Borrow a Scan Tool in Denver?

ssalvat

Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Arvada, Colorado
Hi All,

Apologies if I'm posting in the wrong place or this is considered a breach of etiquette, but by any chance does anyone live in the Denver area and have a scan tool they would consider letting me use? I have a 2006 GMC Yukon XL that is throwing p0172 and p0175 codes, from my research it looks like this can be caused by incorrect ethanol percentage readings, and I've used a cheap bluetooth scan tool to verify that the ethanol and trim level readings are way off as would be expected. However, I'm not 100% confident in the scan tool reading (I had to program the calculation myself, so no guarantee it's right) and even if it is the dealer wants $200 just to confirm it. Does anyone have a Tech2 or similar capable of reading and resetting ethanol and trim level readings that they'd be willing to let me use? I can come to you, and I'd happily pick up a beverage of your choice (or just give you a donation) if you'd be willing to hook your scan tool up to my car for a few minutes. Please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am North of Denver, but loaning out the tool is a big no.. You are welcome to come to my residence, and borrow it. But it would not leave my property.

I also know very little about how to use the Tech2, as I just got it, and am working my way thru it. So any technical assistance, you would have to use your own knowledge, or bring someone that knows.

I also know very little about E85 sensors, or what all is involved there.

Last edited:

ssalvat

Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Arvada, Colorado
That would be fantastic, thank you! I'll send you a PM to figure out the details.

I know even less than you do about the Tech2, so if anyone happens to read this and have some advice it would be most welcome.

ssalvat

Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Arvada, Colorado
Thanks for the link, this is pretty much exactly what I think is happening. Using a cheap scan tool I've measured ethanol content around 50% (I've owned the car for almost a year and put nothing but regular unleaded in it, so no way it should be over 15%) and long term fuel trims around -20. The fix I've come across in other places is just to reset the ethanol and long term fuel trim values, hoping with access to a Tech2 I can do this.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Here in Colorado, its actually closer to 7-11%..

ssalvat

Original poster
Oct 7, 2020
Arvada, Colorado
As it turns out I had to take action on this sooner than I would have liked as the wife is suddenly itching for an emergency road trip using this car to tow a pop up camper. I really didn't want to pay $200 to a GM dealer so I ended up calling a local shop, Jim's Independent GM Repair in Denver. They told me to just come on by, hooked up their scan tool, confirmed my readings, reset everything, and then refused to take any money for it. Super nice guys too, I really can't recommend them enough. Do yourself a favor, if you're in the Denver area and looking for somewhere to take your GM vehicle, call Jim's (which is no longer run by anyone named Jim, and they don't even call themselves Jim's on the phone anymore, but they still have Jim's sign :smile:).

TollKeeper, looks like you're off the hook. Thanks again for your very generous offer and enjoy learning about your new toy!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online