Blew a rear speaker

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Hubby was checking the wiring of the speaker to make sure it was working properly...but it's blown. He mentioned that the front door speakers are "rear door" speakers, same as the ones obviously in the back.

I have the Bose upgraded stuff, and wasn't sure if this was normal, or if the wiring/speakers are off a bit? When hubby put the sound to the rear door speakers, the front door speakers stayed on. He said he THINKS the sound did dampen when switched to rear door speakers, but he isn't to sure. The speaker is not salvageable as it does not play at all.

Second question: With the rear door speaker blown, should I replace it with aftermarket? If I do one, I will do all of them. Hubby says the Bose speakers are actually better than aftermarkets, and if we do aftermarkets we may need to do door spacers? When it comes to audio stuff.....I am completely at a loss and totally confused. I leave ALL my wiring and audio stuff to Mat as he is more familiar with them.

Anyways, any feed back? I'm not entirely sure if we will replace with BOSE or if we will go aftermarket....I want to go aftermarket, but I'm sure there is more to it than meets the eye.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
Voymom said:
Hubby was checking the wiring of the speaker to make sure it was working properly...but it's blown. He mentioned that the front door speakers are "rear door" speakers, same as the ones obviously in the back.

The front and rear doors are way different. The fronts are more like fancy inverted woofers, the rears are more like a midrange. Neither play the high frequencies like the little speakers in the dash.

I have the Bose upgraded stuff, and wasn't sure if this was normal, or if the wiring/speakers are off a bit? When hubby put the sound to the rear door speakers, the front door speakers stayed on. He said he THINKS the sound did dampen when switched to rear door speakers, but he isn't to sure. The speaker is not salvageable as it does not play at all.

I've read that same complaint before. Not sure if it's just a bose quirk.:undecided:

Second question: With the rear door speaker blown, should I replace it with aftermarket? If I do one, I will do all of them. Hubby says the Bose speakers are actually better than aftermarkets, and if we do aftermarkets we may need to do door spacers?

Majority, including me, says it's ALL or nothing.

The bose amp also controls the EQ/crossover for all 6 speakers, and those settings are not adjustable. So, let's say you put typical 2 way coaxials in the front and/or rear doors. They will work, but won't get the full range signal to play the higher frequencies that they were designed to play.

There is a lot to be done if you want to ditch the bose system completely. If you are happy with the bose system, it would be easier to just swap in another OEM bose speaker and call it a day.:cool:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
May,

What about Polk db651's front and rear and db351's in the dash?

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
If they were in my TB I'd want all of them to have a full range signal. :yes:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
MAY03LT said:
If they were in my TB I'd want all of them to have a full range signal. :yes:

May,

I have tried searching for a picture of the BOSE OEM speakers for this thing, but can't find any. We're thinking that the speakers that are in the truck are actually aftermarkets :undecided:

Or at least the one that is blown out looks to be a possible aftermarket speaker.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
OEM bose (pics courtesy of Black LT)

Top left - rear door
Bottom center - dash
Right - front door

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

In the fist pic you can see that the door speakers don't have tweeter like a typical coaxial.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
MAY03LT said:
OEM bose (pics courtesy of Black LT)

Top left - rear door
Bottom center - dash
Right - front door

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

In the fist pic you can see that the door speakers don't have tweeter like a typical coaxial.

Thank you so much!! That's exactly what our speakers look like. I just would have figured that it would of said BOSE somewhere on it. We didn't have the BOSE sticker on the back of ours which is another reason why we were unsure. But I guess it looks like that's what we have!

Thanks again.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online