Blown speaker question

shepherd92683

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
I've been around car audio for some time and haven't seen this one before. I have 2 sets of Boston Pro 60 se on a Boston GT4100. The mids are on 2 channels, the hi's on the other 2. Obviously x-over settings are all the same on the mids, gains, ohms etc but I had only one out of the 4 speakers blow. If they all receive the exact same signal (besides left and right) how can this happen? I could only think that maybe a voice coil was maybe built weaker than the 3 but that seems odd to me.

kickass audio

Aug 25, 2012
It is something like that but don't forget that sometimes the left channel plays more than the right since a majority of songs play most of the notes and stuff. I had the same thing happen before where I blew the diaphragm for my right tweeter but the left was just fine. I was clipping the signal a bit and pushing a TON of power to them (the tweeters are rated at 75w rms and I fed them 175, haha!!) I set my x-over up higher and turned down the gain to reduce the output to the tweeters and they sound so much better and haven't blown. Not each speaker is built the same so it is probably a fluke. Did you set your gains by ear or with an o-scope?

shepherd92683

Original poster
Dec 23, 2012
Wish I had an oscope... I match input sensitivity on my deck, also did my best to use the multimeter method. Plus I tried to calculate what the amp pulls at a given voltage, ex. at 14.4 let's say at the amp does 185w per channel. My deck has 4v preouts. If the mids handle 85 each, that's 170w. I don't turn the gain up to 4v, but a bit less than that. It's about as close as I can get to doing it correct imo by using all three methods.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 9

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackn3y

Members Online