Bluetooth and/or AUX for 2005 Rainier

HMan_Rainier

Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Maine
Hello,
I recently purchased a 2005 Buick Rainier with only 97000 miles! I couldn't be more happy with it, it rides great and has plenty of power.
The only inconvenience I have found is the lack of input from my phone for calls/music. I have been looking for a way to add either Bluetooth or a 3.5mm jack. The problem is my Rainier doesn't have satellite radio. I also really like the 6cd changer and would prefer not to have to get an aftermarket head unit.

Seeing as there are plenty of options for the models with satellite radio, I was wondering if it would be possible to get the wiring harness from one of those radios and attach it to my head unit?
Or if I got a OEM head unit with satellite radio could I install that and then tap those wires?

I am comfortable with DIY projects, it certainly doesn't need to be plug-and-play
I am open to any and all insight/ suggestions

Thank you very much,
HMan_Rainier

(Also, I'm new here, so if this isn't in the right place - sorry)

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
You can use an FM modulator that'll do pretty much what you want. Look at iSimple.

HMan_Rainier

Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Maine
You can use an FM modulator that'll do pretty much what you want. Look at iSimple.
Thanks for the quick reply,
I’d read a little about the FM modulators. I think that will probably be my fall back option. But I was really hoping for something a little cleaner - something hardwired.
HMan_Rainier

Reactions: Matt

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
You said you DO NOT have XM radio?

USASpec BT45-GM15

The website will show it doesnt work for your application, but it does as long as your radio has a BAND button, and not a AM/FM.

Problem is, with chip shortages, they dont have any in stock currently. They are supposed to start production on them latter this month thou.

Its a plug and play unit on the back of the radio, does BlueTooth, and streaming. Works great, have had one in my truck for YEARS!

HMan_Rainier

Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Maine
You said you DO NOT have XM radio?

USASpec BT45-GM15

The website will show it doesnt work for your application, but it does as long as your radio has a BAND button, and not a AM/FM.

Problem is, with chip shortages, they dont have any in stock currently. They are supposed to start production on them latter this month thou.

Its a plug and play unit on the back of the radio, does BlueTooth, and streaming. Works great, have had one in my truck for YEARS!
Awesome!
That's exactly what I was looking for.
Will it replace the AM/FM function of the radio (Not a problem, just curious)?
Thank you,
HMan_Rainier

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Does not replace the AM/FM function. It activates the XM portion of the radio (which all BAND radios have), and takes that over.

Be sure you dont have XM radio thou, if you hit the band button, and cycle thru the radio bands, if it comes to one that says XM, that means you do have it..

If your radio has XM, the above mentioned Bluetooth module wont work, but they do have another that will.

BT45-VETTE with XM
BT45-GM15 without XM

HMan_Rainier

Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Maine
Does not replace the AM/FM function. It activates the XM portion of the radio (which all BAND radios have), and takes that over.

Be sure you dont have XM radio thou, if you hit the band button, and cycle thru the radio bands, if it comes to one that says XM, that means you do have it..

If your radio has XM, the above mentioned Bluetooth module wont work, but they do have another that will.

BT45-VETTE with XM
BT45-GM15 without XM
Thank you so much for the information.
I double checked:
I do have the band button and I do not have XM, so I should be all set. As soon as they are back in stock I will order one.
Thanks again.

zaid3ssaf

Jan 1, 2020
Midwest

I use an FM transmitter with a cigarette lighter "power strip". With one button I can power my dashcam, FM transmitter, charging cable for my phone, and a tablet that I have tucked under the sun visor (for OBD and MPG tracking).

All cables are tucked in the trim (you have to take few panels off). People think mine is all stock because the don't see any cords.

HMan_Rainier

Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Maine

I use an FM transmitter with a cigarette lighter "power strip". With one button I can power my dashcam, FM transmitter, charging cable for my phone, and a tablet that I have tucked under the sun visor (for OBD and MPG tracking).

All cables are tucked in the trim (you have to take few panels off). People think mine is all stock because the don't see any cords.
Interesting,
Sounds like a clean setup.
Does it work for phone calls?
Any chance I could get some pictures?
Thanks,
HMan_Rainier

zaid3ssaf

Jan 1, 2020
Midwest
You can alternatively put the hub and everything inside the center console but I was too lazy to do that so I put the hub between the passenger seat and the center console. All wires go inside the trim all the way to the mirror (dashcam) and sun viso (tablet). I like the on/off switch on this hub so I can push one button when I get in/out to power on/off everything. No unplugging. For calls, you'll get the call on the radio. I let my phone use its internal mic but If you want to use the microphone on the FM transmitter, maybe mount the hub on the driver side so it's closer.

IMG_20211215_080338.jpg
IMG_20211215_080450.jpg
IMG_20211215_080510.jpg

IMG_20211215_080555.jpg

IMG_20211215_080422.jpg

IMG_20211215_080356.jpg

HMan_Rainier

Original poster
Dec 1, 2021
Maine
You can alternatively put the hub and everything inside the center console but I was too lazy to do that so I put the hub between the passenger seat and the center console. All wires go inside the trim all the way to the mirror (dashcam) and sun viso (tablet). I like the on/off switch on this hub so I can push one button when I get in/out to power on/off everything. No unplugging. For calls, you'll get the call on the radio. I let my phone use its internal mic but If you want to use the microphone on the FM transmitter, maybe mount the hub on the driver side so it's closer.

View attachment 102470
View attachment 102473
View attachment 102468

View attachment 102469

View attachment 102471

View attachment 102472
That is an awesome set up. You're right, it does almost look factory.
I'm definitely going to look into a system like this. Then I could get a dashcam too.
Thank you for the pictures.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online