body lift on 09 LT

EarlsTB

Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
TN
I am just wondering who has a body lift and what all goes into to it. I know that you lift the body and the bumpers but what about the radiator and the steering? Is it really that difficult and was it worth it in the end? I am wanting to run 33's on 20s with spacers. I know I can't do it with just the rc lift. Thanks for the input

EarlsTB

Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
TN
And I keep seeing 87 and 88 and z71 speings? What and where can I get them?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The body lift has the bumper brackets and the steering extension plus the radiator brackets. The bolts and spacers of course.

You have to do some cutting on the frame for the bracket in rear and the front bumper support and plastic get cut as well.

I did mine with hand tools and a sawzall in about 7 hours by myself. It was definitely worth it.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
There are no springs with a body lift

EarlsTB

Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
TN
I was talking bout for the suspension. I only want to take it apart once. I see the bilstein hd are used alot. Just wondering what springs I can put on them with the rc lift and springs to put on the rear

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
--I guess you can hi-jack your own thread--

I liked the 88s a lot. I have a set of Moog 114s I never installed that had similar specs. In the rear i would do Skyjacker c25r or just spacers.

Struts, the HD for sure.
Shocks, any white body with the longer length is fine.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The last two number of the GM part number for the different springs available to the platform. 82-89 were used or available.

Escapepilot

Sep 21, 2014
One thing to keep in mind w/ the body lift...if you want to go w/ a steel bumper like MDB Fabrication, don't use the front bumper lift part. As I recall, you can either lift the factory bumper OR use an MDB bumper built for the body lift, but once you raise the factory bumper, you can't go back. At least that is how it was explained to me when I did the bl.

Reactions: djthumper

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
He only sells kits now. He cannot build the bumpers.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
One thing to keep in mind w/ the body lift...if you want to go w/ a steel bumper like MDB Fabrication, don't use the front bumper lift part. As I recall, you can either lift the factory bumper OR use an MDB bumper built for the body lift, but once you raise the factory bumper, you can't go back. At least that is how it was explained to me when I did the bl.

Funny since I had the body lift and factory bumper before the MDB stuff existed and obviously have had several MDB bumpers on my truck. The lift for the factory bumper is a longer bolts and a sleeve, nothing permanent. You can easily swap back and forth between the two set-ups if you want. I have many times.

---EDIT -- You do have to add a couple washers for the sleeve to rest on to raise the factory after you grind the bit off for the MDB bumper. 25 cents extra for some washers if you do not have any around.

EarlsTB

Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
TN
I want to keep the rear bumper stock but upgrade the front. I live in TN so we have deer and turkey here and drive to Memphis some. (They can't drive!!!) Lol

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The rear bumper has some serious brackets to stay stock and requires some cutting to factory and notching the frame a bit, but it all comes together plenty strong enough for towing and what-not

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
There is an extra hole in the steering shaft you can slip a screwdriver in to help get the extension put in.

EarlsTB

Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
TN
Thanks hard trailz. Where can I find out the springs I have and the reared gearing?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Springs might have a tag on them or you may not be able to.

Gearing is found via one of the codes on the sticker in glove box

EarlsTB

Original poster
Oct 9, 2015
TN
I see G80 and I thought I might have gotten lucky cause is has X88 thought those might be the springs I will look for the tag

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I do not think the springs are on the glovebox tag, but I could be wrong

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
It is actually a mechanical auto locker not a limited slip. It is the best stock option for traction.

Reactions: Tiggerr

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.