Bluetooth options for my new-to-me 08 GMC Yukon Denali

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I've started a similar thread on one of the fullsize truck sites and thought I would ask members on the nation who own full size vehicles.

Last week, I purchased an 08 Yukon XL Denali with navigation. After reading a few forums on GM's OEM radios, I recently realized that bluetooth connectivity wasn't offered on their trucks until the 2009 model year...only a subpar Onstar pay-for-service interface.

I really want bluetooth connectivity with my phone and with streaming music. I almost put a new head unit in my Rainier to gain Bluetooth fiction but knew I would be selling it this summer. I've been reading about several options out there and would like to hear what other's are doing as a work around, without spending major cash on a replacement head unit, wiring harnesses, etc.

Scotche made a BlueFusion LAN GM module that, I think, has been discountinued. It can be found on sites like ebay though.

I've read about a system called Parrot. I'd rather have integrated steering wheel controls.

I've briefly read about a product from Isimple but didn't have great reviews on Amazon.

Finally, I did read about the possibility of changings out one's 08 Onstar/VCIM and installing a 2009 or 2010 one. From what I know, it would disable Onstar, but enable bluetooth functionality. Anyone done this?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I would like to be close to OEM in terms of fit and finish as possible.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Do you presently have steering wheel controls? If so there are kits that will take an after market radios and integrate it into the buttons. At this point you woul probably be better off with a new head unit.

Daniel644

Feb 27, 2015
for best sound when doing audio streaming you'll want something integrated to the headunit, most of the other things just run in thru the FM radio or some other crappy way of connecting. So you'll be better off just getting a good after-market radio.

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
The truck does have steering wheel controls. As far as integration, I wouldn't even consider fm modulation. I think the three aftermarket options all have harnesses that plug directly into the oem h/u. I'm seeing if anyone has used them before or the GM vcim switch out.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
Check out Crutchfield. If you still are unsure what you need, give them a call. They have excellent tech support and can help you find what you need. They are not the cheapest to buy from, but they are the best.

Busterbrown

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I just found a 2011 VCIM off an Ebay vendor that includes the bluetooth functionality and antenna. From the advice of member on another forum, it will install seemlessly and audio/video components remain 100% OEM. The only downside is the $200 price tag. From what this member stated, the VCIM will continue Onstar capabilites (if I wish to subscribe) and the ability to use their wireless app for auto start / lock doors. Vendor has 100% positive feedback and has sold many. I hope this is my solution.

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Mmccarville

Jan 21, 2020
Gainesville, FL
I just found a 2011 VCIM off an Ebay vendor that includes the bluetooth functionality and antenna. From the advice of member on another forum, it will install seemlessly and audio/video components remain 100% OEM. The only downside is the $200 price tag. From what this member stated, the VCIM will continue Onstar capabilites (if I wish to subscribe) and the ability to use their wireless app for auto start / lock doors. Vendor has 100% positive feedback and has sold many. I hope this is my solution.
I know it’s been a while since your post but I am now in the same exact position and preference for OEM buttons and head unit that were in previously. I don’t want to spend $1k on a new head unit + install. Did the eBay Onstar Bluetooth VCIM from 2011 model work? Did the steering wheel buttons and OEM microphone work alright? Anything tips having done this? Thanks!

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I know it’s been a while since your post but I am now in the same exact position and preference for OEM buttons and head unit that were in previously. I don’t want to spend $1k on a new head unit + install. Did the eBay Onstar Bluetooth VCIM from 2011 model work? Did the steering wheel buttons and OEM microphone work alright? Anything tips having done this? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! :tiphat: Unfortunately, that member hasn't been back on the site in over a year, so it's not likely they'll be providing an update.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online