Blinkers on hyperflash

NelliM60

Original poster
May 9, 2016
Atlantic City, New Jersey
I had replaced the original standard light bulbs with Xenon HID lamps on the low and high beam headlamps. No problems. I switched the standard bulbs for dual color LEDs in the parking/flasher compartment and switched standard bulbs in the front yellow corner parking/flasher for LED bulbs. Problem: the right and left blinkers go on hyperflash but on hazard blinking, they go at normal controlled-flashing. Somebody please tell me what is going on. It does the same to the tail lights (which are standard bulbs), perhaps they're running in the same line. I went to a custom shop and the tech said he'd have to run a diagnostic review which is a per-hour service. Do I need to replace a relay / fuse or is it really that technical to figure out?
Thanks Guys.
('04 Chevy TB LS)

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Reactions: Mounce

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
The problem is the LEDs that you put in. There is not enough resistance for the flasher.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
and it thinks the bulbs are burnt out.

NelliM60

Original poster
May 9, 2016

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
As long as it is LED rated.

Don't trust Amazon's fitment guide. It is wrong half the time. For example, it says that module linked above is compatible with my Silverado, but it isn't because my pickup doesn't even have a flasher module. It is all done by the BCM on my truck.

NelliM60

Original poster
May 9, 2016
As long as it is LED rated.

Don't trust Amazon's fitment guide. It is wrong half the time. For example, it says that module linked above is compatible with my Silverado, but it isn't because my pickup doesn't even have a flasher module. It is all done by the BCM on my truck.
Funny you said that. I just did a thorough inspection in the fuse box in the engine bay and under the rear seat and found not one relay that came remotely close to the one I ordered earlier. Just cancelled the order and holding off until I find the correct one.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Check the one that X listed. That should be the correct one.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The flasher relay is not in the fuse box. It is behind the driver side kick panel below the steering wheel.

Reactions: Mounce

NelliM60

Original poster
May 9, 2016
Funny you said that. I just did a thorough inspection in the fuse box in the engine bay and under the rear seat and found not one relay that came remotely close to the one I ordered earlier. Just cancelled the order and holding off until I find the correct one.
It is. Just found it on the panel below the steering wheel. I was looking for a relay when I should've been looking for the resistor. X was on spot. Thanks All.

Reactions: xavierny25

shovenose

Apr 24, 2016
SF Bay Area, CA
Use Rockauto for part numbers then check on Amazon becuase sometimes they are cheaper there :smile: but yeah Amazon's fitment guide is total garbage.

Reactions: Redbeard

bullguy

Aug 14, 2012
Open the flasher relay and disconnect one connection you will not have hyperflash
i have uploaded a pic you can see that clearly

Attachments

• 8EHHR.jpg
    8EHHR.jpg
    229.8 KB · Views: 48
Reactions: Matt

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
Open the flasher relay and disconnect one connection you will not have hyperflash
i have uploaded a pic you can see that clearly
Really is that all it takes? I have my OEM part I think I'm going to give this a try. Thanks @bullguy

Reactions: bullguy

bullguy

Aug 14, 2012
Really is that all it takes? I have my OEM part I think I'm going to give this a try. Thanks @bullguy
yes i have tried and success,before i had resistors i removed and did this mod. you can just unsolder that leg of ic and push it up no need of damaging the PCB

Reactions: Matt

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I was attempting this morning...no dice, the snowfall started covering everything inside the truck I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Disconnect the module from the truck, and mod it in the comfort of a warm house.

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Curious to know if this mod works. Definitely keeping posted

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Curious to know if this mod works. Definitely keeping posted

I don't see any reason the doubt him, if he's currently running the mod on his truck. This type of mod was discussed a few years back when a few of us bought the LED flasher module around the same time. Some of the more electrically experienced members started tinkering with the OEM modules to see if there was a way to save a few $$$ There was one guy who confirmed the trace cutting mod worked, and I think there was another that installed a jumper somewhere, that also worked.

yes i have tried and success,before i had resistors i removed and did this mod. you can just unsolder that leg of ic and push it up no need of damaging the PCB

07TrailyLS

May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
If it's that easy, why do most spend the 90 dollars on the updated flasher module.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
But modding the original is free!

Had I realized you could do that I would have not bothered with the resistors up front on my 02. Oh well.

Reactions: djthumper

bullguy

Aug 14, 2012
This is the original OEM blinker module after modification and its working perfectly fine, now its almost 3 years i have done this mod,even the cruise control is working fine without any problem.
Thanks

Attachments

• blink pic.jpg
    blink pic.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 30
Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

NelliM60

Original poster
May 9, 2016
Well, I didn't modify the relay under the wheel because I don't know the first thing about smoldering (I'd probably burn the whole truck up). However I did buy a pair of resistors which were easy installs. It solved the hyperflash problem indeed. It also disabled the drl feature. I've got yellow flashers, but the bluish-white daytime running lights are not coming on. I have seen many posts from people who want to disable their drl's for various reasons, but I love mine and want them running. They make my Street Queen look sexy at night with her new bluish-white hid headlights. Anyone have suggestions. I don't think our trucks have fuses for drl's. I've looked in the hood and rear fuse boxes.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Resistors on the signal bulbs should have no effect on the headlamps because they are totally different circuits.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
The headlamps are fine. The daytime running lights which run on the same bulb as the flashers are not working. The drl's stopped working after I installed the resistors.

I think you're talking about the parking/running lights. DRLs are run through the low beams. When you hooked up those load resistors, they should be connected like the 2nd image. Without seeing your setup, I'm guessing you have a connection on the wrong wire, maybe turn signal and running light, instead of ground.

LED_bulb_fix_zpsb889adf7.gif

NelliM60

Original poster
May 9, 2016
I think you're talking about the parking/running lights. DRLs are run through the low beams. When you hooked up those load resistors, they should be connected like the 2nd image. Without seeing your setup, I'm guessing you have a connection on the wrong wire, maybe turn signal and running light, instead of ground.

LED_bulb_fix_zpsb889adf7.gif
Yes you're right. I'm sorry for the using the wrong words, it is the parking lamp which is part of a dual feature with the flashers. The link below shows exactly what I installed. I just plugged it into the socket where the bulb goes and plugged the bulbs into the socket that came wired to the resistors. Perhaps I did something wrong?
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182330885628

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Interesting, I didn't know they made those, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I'd start by making sure the pins are making proper contact between the OEM socket and your adapters. Test for voltage where the bulb plugs in, with a meter. Seeing as there's a 2nd resistor, which is connected to the parking lights, if you don't have a meter (but you should) you can check it and see if starts to get warm after a few seconds of operation.

Reactions: NelliM60

NelliM60

Original poster
May 9, 2016
Interesting, I didn't know they made those, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I'd start by making sure the pins are making proper contact between the OEM socket and your adapters. Test for voltage where the bulb plugs in, with a meter. Seeing as there's a 2nd resistor, which is connected to the parking lights, if you don't have a meter (but you should) you can check it and see if starts to get warm after a few seconds of operation.
Okay I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Thanks for everything.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Yes you're right. I'm sorry for the using the wrong words, it is the parking lamp which is part of a dual feature with the flashers. The link below shows exactly what I installed. I just plugged it into the socket where the bulb goes and plugged the bulbs into the socket that came wired to the resistors. Perhaps I did something wrong?
Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/182330885628
They don't list to be compatible with the Trailblazers. It shows to be with the 2004 and not the 2006 but to the best of my knowledge they are the same.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online