Bose 6 DISC Changer need to get CD's out

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
My daughters 6 Disc changer wont eject/play the CD's the remove fuse trick doesn't work. I have taken the radio apart and installed it with the CD Changer hanging out the top, upon hitting eject the red or was it blue lights come on but their is no motors moving, it then says Remove the CD as if it just ejected it.
View attachment 28601
I have removed the CD Changer and put her radio back in the car so I can figure out how to get these cd's out. I see you can possibly take the top off but then all the springs supports are going to go PING across the room or let gears drop.. I am guessing.
Is there a trick to getting these out? They need to go back to the LIBRARY!!! ugh... dont even want to get started on that!

I tried doing some searches on this but found nothing

Attachments

• stuck1.jpg
    stuck1.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 8

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
My whole take on complex devices is that if it isn't working right then it's broke. Are you going to be able to find replacement parts to fix it? Probably not unless it's a common part.

Working on electronics is delicate work sometimes and if you aren't comfortable keeping track of small parts then you probably won't be able to fix it unless there is something jammed in there.

So if you are confident something isn't jammed in there and it just stopped working on it's own accord, then what I would do is start taking it apart.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
CaptainXL said:
My whole take on complex devices is that if it isn't working right then it's broke. Are you going to be able to find replacement parts to fix it? Probably not unless it's a common part.

Working on electronics is delicate work sometimes and if you aren't comfortable keeping track of small parts then you probably won't be able to fix it unless there is something jammed in there.

So if you are confident something isn't jammed in there and it just stopped working on it's own accord, then what I would do is start taking it apart.

Yeah I am no stranger to tearing electronics etc apart, Just wondering if there is a trick to this. I see GM will get the cd's out for a price.
I am assuming a motor is shot in it. I have a replacement changer unit if I need to just start cutting metal.
I started to take the top off and saw the gears were being held in place by it, so I put it back together and thought to ask before just doing it

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
There is no trick that I am aware of. You will have to take it apart piece by piece in a specific order. Like they would at GM to get the CD's out. There is no reason to use force to take such a fragile thing apart. Once you get to a certain point the CD's should just fall out.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
:iagree:
pay attention to each part as you disassemble it. Go slow.
I have called dealerships that are out in the "boonies", always in a different state, for help on various problems. Very helpful, because they are usually slow, and I just say I am hours away-is there any quick fix?

If the radio/player is shot, what's stopping you from breaking that thing open in seconds?:rotfl: sorry that would be my approach depending on the cd that's in there:rotfl:

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
ah well I found the trick.... I thought the center post looked suspiciously too easy to twist off. I used a screw drier and just applied force so the center piece untwisted and fell between the cd's. then applying some force was able to get each cd's out unharmed, pushing down on the loose center piece so they could get by it. The outer edges rubbed some metal but that is ok,

View attachment 28605 After I got them all out I twisted the center piece back into place...

View attachment 28606

Attachments

• cd2.jpg
    cd2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 6
  • twist2.jpg
    twist2.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 6

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Nice! Now I won't have to break mine when it happens.
Any idea on what it may have been or if a simple fix will still operate a cd?

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
Nice! Now I won't have to break mine when it happens.
Any idea on what it may have been or if a simple fix will still operate a cd?

not sure yet. I haven't tried putting it back in the radio to see if it will work. I had bought a replacement radio because my daughter smashed the faceplate on hers. When I realized the replacement would need a VIN program from GM, I just swapped the face off the one I bought. now if this changer doesnt work I am going to swap the changer out of that one. I noticed hers has some extra bolted on circuit to the changer which I can attach to the replacement one. Not sure that will work but that wont stop me from trying.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
:iagree:
pay attention to each part as you disassemble it. Go slow.
I have called dealerships that are out in the "boonies", always in a different state, for help on various problems. Very helpful, because they are usually slow, and I just say I am hours away-is there any quick fix?

If the radio/player is shot, what's stopping you from breaking that thing open in seconds?:rotfl: sorry that would be my approach depending on the cd that's in there:rotfl:

Yeah if I didn't figure this out that is what I may have done! haha... especially if the replacement changer I have worked in her radio.

bspurloc

Original poster
Dec 27, 2012
well as a follow up...
It looked like I could fix the issue the 6 disc changer was having but I didnt feel like messing with it anymore. I got it to take a new cd in but the original issue that got them stuck was still present...
So I took the face off and put it back on the replacement BOSE/ONSTAR used radio I bought put it in the car, where it showed the FM channels no sound then finally noticed the VINs didnt match and LOCKED.
Brought the car to a friend who works at a dealer ship and as he went to program it told me he couldnt program it because it wasnt out of the same year car...
just idiotic... really?
had enough with this VIN# lock idiocy... bought a Sony CDXGT660UP and the GMS-04 module off amazon. so now the car has USB, inputs cool colored lights and another storage area under the radio.... same display of station/group/sound title

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishermandude

Members Online