SUPPORT Blank pages and email notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Been getting reports of blank pages showing up on the site (browser independent). It happened to me last night on the last page of a thread but not the previous pages. As well, I seem to not be getting email notifications to PM replies.

I have contacted the grand pooba. Likely the server is getting the winter blahs.

If you are getting some issues, please post here (if you can see this :biggrin: )

Last edited:
Reactions: cornchip

movietvet

Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I am back in for now. I received an email notice about a thread and in there was a GMT Nation link and when I opened it I saved the site to favs. Is working now.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I believe you guys, this particular problem is bazaar.

I haven’t experienced a single problem in the past 24 hours, I’ve been checking frequently. I can’t troubleshoot what I can’t see, so please be patient.

movietvet

Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
No problem here. Like I said, I did a reboot and then went in a different way than just googling GMTNation and I am still in.

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Just got the blank page when trying to access the forums main page again.

Edit: now actually a blank page like before but a too many redirects error...

Screenshot_20230128-104312_Chrome.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: movietvet

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
Don’t get too comfortable, I still don’t know what’s causing intermittent issues on random pages, but not the rest of the site. I’m going to try some excessive tactics, so you may see some 404 or 500 errors in the near future.

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
I just made some pretty drastic changes on the server-side a few minutes ago. You may have to clear you cookies and cache to be sure if it was a good fix or not. I hate clearing browsing data too, but sometimes it really is some stale file that contributes to the problem. If anything, clear your Cookies and Images/Files categories (from the beginning of time).

Reactions: mrrsm and movietvet

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
If it will help...

This is apparently related to the problem...

On Screen Print of the error:

GMTNATIONFATALERROR.jpg

This is the Text to forward to Tech Support for their consideration and analysis:

Fatal error: Uncaught LogicException: Cannot load Memcached cache provider without Memcached in /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/CacheFactory.php:162 Stack trace: #0 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/CacheFactory.php(81): XF\CacheFactory->createMemcachedCache(Array) #1 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/CacheFactory.php(36): XF\CacheFactory->instantiate('Memcached', Array) #2 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/App.php(709): XF\CacheFactory->create('Memcached', Array) #3 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/Container.php(234): XF\App->XF\{closure}('', Array, Object(XF\Container)) #4 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/App.php(2657): XF\Container->create('cache', '') #5 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/App.php(736): XF\App->cache('registry') #6 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/Container.php(31): XF\App->XF\{closure}(Object(XF\Container)) #7 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/App.php(1927): XF\Container->offsetGet('registry') #8 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/Container.php(31): XF\App->XF\{closure}(Object(XF\Container)) #9 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/App.php(1597): XF\Container->offsetGet('extension.liste...') #10 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/Container.php(31): XF\App->XF\{closure}(Object(XF\Container)) #11 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/App.php(2976): XF\Container->offsetGet('extension') #12 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/App.php(3004): XF\App->extension() #13 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/App.php(381): XF\App->extendClass('XF\\InputFiltere...') #14 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/Container.php(31): XF\App->XF\{closure}(Object(XF\Container)) #15 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/App.php(233): XF\Container->offsetGet('inputFilterer') #16 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/Container.php(31): XF\App->XF\{closure}(Object(XF\Container)) #17 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/App.php(2596): XF\Container->offsetGet('request') #18 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/Error.php(431): XF\App->request() #19 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/Error.php(385): XF\Error->getExceptionTraceHtml(Object(LogicException)) #20 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/App.php(2499): XF\Error->displayFatalExceptionMessage(Object(LogicException)) #21 /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF.php(203): XF\App->displayFatalExceptionMessage(Object(LogicException)) #22 [internal function]: XF::handleException(Object(LogicException)) #23 {main} thrown in /home/gmtn/public_html/forums/src/XF/CacheFactory.php on line 162

My Hopeful Comment Follows On (NOT Part of this Error Screen Capture and Text Above):

*Fingers Crossed*

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
You ARE The Best, Jimmy!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
After logging in normally, I experienced another "errant re-direct" when selecting between TABS in "What's New?" Sub-Form. This happened on my Dell Precision M6800 Work Station running on Linux Mint Ver. 21 (Vanessa) using "Private Internet Access" VPN on the latest version of the "WaterFox" Web Browser... So I thought perhaps it was happening on MY End.

So in response, I went hard after replacing my Router with THIS 'Top Of The Line' WIFI Router as shown below, thinking that this Upgrade in Bandwidth and Throughput would be decisive:

TPLINKAX660WIFIROUTER0.jpgTPLINKAX660WIFIROUTER1.jpgTPLINKAX660WIFIROUTER2.jpgTPLINKAX660WIFIROUTER3.jpgTPLINKAX660WIFIROUTER4.jpg

The Signal Strength vs. Having SO Many Devices using up Bandwidth was AMAZING.... But it still had no effect whatsoever on the problem whn online at GMTN. So in reaction, I grabbed my Samsung Galaxy S7 (NO SIM CARD) and fired up the DuckDuckGo Search Engine along with my IPVanish VPN running in the background and after successfully Logging On to GMT Nation ... I performed the same set of TAB changes looking at various TABS in the "What's New" Sub-Forum, etc, ...and THIS happened

GMTNPOSTLOONERRORS1.jpg

Now... since I can easily navigate ANYWHERE at GMTN when I am NOT logged on with speed and ease, the only thing that I can surmise (and the only other explanation that makes any sense to me) is that somewhere in "The Back-Cloth" of where GMTN runs on their Server Software ... Old or Unrecognized Restrictions (Including Re-Directs) that have been added or imposed in the past upon my Account Name 'mrrsm' ... are STILL THERE and these Only Invoke AFTER I have Logged On to GMT Nation.

Of course, I completely agree with whatever the Admins and Mods decide for How our Accounts Need to be Monitored and Moderated to Toe The Line of the Rules and Regulations.. But my entire experience since shortly after 2015 has been the need to repeatedly enter all search criteria and actions after they constantly get dropped off line or which simply do not happen and freeze up on screen.

Being 'One Of The Regulars' DOES come with the need to especially behave very responsibly and to conform to what is acceptable and necessary for "The Greater Good of GMT Nation". I sincerely and firmly believe in these principles. However, even with being a 'Lifetime Supporter" as I am, does not relieve me from these odd and troublesome issues of having to repeatedly Try to Enter and Re-Enter search and TAB Data time and again... and have it NOT work on the First Try. If someone would PM me with what (and why) any of these Restrictions endure... I would very much appreciate it.

All That Said... I was thinking that perhaps it might be possible for certain historical restrictions that have been imposed by more than one Moderator on more than one Member...that it might be central to fixing such problems by thorough Account Reviews and then a 'Thorough Cleaning" of the Buffers in such cases as these. THIS may prove very helpful in deciphering these 're-direct errors'. I'm not asking for anything special because I'm no better than ANY of our other Members here at GMT Nation... But I do try to do my part here and I want to continue to contribute ...if allowed. Thanks In Advance for ANY Help!

Last edited:

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
All That Said... I was thinking that perhaps it might be possible for certain historical restrictions that have been imposed by more than one Moderator on more than one Member...that it might be central to fixing such problems by thorough Account Reviews and then a 'Thorough Cleaning" of the Buffers in such cases as these.
I have no such restrictions and I have been getting these errors, as well as @Blckshdw and even @Jman423 . Others that have never had any restrictions put on them have also been getting the errors. Any restrictions or suspensions that were handed out in the past, either by an admin or via violation points, are automatically flushed out so they do not affect present browsing or use of the site. Maybe your own setup is too restrictive or secure to allow normal web surfing apart from the current errors, which is affecting multiple users.

I am currently not getting the errors so ???

Jman423

Administrator
Mar 24, 2014
United States
So I thought perhaps it was happening on MY End.
In this particular case, the problems we were experiecing were software/server related. However, as a techie, I can appreciate the need to find any excuse to spend hundreds on technology. Now, I know my tech toys all too well, and I can confidently tell you that you didn't get enough antennas. Try again.
I performed the same set of TAB changes looking at various TABS in the "What's New" Sub-Forum, etc, ...and THIS happened

View attachment 106541

Now... since I can easily navigate ANYWHERE at GMTN when I am NOT logged on with speed and ease, the only thing that I can surmise (and the only other explanation that makes any sense to me) is that somewhere in "The Back-Cloth" of where GMTN runs on their Server Software ... Old or Unrecognized Restrictions (Including Re-Directs) that have been added or imposed in the past upon my Account Name 'mrrsm' ... are STILL THERE and these Only Invoke AFTER I have Logged On to GMT Nation.
While these problems could certainly be a software related issue, many users experienced the issues at the same time, even if they were intermittent. This points to problems behind the curtain.
Of course, I completely agree with whatever the Admins and Mods decide for How our Accounts Need to be Monitored and Moderated to Toe The Line of the Rules and Regulations.. But my entire experience since shortly after 2015 has been the need to repeatedly enter all search criteria and actions after they constantly get dropped off line or which simply do not happen and freeze up on screen.
I don't understand the issue you've described here, but I'd be more than glad to work through it with you.
Being 'One Of The Regulars" DOES come with the need to especially behave very responsibly and to conform to what is acceptable and necessary for "The Greater Good of GMT Nation". I sincerely and firmly believe in these principles. However, even with being a 'Lifetime Supporter" as I am, does not relieve me from these odd and troublesome issues of having to repeatedly Try to Enter and Re-Enter search and TAB Data time and again... and have it NOT work on the First Try. If someone would PM me with what (and why) any of these Restrictions endure... I would very much appreciate it.
I've just performed a full reset on your user account (no data loss). I reviewed everything and didn't see anything that would cause the issues you've described above. You're the only person that'll know if it helped or not.
All That Said... I was thinking that perhaps it might be possible for certain historical restrictions that have been imposed by more than one Moderator on more than one Member...that it might be central to fixing such problems by thorough Account Reviews and then a 'Thorough Cleaning" of the Buffers in such cases as these. THIS may prove very helpful in deciphering these 're-direct errors'. I'm not asking for anything special because I'm no better than ANY of our other Members here at GMT Nation... But I do try to do my part here and I want to continue to contribute ...if allowed. Thanks In Advance for ANY Help!
The only thing I can offer you and the other members that have experienced blank pages or redirect errors is that after several days of troubleshooting and researching... the problem is likely server related, more specifically PHP. Both problems could be related to cookies, which are manipulated by cookies.

These websites don't work the way most of you might think these days... you're always being served dynamic content that is generated on-the-fly... driven by dozens of scripts in PHP files and fulfilled with data in a huge database. Add cookies, browser caching, and constantly evolving technologies and you might be able to see how difficult it really is to put your finger on a problem.

I'm an IT professional, but I am NOT programmer or coder, nor do I specialize in web technologies. I know enough to keep things going, and occasionally I have to figure out a problem caused by automated software updates or some incompatibility between software and themes or addons.

Anyway, back on topic... I don't know what caused these issues, but I'm working through getting them permanently resolved.

movietvet

Dec 21, 2022
Oregon
I kind of understood the restrictions for me, when I saw them. Like Groucho Marx said, "I would not want to be a member of a club that would have me as a member"!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks for the very thoroughly thrashed out Follow On Posts. You had me scared there for a minute with Alan Savage GIF. Being Scientifically Minded (and Honored to be Your Guinea Pig in this Experiment...) I know that when it comes to wending the way through the Problem Maze, it is always helpful to "Only Change One Variable At A Time..." So with that in mind... I went into my WaterFox Browser Settings and added ONLY gmtnation.com to this feature:

GMTNCOOKIEXCEPTIONS.jpg
As a Mozilla Web Browser Prong... WaterFox automatically deletes all Cookies upon exiting the program. Nonetheless... since I was adding the GMTN Site as an Exception at the very same time you were Flushing My Account (And, Brother... I can tell you ....I FELT that Soul-Satisfying Purging Action, too).

The Fresh Start I found upon logging back in just now shows there to be NO PROBLEMS. I would say that keeping GMTN Cookies working in this "Exceptional Way' on everyone's Browsers would also help support the site in other ways as well. I hope this is contributory. It only remains to be decided which of these two actions (or both?) may have helped here.

My next effort will be to TAB through a few Prior Posts and see if I can get through the EDIT Feature to work just as well. I'll update this Thread with those results shortly...

Hmmm... I wonder what it would take to achieve "Guest MOD" Status...? I shall have to endeavor to obtain MORE Antennae... :>)

"Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE..." Uncle Martin 'My Favorite Martian'

Last edited:
  • Haha

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
That Last Post was ABSOLUTELY INSTANTANEOUS!!!

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Jimmy... Not only have you managed to fix the Re-Direct Issue... You've SUPER-CHARGED the interaction with Posting Speed AND with the EDIT Feature... I have NEVER seen this place MOVE SO FAST!

Tussen Takke! (A Thousand Thanks!)

I'm making another Donation...

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Yep, I guess Jimmy's cleaning house has sped up stuff. I used to get the 3 bars while it was thinking of actually posting.

• Haha
Reactions: mrrsm

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
Oh Baby.... Is THIS Site FIXED?...OHHHhhhhhhh Yeaah...!!!

It Looks like "The Purge" Procedures WORKED!

Everything is WORKING ...LIKE LIGHTNING!!!

*Jimmy* ...I Could NOT be Happier... If I was TWINS...!!!

:celebrate:
:dance:

• Wow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online