for the BOSE Amp.
UPDATE: I'm in San Diego, California. Was able to get radio and C.D. working again. I pullled the Head Unit out, looked it over, pulled the 15 amp fuse under the rear seat. Reinstalled Head unit....reinstalled 15 amp fuse. Everything re-set and it good for now. Electrical gremlins will be the end of me! Thanks all for the input.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online