Blower resistor - possibly a more permanent solution

whodwho

Original poster
Mar 7, 2019
CA
I have an 06 Envoy and it exhibited the common blower issue (for mine 1-3 was good and no 4,5) and researched the issue and had read on the connector burning up and needed to see if I needed to order that as well.

Sure enough it was melted as well, it was not as bad as others I have seen but needed replacing. While examining it I thought what is going to keep it from happening again if the factory connector is not up to the job an aftermarket one surely isn't if it hasn't been addressed.

Since I was facing replacing the resistor pack and cutting off the connector to replace it, I thought I would give this approach a go.

Fortunately the metal connections of the resistor were mostly intact so I cut down the shell of the connector and filed and cleaned the tabs down to good metal and applied a good dose of flux and tinned them. I cut the connector off with traces of the wire insulation for reference and soldered away.

I think this will be a more permanent fix to an issue we are surely to be faced with again with the original configuration and no new parts were needed.

uc

uc

16vcabman

May 10, 2018
Ortonville, Mi
Actually the reason the connector burns is the blower is drawing too much current. You need to replace blower and connector. You have created a bigger fire!

whodwho

Original poster
Mar 7, 2019
CA
Nicely done! Welcome to the Nation! :tiphat:
Thank you, I have a couple recent projects to share 8^)

Actually the reason the connector burns is the blower is drawing too much current. You need to replace blower and connector. You have created a bigger fire!
The source of the heat appears to be from resistance of the connections of the connector, I suspect they get looser over heat cycles and build additional heat until failure.

I did have that concern as well and checked for heat at the connections while running the blower at all speeds, if it was from drawing too much current I would hope it was designed that the fuse would be the weaker link!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online