Bleeder screws

Stuntmanmike1977

Original poster
Nov 21, 2021
Sanford, Maine
Sorry if this was asked already but I need to flush and bleed the brake fluid BADLY! I have wire brushed them twice all 4 and hit them with PB Blaster twice. Last time was a few days ago. All 4 rubber caps are intact. What are the chances of these snapping off after all that? And do I need to bleed the ABS module or just all 4 wheels?

aaserv

Dec 1, 2019
N of Baton Rouge, La.
Ive never has a problem with them snapping off but Im no where near the Rust Belt. What I like to do on things I think MIGHT snap off is put a well fitting wrench on them, not a crescent or channel locks. Then lightly tap the wrench with a light hammer in BOTH directions....Loosening as well as tightening. Im not trying to break them loose at this point but only to jar them a lil and get a feel for if they will loosen easily. Id probably hit them again at this point with spray lubricant. If they feel like they want to move then go ahead and try to loosen. Maybe an 1/8th turn and then go back a lil. Repeat the process over and over going a lil farther each time and hitting it with the lube in between attempts.
Im a fan of using actual WD-40 during this as it is a rust dissolver and not really a lubricant. But thats just MHO.
As far as bleeding , I dont know about the ABS module Im sure someone else can chime in but what I do for the lines is get a big bottle of good brake fluid and keep replenishing the reservoir so it never comes close to being dry. Assuming there is no air in it now doing it like that will keep from inducing any air into the system yourself. I also use a small plastic hose over the bleeder valve and run it to a glass jar so I can see the fluid and flush it until its coming out clean AND without debris....

Reactions: Mooseman

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Here in the rusty north, I almost always put the oxy/ace torch to them. I can't tell you how many times I've had to replace calipers because of snapped off bleeders. However, this depends on the level of use of salt in your area. If they don't look too bad, use a 6 point socket to try and break them loose. If they don't let go at a reasonable torque, try some heat.

As for the ABS, you don't need to do anything special unless it has air in it. Just bleed the brakes as you normally would.

Reactions: Joe_67

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
There was a recent video on YouTube that I cant find.. It used some special tool and "rattled" them loose.. Wish I could find it!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You mean this one?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I'd do it with just a propane torch. They're big enough that they shouldn't melt. I'd use the flat side of a hammer and not overly hard. Just some good smacks to send some shocks to the bleeder.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I had a stuck bleeder on my passenger front on my 02. I gave up on it, didn't want to replace the caliper, and figured well it still works...

And wouldn't you know, that one (with all of the surely nasty ancient brake fluid in it) was the only one I never had to replace, and always worked perfectly.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.