Bose stereo just died

dr-wall

Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
Hello everybody, I have a 2004 GMC Envoy SLT with 204000kms and am very happy with her. Today, I took her through a hand car wash but the attendants forgot to close the vented sunroof....(also my fault but they are required to check)
As I got in, I noticed the readout on the stereo was not normal. It contained half words and the radio couldn't be turned on.
I noticed the headliner wet but not dripping, water was dripping from the rearview mirror, and water was dripping from the garage door opener/voice recorder. Water was also dripping from the sunroof area.
I showed the owner the problem but he would not take responsibility. He said that the interior wasn't dripping with water and showed that the carpets and much of the headliner was not wet.
Slowly, what little that was on the radio display faded out. Now I have now radio at all.
Any suggestions?
I was hoping that the radio would dry itself out and miraculously come back on but I think that is wishful thinking.
Would taking off the negative battery connection for a minute reset things?
Everything else in the truck works so I am baffled. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Walter

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Honestly, I don't think disconnecting the battery is going to do anything. Time for a new HU.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:iagree: If you've potentially got soap, and any other chemicals they may have sprayed up there, inside your radio... I think that's a wrap, time for a new one. :yes:

Reactions: Redbeard and Matt

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
A shame. Think of this as 'opportunity' (you can get Bluetooth phone pairing, etc., in a new head unit.)

The speakers will likely survive some wetness. The amp is in the back under the side panel, and likely safe. Get one of the PAC or Axxess conversion harnesses, and you'll have an easy install w/ the new HU along with preserving the rest of the audio system (unless you want to rip it all now - again, an 'opportunity' :dielaugh: )

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
And a lot simpler than getting even a used factory unit as it would require VIN coding.

dr-wall

Original poster
Feb 24, 2014
Hello everyone, thank you for your advice. Getting a new unit seemed like a great idea since they are actually very cheap. New units have Bluetooth and satellite ready which are great features....now the bad news.....I thought I'd only have to pay $179 for a cheap unit and $100 for install for a total of $279 plus taxes......boy was I wrong.....estimate I got was $800 because you have to buy a $225 wiring harness just to get it to work.
Then you have to pay for programming to get the steering wheel controls to work. You also have to pay for a "special" satellite radio antenna that works with the unit.........so about $800 bucks taxes in.
I think I'll pay $150 for gm install and unlocking then $100 for a unit from the wrecker.
I don't drive the truck year round, in fact I'm putting her away till next November this weekend.

FearlessAZ

Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
That is because those are shop rates. Wiring harness is probably half that, if not, less that that. The satellite radio can be added at a later time, if desired. Never messed with steering wheel controls.

Even $100 for install is crazy given how easy it is to do and you can do it yourself.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I would go to Crutchfield.com and punch in your vehicle info and see what they give you. They are not the cheapest but will give you all the info you need to put the system in.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
you have to buy a $225 wiring harness just to get it to work.
Then you have to pay for programming to get the steering wheel controls to work. You also have to pay for a "special" satellite radio antenna that works with the unit.........so about $800 bucks taxes in.

Bullshit. The harness is about $100 from Amazon, Sonic, Crutchfield etc for one that will also let the steering wheel controls function. Do you need sat radio with bluetooth and the ability to play mp3's from a flash drive? All in, for my HU and harness was about $315 and I did the wiring myself because the harnesses come with very good instructions.

FearlessAZ

Jun 7, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Dash kit is like $10. Wiring harness is $90 (Bose, retain onstar and steering controls). Antenna adapter is like $5.
Please correct me if I am missing any essential audio install parts.

Those are all Amazon prices and easy enough to do yourself. You are in at $105 at that point. You could get a pretty decent receiver and your satellite radio and still be under the $300 price point.

If it was me, I would just get a good receiver and add the satellite radio at a later time. Either way, nowhere close to that $800 mess.

Reactions: Matt

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
I would agree on the above post. I bought the PAC Rp5-gm11 module that took care of Bose, OnStar, and steering wheel switches. OnStar I really didn't care about. Point is very easy to do yourself. PS that module was 95 dollars on eBay. It included the chime box and antenna adapter.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Where's Ortonville? I'll source the parts and come install it for you for gas / beer...lol.

Seriously, it isn't hard at all with a harness.

Reactions: xavierny25

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
Hello everybody, I have a 2004 GMC Envoy SLT with 204000kms and am very happy with her. Today, I took her through a hand car wash but the attendants forgot to close the vented sunroof....(also my fault but they are required to check)
As I got in, I noticed the readout on the stereo was not normal. It contained half words and the radio couldn't be turned on.
I noticed the headliner wet but not dripping, water was dripping from the rearview mirror, and water was dripping from the garage door opener/voice recorder. Water was also dripping from the sunroof area.
I showed the owner the problem but he would not take responsibility. He said that the interior wasn't dripping with water and showed that the carpets and much of the headliner was not wet.
Slowly, what little that was on the radio display faded out. Now I have now radio at all.
Any suggestions?
I was hoping that the radio would dry itself out and miraculously come back on but I think that is wishful thinking.
Would taking off the negative battery connection for a minute reset things?
Everything else in the truck works so I am baffled. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Walter
Are you in Ortonville?

Where's Ortonville? I'll source the parts and come install it for you for gas / beer...lol.

Seriously, it isn't hard at all with a harness.
Ortonville is a little Burg about 7 miles north of Clarkston. It's on m15 about parallel to Oxford.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Oops - it's the OP that's self-install averse, not you. Sorry about that. I found you - Oakland Cty - so you're about 6hrs away. But you don't need the help.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online