Blown speaker

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
First of all let me say I have never seen a car have issues with radio speakers like this platform. If fact in my 40 years of driving I have never had a speaker just stop working all together like these cheap mexican GM speakers. The question is are the back speakers the exact same speaker as the fronts other than the front looks to have a separate tweeter. 2008 Ascender stock radio , non bose . I got the backs working one was blown back there and now I notice the driver front speaker doesnt work other than the tweeter part. I have one from back the which is fairly new that the dealer replaced but I took it out when I replaced the back two with new Kenwoods do to a blown driver rear speaker . If they are the exact same speaker I may just replace the blown one with the working one from the back for now , or are they different ?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Non Bose has 6.5" all around, I don't think there's anything too special about the speakers from front to back.

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Ok thank you , that's what I needed to know . I'll probably just pull the front door and replace it myself with the one I took out .

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Keeping the radio at a moderate volume also helps immensely. I do understand it's not really something a compromise that can be struck by some, I however managed to strike it to a point, my logic being that the louder it is, the more you may damage your ears, which would require making it even louder, which would just make it worse, and a vicious circle goes. But that's my opinion and preference and is most definitely not for everyone.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Nor mine. Oops...

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
BlazingTrails said:
I guess you wouldn't be impressed with my 1k watt stereo system
I am impressed by what people can crank out with the limited space and power resources of a vehicle, to be sure. It's just not for me in consistent regular use. There may be the occasional song that requires dialing it up, admittedly. :rotfl:

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
If wattage's are indeed different between front and rear speakers, with the rear being higher, it shouldn't blow anything by moving the rear to the front up since the impedance is the same. But depending on the difference in sensitivity, between the mismatched speakers, one may get louder quicker than the other.

Personally, i would just replace the fronts with after market also. I have bose so it is not that simple because of the weird impedance and non-adjustable crossover settings inside the bose amp. I replaced one rear speaker that quit working a few months after i bought the truck. Replaced it with another bose. This was also with the stock head unit. Which is a piece of trash as far as sound goes IMHO. Replaced it with a kenwood dnx9145 from my previous vehicle. Brought the highs and lows to life but it still is not tuned perfectly for me. I have tinnitus bad. I had it dialed in perfectly in the maxima but the bose amp has to have a crossover in it. The kenwood has sound shaping and a twelve band eq. Ill get it spot on one of these days. I have a spare rear that will put in if another one blows. But after that a bosectomy will be in store for the envoy. No subs in the rear for me.

IllogicTC said:
Keeping the radio at a moderate volume also helps immensely. I do understand it's not really something a compromise that can be struck by some, I however managed to strike it to a point, my logic being that the louder it is, the more you may damage your ears, which would require making it even louder, which would just make it worse, and a vicious circle goes. But that's my opinion and preference and is most definitely not for everyone.
Your logic is on point. Living proof of it here. Always had a ringing in my ears, since i was little. I had alot of ear problems as a toddler. The ear aches. and the ear drops that only gave slight relief. I can remember when i was five. The car ride to the hospital for my first surgery, tubes in my ears. I had a faint ringing in my ears that i recall from the ride in the car. As i got older the ringing did not get any louder and was easily masked with a fan or other background noise. Until now i could not say i regretted doing anything in my thirty five years producing carbon dioxide and nitrogen. I put a twelve inch sub woofer in my car. Got another car and that twelve was not loud enough even after i removed the rear dash speakers. So then i got a JL 13w7 and a JL 1000/1. I did not notice that the ringing in my ears got louder after seven years with the dub7 because i always had some background noise going to cover the ringing up. Now i am sitting here with a honeywell stand up air purifier running on high. The ringing is louder than the fan. I will never be able to enjoy pure silence. I find it most peaceful at the lake at night in the summer surrounded by chirping crickets and other insects. I think im going to ask my doctor about hearing-aides. They wont help with the tinnitus but to my understanding could help keep it from getting worse than it is now.

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I did find out the backs are 8 ohm and fronts are 4 ohm speakers. Also found out that the fronts are kind of hardwired in , soldered onto the speaker terminals , it does plug in above the whole speaker assembly and if you have to you can pull the connector off the speaker/tweeter assembly and plug in the pigtails that crutchfield will give you. Not sure whats going on with it , today it was working and seeing that the current speaker is soldered in it wasn't just a quick unscrew one and put in the other , pulled the connector a few times to get any corrorsion off and right now it works and sounds halfway decent with the new Kenwoods in the back. We will see if it cuts out when it gets cold out or not (hoping it was just terminal corrosion, nothing obvious just looking at the speaker still looks good. I don't normally play it real loud either usually half volume even this stock system is loud enough for me so the speaker issues should not be from playing them loud. Getting the one bolt thats at an angle in and out was kind of pain in the butt getting the door off and on , couldn't get it back in. Needed to have a magnetic socket set :smile:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Doesn't the head unit provide the watts???

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I think the fronts are lower ohms since the tweeters are in parallel with the main speaker. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel will give 4 ohms.

I replaced all the speakers with 6.5 inch Kickers and am very happy with them.

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Yeah going to have to replace the fronts , driver side keeps cutting out , specially when cold . If you get a warm day when the inside of the car warms up then it might work until the car cools then it wont work again . Probably will use the same Kenwoods I have in the back unless someone has something different that they like for less than $70 , don't want to spend a lot but want decent sound and they have to be efficient enough to run on the standard GM radio with the cd player.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Mark20 said:
I think the fronts are lower ohms since the tweeters are in parallel with the main speaker. Two 8 ohm speakers in parallel will give 4 ohms.

I once met a guy who went full Rockford Fosgate. Not just "let's toss some RF subs in the back, that's all the audio I need," I mean this guy had as much Rockford stuff as he could reasonably pack into his car. He was also obsessed with Pantera. I never knew their older stuff where it's not all "super-hifi ultra-clarity" like today's music could sound like it WAS ultra-clear super-hifi stuff. Pretty cool really, and there's a bunch of quality brands out there, it's crazy how they can transform something to sound so real.

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
HARDTRAILZ said:
Doesn't the head unit provide the watts???
The stereo provides the Watts yes, but the speakers Have a wattage Capacity which is what i was referring too. :smile:

Mark20 said:

NON-Bose Systems did not have tweeters, just (4) 6.5" speakers.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
So what does capacity of speaker matter if its above the output of stereo?

My fronts are 150 watt n rear are 100 but stereo only does 50 per channel so same speaker output occurs.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Depends on the speaker material and quality not wattage labels.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
BlazingTrails said:
There's a tiny tweeter built into the speaker pod, at least on the fronts. I remember cutting the speaker wires to them when swapping out my blown fronts when I first got my TB. It was something like 1" ~ useless

Reactions: vipergg

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
BlazingTrails said:
The stereo provides the Watts yes, but the speakers Have a wattage Capacity which is what i was referring too. :smile:

That's not correct there is a separate tweeter even on the standard radio in the front . I have had the doors off and looked at them .

vipergg

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
BlazingTrails said:
that is true, but generally higher wattage speakers have better bass response. so in reality the fronts are louder.
I would think if they have higher wattage ratings it probably takes more to drive them , so you probably are better off looking at the sensativity of the speaker you are looking at if you are looking for adequate sound out of the standard cd radio .

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
The wattage rating is different than impedance. The construction of the cone, surround etc is what determines the power handling of the speaker.

Edit: my truck has 4 6.5" speakers from the factory, no more no less. It is an Ls model. Maybe the Lt model had a secret tweeter? Also what are you calling a speaker pod?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Mine's also an LS. These are the front speaker pods (not my pic), you can see the tweeter.

TrailblazerStereo028.jpg

Reactions: BlazingTrails

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Is there even a cutout over that tweeter? I can't imagine that thing being useful at all.....

I do not remember seeing that on my truck, I may try to look again later. I see your truck is a EXT i wonder if that could be the difference?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The top rear corner of the speaker grille in the door exposes the tweeter, I assume that's why it has that funky shape. Vipergg has an '08 GMT360 and has this, so it doesn't appear to be a wheel base thing. Not sure why yours doesn't have it, I thought only the Bose ones didn't, since the tweeters were in the dash.

:undecided: I know there's a 'fleet' level LS, that has next to no options on them. You don't have fog lights right? Do you have an overhead console and/or Onstar?

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Blckshdw said:
The top rear corner of the speaker grille in the door exposes the tweeter, I assume that's why it has that funky shape. Vipergg has an '08 GMT360 and has this, so it doesn't appear to be a wheel base thing. Not sure why yours doesn't have it, I thought only the Bose ones didn't, since the tweeters were in the dash.

:undecided: I know there's a 'fleet' level LS, that has next to no options on them. You don't have fog lights right? Do you have an overhead console and/or Onstar?
It was equipped with onstar, it seems to have the normal LS stuff, it has heated mirrors. I have never seen an LS with factory fogs tho, that is usually an LT upgrade item. I will check this out and verify about the tweeters being in mine. I also had an 05 envoy swb 4x4 and i don't recall it having them either.

edit: it does not have an overhead console, just a double light in front. it has 3 overhead lights total in the truck.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
Blckshdw said:
Mine's also an LS. These are the front speaker pods (not my pic), you can see the tweeter.

TrailblazerStereo028.jpg
That's the style that was in my Voy. No crossover network, just hooked up in parallel.

I replaced the factory speaker with a Kicker that included a coaxial tweeter. The factory speaker appeared to be glued in and I decided to just leave it there. The original factory holder supports the new speaker.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online