Bose Amp Help!

stealthyscooby

Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Heres the skinny:
I bought the stupid axxess gmos-04 interface module for my 06 tb ext lt (bose, onstar) and now my volume out put is piss poor!!! Everything is soldered correctly I've ran over all wires and connections and all is good.
PROBLEM: I have to crank the volume to level 30 of 34 for a listening level where as before with the same radio in my old tb (bose no onstar) to level 18 and it was solid loud!
QUESTION:
I would like to do a basic wiring harness for an after market and I need to find WHAT wire is the bose amp trigger wire at the stock head unit location. So if anyone knows what wire on the bose amp at the head unit that connects to a 12v switched please let me know!!
I've searched for 3-4 hours last night and at this point I've been told solid pink or solid white :-/ any other information would be great because at this point I'm under the impression I will have two wires to connect out side the harness, constant 12v and switched 12v(for the bose amp)
Thanks for all the help!

Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
I can't believe no one has responded to your question after this long man! So sorry, here is a schematic that should help you out.

:2thumbsup:

Edit: For the volume problem I am wondering if the interface has a gain adjustment? also It could have something to do with the mute signal wire on Pin B1?

Attachments

• boseamp.jpg
    boseamp.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 59

stealthyscooby

Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Thanks I just needed to make sure I had the correct diagram!! Thanks for your help. I decided to try the pac RP5-GM11 unit as everyone that's using it has tried the axxess gmos-04 unit with bad luck. So if this run through fails, I'm going to try this with your wiring diagram!! Again thanks so much!

stealthyscooby

Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Just saw your edit, not volume adjustment on the module except for the chime. So I'm sondering if like you said, it may be in a mute mode so I will cut the brown wire and leave it open and see if if turns up. That theory makes sense since half of 30 is 15 which is normal ear pleasing volume

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
That is what I was thinking too, i don't remember what signal it want for mute mode so you may want to check it with a meter? It probably is looking for 12v to turn off mute but it could be the opposite and it could also look for a ground. but if it is getting 12v now cutting it should remedy the situation, or vice verse.

:ok:

Good Luck!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The GMOS-04 does have a gain adjustment, as per their instructions:
http://www.metraonline.com/files/products/INSTGMOS-04_web.pdf

Audio Level Adjustment
1) Start your vehicle and turn on the radio having audio playing.
2) Turn your aftermarket radio’s volume up ¾ of the way.
3) With a small screwdriver adjust the potentiometer clockwise to raise the audio level and counterclockwise to lower the audio level.
4) Once at desired level your audio adjustment is complete.
I know I had to adjust mine as it was too low. All's good. I had tried the PAC before and didn't like the audio quality since it used the speaker outputs of the HU instead of the line out.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
:confused:

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
stealthyscooby said:
I know!! But seriously, I only have a chime pot NO volume pot
Read the instructions, the pot adjusts both chime and output volume... Instructions tell you how to do it.

stealthyscooby

Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Well.. the instructions I found online mentioned two pots but after my flogging molly concert tonight I turned my volume half way and adjusted the pot and sure enough it runs both :-/ still got a pac RP5-GM11 in the mail so we'll see what happens. Thanks for everyones help!!! As always greatly appreciated!! :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I knew I wasn't crazy :wooot:

stealthyscooby

Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Update: I returned the gmos garbage after I ordered the pac RP5-GM11 system (saved me $90) and I had a much better outcome, literally everything works now with this unit! Thanks for all the help guys!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I too am having issues with my GMOS-04 (alternator noise and too low chime) but I had a PAC interface before but it used the speaker outputs of the radio rather than the RCA outputs. Because of that, it didn't sound as good as the pre-amp outputs. Can this PAC model use the pre-amp outputs? The installation instructions doesn't say either way.

stealthyscooby

Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
Only rca's I am using are for the rear entertainment sound (oem rear dvd player) because using the pac system you loose the head phone Jacks in the rear and my two year old won't wear headphones. Ps I plugged a speaker in so he could hear. Now it comes out the rear speakers BUT your radio has to have dual zones. Other then that I used the factory speaker wire connections on the harness..... does that make sense?? Lol

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Got an answer from PAC:

Hello,
The RP5-GM11 uses speaker outputs to the radio. http://pac-audio.com/productDetails.aspx?ProductId=1170&CategoryID=26

[SIZE=11.5pt]Thank you,[/SIZE]

[SIZE=11.5pt]Scott Thornsburg[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]Technical Support Advisor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=11.5pt]AAMP of America[/SIZE]
[SIZE=9pt]www.aampofamerica.com[/SIZE]
Well that sucks as I really didn't like the sound using the speaker outputs. What decent HU doesn't have pre-amp outs these days? Much cleaner sound.

Jevers2020

Nov 16, 2018
California
If you want to use the pre outs with rp5-GM11 you can wire RCA jacks onto the harness coming from the gm11 just make sure you plug the harness into the NON amplified side of the gm11 module as the gm11 has a built in LOC on the amplified side and that’s why it sounds like crap

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
If you want to use the pre outs with rp5-GM11 you can wire RCA jacks onto the harness coming from the gm11 just make sure you plug the harness into the NON amplified side of the gm11 module as the gm11 has a built in LOC on the amplified side and that’s why it sounds like crap
The thread is about 4 years old that you are replying to.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online