Blazinlow's 2004 Trailblazer LS

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Figure it is time for my to start a build thread for this site.

Current Pic.

This is the oldest picture I can find, no tint, stock radio etc.

View attachment 19568

Truck purchased Oct 29, 2007 from a dealer in White Plains, MD. Had about 42k miles on the ODO.

It was taken to the shop to fix a few problems, new tires, lift gate 3rd brake light cover was flapping at highway speed, dings, and something else I cannot remember now lol.

Some of my first mods

View attachment 19572

View attachment 19569

Deezee dash kit

View attachment 19570

Old wire mesh "noob" grill

View attachment 4990

Fresh window tint (4 years ago)
and removed roof rack

I will post some more later but this was basically my first initial mods.

Attachments

• stock.jpg
    stock.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 402
  • door kit.jpg
    door kit.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 41
  • noob grill.jpg
    noob grill.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 40
  • tint old.jpg
    tint old.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 399
  • Deezee dash kit.jpg
    Deezee dash kit.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 45

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012

Attachments

• rear screens.jpg
    rear screens.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 32
  • screens.jpg
    screens.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 36
  • front screens.jpg
    front screens.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 32
  • Panasonic.jpg
    Panasonic.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 35

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That sucks that some of your stuff got jacked, but I bet it was one helluva party in your truck though! :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012

Attachments

• FireShot Screen Capture #009 - '2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - mechanicsville, MD owned by pimprol.jpg
    FireShot Screen Capture #009 - '2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - mechanicsville, MD owned by pimprol.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 34
  • FireShot Screen Capture #011 - '2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - mechanicsville, MD owned by pimprol.jpg
    FireShot Screen Capture #011 - '2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - mechanicsville, MD owned by pimprol.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 34
  • FireShot Screen Capture #012 - '2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - mechanicsville, MD owned by pimprol.jpg
    FireShot Screen Capture #012 - '2004 Chevrolet TrailBlazer - mechanicsville, MD owned by pimprol.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 37
  • front grill.jpg
    front grill.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 33

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I hit a deer around the end of December and was waiting till after winter (it never came) to get it fixed, but this what threw me into my current Mod bug phase.

View attachment 19582

View attachment 19583

View attachment 19584

This happened Jan. 3rd, came out to leave for work and realized real quick my day went from being sweet to real f-ing bad real fast.

I figured hell the shop is going to have the truck, they can fix the deer strike while its in. $3100 total for vandalism, deer strike was $3500.

Since then I have been on a Mod frenzy which is slowing down, and will most likely stop for a little bit until we can get some things where we need to be. Last mod until I need new tires will my headlights which are scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Attachments

• Missing window.jpg
    Missing window.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Window found.jpg
    Window found.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 33
  • Dash.jpg
    Dash.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 30

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
My first mod after all of this was to install a set of HID's. Kensun 6000k for both high and low beams.

View attachment 19587

Nice and Bright.

New LED tail lights, old ones had some cracks and bad scuff marks and scratches so they got replaced.

View attachment 19588

View attachment 19589

View attachment 19591

View attachment 19590

View attachment 19594

View attachment 19592

View attachment 19593

Also picked up an Avalanche LED 3rd brake light, a set of spider LED reverse bulbs

View attachment 19595

View attachment 19596

View attachment 19597

Yes my old light bar was really screwed up. The water on the bumper is what drained out of the old bar after I removed it. I love the new bar just need to fix my remote start issue.

Attachments

• HID.jpg
    HID.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 30
  • passanger.jpg
    passanger.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 169
  • driver side.jpg
    driver side.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 29
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 3rd brake light.jpg
    3rd brake light.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 170
  • spider.jpg
    spider.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 30
  • old light.jpg
    old light.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 29
  • spider installed.jpg
    spider installed.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 170
  • old vs new.jpg
    old vs new.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 29
  • crack.jpg
    crack.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Light bar.jpg
    Light bar.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 27

TexazReece

Dec 4, 2011
Sorry bout the breakin bro, people would rather take from others than work for what they want :mad: trucks coming along well :thumbsup: for your taillights the resistor is kind of just hanging did u tape it to the light housing, because I just got mine in and the resistor just hangs and seems like after installing and driving the weight from it will loosen then wiring for the led taillights?

Jkust

Dec 4, 2011
So they didn't take the visors or the rear tv's? Did your alarm go off? How did they get into your truck? That just pisses me off to see.
I actually like most of those mods especially the led rears. I'd have gone for the headrest mounted tv's i'm thinking.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
TexazReece said:
for your taillights the resistor is kind of just hanging did u tape it to the light housing, because I just got mine in and the resistor just hangs and seems like after installing and driving the weight from it will loosen then wiring for the led taillights?

My taillights have resistors built in, that is the wire for the LED bar. The white one was for the reverse. Now it sends activation signal to my reverse camera. I still have a few things to clean up.

Jkust said:
So they didn't take the visors or the rear tv's? Did your alarm go off? How did they get into your truck? That just pisses me off to see.
I actually like most of those mods especially the led rears. I'd have gone for the headrest mounted tv's i'm thinking.

They left the rears alone, the front visor ones however disappeared. To bad for them they ripped out the wiring harness for the visors which goes to the transformer and video converter box. I guess they could remove the screens. The HU was password protected. No alarm at the time, we moved closer to work in a nice apartment complex (guess it attracts these idiots), before that I lived in the boonies, I could leave my keys in the ignition with the windows down for 5 days and no one would mess with it. Go to the wrong place in this area and you are probably going to be running away from deer slugs or rifle bullets, courtesy of a pissed off redneck.

They decided to removed my window for me, guess it was some kind of performance mod they where trying to perform for me.

I thought about headrest ones, but I like the flipdowns cause they can swivel 60* each way.

I will have to post some pics of the girls Jetta, I put some headrest ones in it for her.

Yes I was pretty pissed, I was literally shaking as I called the police. Grabbed a flashlight and scanned the woods to see if I could see any thing but nothing. Oh well shit happens and its better now. Im just amazed they did not total the damn thing.

Thanks guys for the comments, I would like it to be at a different level but there are some limiting factors. I am still debating on the lift though.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012

Attachments

• 2013-01-21_15-35-23_165.jpg
    2013-01-21_15-35-23_165.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 2013-01-21_15-35-54_812.jpg
    2013-01-21_15-35-54_812.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 2013-01-21_15-41-04_642.jpg
    2013-01-21_15-41-04_642.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 38
  • 2013-01-21_15-25-41_301.jpg
    2013-01-21_15-25-41_301.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 34

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
The truck is looking good I like it!! That HU is looking clean and doesn't stick out! What was the model number for that sony and how well is it working?

You plan to get ss rims or drop the ride?

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Sony XAV-62BT. The new model is the 64BT IIRC.

The head unit works awesome, I paid well over double for the old one and the new one has about twice as many features. I am happy I do not have to burn DVD's any more to watch videos, they play straight off the USB in almost any format. The bluetooth is the best feature, streaming Padora with the ability to control pause/play/skip etc, same goes for MP3 over BT. The only issue I have had was when it rained for a week straight last week, the reverse camera started acting up. It got locked on the reverse camera screen and I could not do anything. I cut the wire in at the liftgate and the issues went away, I think the camera got water in it (paid like $10 for it off ebay)

As for plans, I have a lift kit already and being that its 4x4 and I like to do minor off roading that is my future plans. A set of SS wheels would be nice, but not a necessity. It may be a future investment after some other things are taken care of.

Thanks man, I like the look that coming on and hopefully I can get it to the level I want one day.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
You know what I personally would think would look really nice is if you make the inside panels blue. Color matching those would tie in nicely but thats just me its in the eye of the holder of course!! Keep up the good work on it!! :thumbsup:

D0M0

Aug 2, 2012
Wow nice ride! Looking really sweet! Personally, That's the look I was leaning towards (Lift, Aggressive tires). Everyone else has trucks with big rims.. I prefer big tires. lol

Thumbs up definately! :thumbsup:

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Im at it again, i have another thread going about parts brands and figured since it is turning into reality now I will add some stuff to my build thread.

Currently I am doing a front end suspension overhaul to help with some vehicles sway and some clunking (sway bar end links shot). Since I will be pulling it all apart I figured I would go ahead and throw in the lift kit (MarkMC 2.5") I bought off Janesy last year.

SO far on my list of crap ordered

Deeza tie rod ends- rockauto
Deeza Sway bar endlinks front and rear- rockauto
MOOG upper and lower ball joints- rockauto
MOOG strut mount bushings- rockauto
MOOG wheel Hubs- advanced auto parts (fiance bought one)
Bilstein HD struts- shock warehouse
KYB strut mounts- shock warehouse
Prothane Control arm bushings- prothane suspension parts
Marks 1.5" wheel spacers- LIFTmeister (fiance bought these too)
BDS 5500 rear shocks- BDS
Prothane sway bar bushings front and rear- autozone or advanced cant remember

I also ordered some new front speakers, going to move the POLK 2 ways to the rear and I have a set of PPI 6.5" components for the front (under $50)

Now I am waiting for the parts to arrive and hope to be a busy boy next weekend. I will post pics as stuff arrives and work begins.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Well the lift is installed, as well as most of the stuff I ordered (prothane bushings). I love the way it drives, it feels like a truck now :biggrin:, getting used to having steering that does not float now.

As for the job itself, none of it I would say is hard. It was a bit difficult not having an extra hand with any of it, not to mention fighting certain components along the way. The rear went pretty easy, my only complaint with that was fighting the sway bar end links. Passenger side required some sawzall action, driver side sawzall and die grinder (cut the shank for the ball rather than the bolt). Putting the springs and spacers in was easy as well as the new shocks. Only compressed the springs about an inch or so to get them to slide in. Took my 4 hours total with an hour of grinding.

The front was how do you say time consuming. The lower ball joint on the passenger side literally kicked my ass around and me wreak of failure. Spent 4 hours off an on trying to get it to go with no luck. Put heat to it, beat it everything I could think of. I went and did other things like the upper ball joint, strut etc then would come back. After failing to get it to budge I sprayed everything with some more PB blaster before putting my tools away. Being exhausted after 10 hours of work on Sunday, I cleaned up and went to eat and go to bed. The next morning I came out and decided to give another try, first attempt nothing. After some frustration I cam back with the 4 lbs sledge and hit the top of the BJ press. The damn LBJ popped right out. Feeling excited I was able to put the passenger side back together fairly quick, had the strut back in place, lower strut mount, new tie rod end, UBJ, LBJ, wheel hub and the new sway bar endlink (everything but the UCA). I had about an hour to finish tearing the driver side apart before having to get ready for work (needed a ride as the truck was on jack stands). Total time on Monday 5 hours.

Now comes Tuesday, I wake up at 6:30, being difficult as I get off at midnight and am usually up until 2 am. I walk the dog and get ready to go tear back into the project. By 8 I had the UBJ, and LBJ pressed out and the new ones in. Pulled the strut to swap out with the Bilstein HD and the lift spacer, now comes the F-you moment of the day. The top mounting bolt for the strut was so corroded that the allen wrench instantly rounded out the hole in the top of the OEM strut, figured ok lets go with the vice grips. Now the metal threads for the mount are starting to just fall off they were corroded so bad. Try for the metal piston, just spins. At this point I am at a cross roads, do I cut the nut, the piston, try and take it to a shop. After some debate and finishing up swapping the UCA's I come up with a plan. I put some more tension on the spring compressors to get the spring away from the top mount so it has no pressure behind it. I begin cutting straight down the strut rod with a sawzall, while the spring is compressed (This is a do not try this at home kids warning[/B). This is the most terrifying and dangerous backyard mechanic work I have ever had to do. I get the cut fairly straight and get to the nut, get about half way through the nut and then the top mount washer is next. I cut all the way down to the center nut washer and through, 4 dewalt blades later and 35 minutes the nut just falls off. I get the strut back together and installed as well as the new tie rod end, and go in to get a wrench and see the 1/2 upper spacer sitting on the tool box :hissyfit:. Get that put in and everything back together.

So I start doing final torque checks on the driver side around 10:30, wheel and spacer installed around 11:15. Go to passenger side and forget to set the torque wrench back to 35 ft/lbs for the pinch bolt, about 3 turns in POW. The bolt shears and I can only think WTF then realize my mistake. Find the old bolt and nut in my scrap pile and get that back in. I finish at about 12:15, clean up and call Mr. Tire to let them know Im bringing it in for an alignment. On my way pver I keep hearing a crunching sound, turns out the inner fender sheet metal is rubbing against the UCA :hissyfit:. So I drop it off and go to lunch with my Fiancee. Guy calls me and explains the camber/toe issue with the lift I tell him to get the toe straight and the camber should be ok as I can rotate the tires more frequently. He calls me back an hour later ( we were on our way back) and explains that they got it to well within specs and still had about 3/4" of threads in the inner tie rod. I had just enough time after heading back home and changing to cut some of the sheet metal out with the sawzall.

SO far I'm happy with it.

I also hacked off the hemorrhoid after all these years. Still need to weld a tip on.

Attachments

• Lifted.jpg
    Lifted.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Rear Lifted.jpg
    Rear Lifted.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 21
  • Front Together.jpg
    Front Together.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 168
  • Front Apart.jpg
    Front Apart.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 16
  • Box o crap.jpg
    Box o crap.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 15

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
I picked up a set of wheel adapters from Kyle (HARDTRAILZ) and since then I have been on the hunt for new wheels. I picked up a set of Enkei OEM Toyota wheels for $50, just had a set of Pirelli Scorpion ATR's mounted to them. They do stick out a bit tread about 1/2" side wall about 1", might look into doing some kind of flare to cover them a bit. I also picked up a set of Silverado wheels with a set of cheap tires for $20, still debating what I want to do with them. As for now I love the way it rides with the Pirellis, wheels look sharp on the truck.

I have also removed the rear tire winch and am looking into making my own rear tire carrier. I also need to get these bushing replaced in my upper control arms, they squeak terribly.

Attachments

• Front angle.jpg
    Front angle.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 20
  • Tire stack.jpg
    Tire stack.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 18
  • rear side.jpg
    rear side.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Front side.jpg
    Front side.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Corner front.jpg
    Corner front.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 21
  • enkei.jpg
    enkei.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 18

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Looks good man! Did you flip the upper control arms when you did the lift?

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
Darkrider_LS said:
Looks good man! Did you flip the upper control arms when you did the lift?

Sorry was looking through the thread and realized you asked me this. Yes I did flip the control arms, I need to replace them or the bushings though, shes been squeaking. Debating on whether or not to buy new ones and press in the urethane bushings I have, or just take mine off and take them to my uncles shop.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
First I installed some Hella 550 fogs, however I did not take photos of them installed. Just Imagine the smaller 450's only bigger.

I also installed a set of Hella 500 FF driving lights, while I will agree with James that the cornering lights provide more usable light, between my headlights, the 500's and the 550's I can light up a lot of area. Also had to install the MD plate to comply with outdated laws.

20131206_103849.jpg

I have the fogs wired up to come on with the running lights, so my new DRL's if you will. Works for me as I drive 5 miles to and from work everyday, and only use the truck for long drives. Also some ice from todays travels.

20131208_173104.jpg

The bull bar works very well for giving me a stable area to mount lights, while I do know the mixed feelings on them I can say it works for me.

Now for some light spreads

Hella 550 fogs only

20131208_180300.jpg

Fogs and Low beams (4300K 35w HID in the projector housing)

20131208_180318.jpg

Fogs, Lows and Hella 500's

20131208_180329.jpg

Of course Fogs, lows, 500's and the high beams (cheap H1 bulb)

20131208_180502.jpg

Just the fogs and 500's

20131208_180517.jpg

The Hella 550's will find new life atop my roof.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012

Attachments

• 20131229_133328(1).jpg
    20131229_133328(1).jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 20
  • roof lights.jpg
    roof lights.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 21
  • roof lights back.jpg
    roof lights back.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 19
  • wire.jpg
    wire.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 20

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Did you run the roof lighting wires through the spot where the wires would have run for those goofy Northface Edition lights or something? I like how it turned out, you see the mod but don't see any of the ugly unless you know where to look.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
IllogicTC said:
Did you run the roof lighting wires through the spot where the wires would have run for those goofy Northface Edition lights or something? I like how it turned out, you see the mod but don't see any of the ugly unless you know where to look.

I drilled a 1/2 hole and put a rubber grommet in to protect the wires, ran down the b column to relays under the seat. I need to get pics of the wires redone and the connections under the cap, I switched from the mesh loom to large heat shrink so all you see now is a 3/8" black cover. I just notched it so the wires would go in without obstruction. I also removed the loom from the bars wiring as went with single strands of 14gauge so no splicing was involved within the bar.

Thanks, there are a few things I am unhappy with that I will fix later.

blazinlow89

Original poster
Jan 25, 2012
AquaLady said:
How's the build going so far?

Stalled right now, lights were the last thing I did. Going to remove the headlights and perform surgery in the coming months.

I have also been flip flopping on selling it, however due to recent events I think having a paid off vehicle may come in handy. So it is not going anywhere.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online