Blower Speed Issue

David B.

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Hey all, I've been searching and haven't really seen this issue yet- my fan, when on speeds 1-3, always seems to blow at speed 3. Above that, it does actually change and begin to blow harder, all the way to the top speed. It's just that it won't go down below speed 3. I have the automatic climate control, if this sheds any light on anything. Thanks for any input, it's always appreciated!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The solid state component used in the automatic speed control module can fail in a way like you observe, but it's never been discussed before. You can either buy and solder in a replacement MOSFET, or just buy the module.

David B.

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Haha, is it a bad sign that I don't know what a "MOSFET" is? Thanks for the quick reply Roadie, LOL I suppose I should be looking for a new module. Anyone have a part number for this bad boy?!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
David B. said:
Haha, is it a bad sign that I don't know what a "MOSFET" is?
No, it's an electronic term that I don't expect everybody to know. But it's a HINT as to one search term that might lead you to the answer without asking. :raspberry:

http://gmtnation.com/f23/blower-motor-resistor-help-2053/

I'll notify Google that there must be an outage in your neighborhood. :wink:

David B.

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Yeah, I saw that thread before I posted- didn't know if it was the same problem. And of course, given my extremely limited electrical (at least automotive) experience, my eyes immediately glazed over and I began daydreaming about unicorns when I googled it. :smile:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online