NEED HELP Bose audio problem on 2009 Envoy

Waterski

Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
New Orleans
I have a 2009 Envoy SLT with the bose audio. Problem the radio lights up but no sound for about 30 minutes into my drive then all of a sudden it comes on and sounds normal. I also noticed my door and headlight chime does not work. Any help would be appreciated.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Sterling Heights, Michigan
Welcome to GMT Nation!

I'm having a similar problem right now. Are you using the stock radio/nav unit?

Mine will not play audio until the radio is on and I open one of the doors. The radio turns on and is functional, but no audio until I open a door. Try opening a door and see if that turns that sound on.

I'm still trying to track down the issue if it's a ground or wiring issue from the previous owner. My thought is that I have either a bad stock amp or someone installed an amp and it is wired incorrectly.

Waterski

Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
New Orleans
I have a 2009 Envoy SLT with the bose audio. Problem the radio lights up but no sound for about 30 minutes into my drive then all of a sudden it comes on and sounds normal. I also noticed my door and headlight chime does not work. Any help would be appreciated.
[/QUOT
Welcome to GMT Nation!

I'm having a similar problem right now. Are you using the stock radio/nav unit?

Mine will not play audio until the radio is on and I open one of the doors. The radio turns on and is functional, but no audio until I open a door. Try opening a door and see if that turns that sound on.

I'm still trying to track down the issue if it's a ground or wiring issue from the previous owner. My thought is that I have either a bad stock amp or someone installed an amp and it is wired incorrectly.

Thanks for replying. My radio is the original Bose audio no Nav. I am trying to find the ground wire.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
The wiring diagrams for your vehicle can be found in Mooseman's signature.

Here is a similar post where he has posted to where you can view his signature:

EDIT: @Waterski JSYK. When you quote you have to enter the text you are responding with underneath the [/QUOTE]. Otherwise it's combined within the quote you are quoting.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
EDIT: @Waterski JSYK. When you quote you have to enter the text you are responding with underneath the QUOTE Otherwise it's combined within the quote you are quoting.

Fixed it.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Some observations from my end, which may prove helpful...

- 'No sound or chimes from HU' -- this happens to me on occasion, but even with an aftermarket radio installed (with appropriate module to enable chimes, etc. Because of this, I've started leaning toward an intermittent bus issue, which may be difficult to track down, at best. BTW, the chimes are actually generated from the OEM head unit, which is why an aftermarket module is needed if the HU is replaced with an aftermarket one.

This 'no sound' problem goes away after I've arrived at my destination, shut off the vehicle, exited, and restarted (in other words, it happens so infrequently that I forget to test if a KOEO alone will 'fix' it. One of these days I will remember, but since I can't duplicate the problem at will... ) :confused: Also, since it 'goes away' on next restart, and most of my trips in the Envoy are fairly short, it's not a major concern to me, TBH. Prolly another reason why I keep forgetting to try and isolate it further, when it happens.

Finally, I've noticed more people reporting this 'no sound' / no chimes issue in the last few months. What I don't know yet is what percentage of owners will eventually be affected. It's not 'everyone', or we'd have heard more on this, by now. Something in the bus network or the HU degrading over time, is all I have, 'for now'.

- 'The amp'... After having 3 different vehicles with the Bose amp (similar vintage; two Sierras and an Envoy), and all of them exhibiting (different) problems, along with the same issues in another one that I got from a member here (not a scam issue; just relaying that it eventually broke as well), along with many other posts from people here also relaying similar issues... I've deduced that these are an ongoing issue as our vehicles age. Thankfully, this can be resolved by replacing the amp -- either with an aftermarket unit, or by using the internal amp of an aftermarket HU / receiver, if that's sufficient for your needs.

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
I think we do actually have the same wiring problem. We'll be working together on this one for sure!

So you also have an aftermarket radio that this happens with as well? Which brand/model interface and head unit are you using?

I'll look into the wiring to the chimes. I think that's what the issue is for both of us. When I open my door with the radio on. I only get sound AFTER I hear the door chime. It ends up being about 2 seconds after I open the door. So, I don't think it's necessarily a ground issue, but could still be a grounding issue.

Edit: Do you have the DVD player?

Last edited:

Waterski

Original poster
Feb 5, 2020
New Orleans
I think we do actually have the same wiring problem. We'll be working together on this one for sure!

So you also have an aftermarket radio that this happens with as well? Which brand/model interface and head unit are you using?

I'll look into the wiring to the chimes. I think that's what the issue is for both of us. When I open my door with the radio on. I only get sound AFTER I hear the door chime. It ends up being about 2 seconds after I open the door. So, I don't think it's necessarily a ground issue, but could still be a grounding issue.

Edit: Do you have the DVD player?
My radio is the original Bose that came in the Envoy. My sound does not come on when I start the car. It comes on about 30 minutes later as I am driving down the road. When it does it just comes on all of a sudden. I found an amp on Ebay. I going to try that. No DVD player.

Reactions: Maverick6587

Maverick6587

Dec 16, 2018
Radio On signal wire is the pink wire coming from the amp (pin B11, pink wire) going to the radio connector (pin B3, pink wire). The ground wire for the amp is at G401 and G402.

Check the following:
fuse 41(radio fuse) & fuse 11 (amp fuse) in the rear seat fuse box.
Amp Grounds - Grounds G401 and G402 - Pin A at the amp and Lower Left and Right pillars
Radio & Radio Receiver Ground - G102 Left side under hood near fuse box

Radio signal control coming from the Body Control Module is coming from pin C1 (white wire) on the BCM. C1 is connected to the Wiper Washer system. As long as your Wiper Washer system if functioning the signal from the BCM should be good/ok.

Edit: My bad on thinking you had the aftermarket. I'm busy at work and didn't notice it was Reprise that posted that.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Yeah, that was me...

To answer your question, I had a Pioneer AVH-3800BHS (?) in the dash for about a year when I first noticed this happening. Adapter interface was a Metra / Axxess GMOS-04; I also had the add-on module (ASWC-01 ?) for the steering wheel buttons. Those both installed / worked just fine, no issues whatsoever. And no wires were cut on the GM harnesses (although I did disconnect the OnStar module at some point, unrelated to the radio).

It wasn't until I took out the Pioneer (to put in my Sierra) and put the OEM back in the Envoy that I noticed it happening with the OEM, too. That's when I figured out it wasn't HU-specific. Didn't have the Pioneer in the Sierra long enough to know if it would happen there (I sold that one, bought another Sierra... and then misplaced the Axxess harnesses. STILL can't find them... ::grrr:: )

My Envoy's stock radio has the single CD transport, no DVD (it's an '03). Outside of some worn labeling on the knobs / buttons, it works fine. Amp is still the OEM Bose (for now).

Reactions: Maverick6587

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.