Blade/knife/sword enthusiasts out there?

Tarnished

Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Are there any blade collectors.. smiths.. makers.. and/or enthusiasts out there? Sheathmakers, as well.

My blades of choice are genuine Nepalese khukuri's made by Himalayan Imports.. but I also collect hand forged customs as well, to include 'hawks.. and even some kitchen knives. That being said, I can't deny I adore blades made by stock removal as well, in the same categories.

I'm more of a High Carbon steel guy, but appreciate certain high-end stainless steels as well. The steels I collect are usually 51XX series.. but also have D2, O1, 154CM.. S30V.. etc.
Guess I like 'em all.

I'd just like to hear about other members blade 'likes' as well.. if any. And since I'm also a member of Bladeforums.. if anyone of you are also a part of that community, it would be awesome to hear from ya.

Reactions: AManders6

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
uqypy9aj.jpg

From top to bottom: no name survival knife,Olympia survival knife, Kershaw veypor ll, United cutlery M48 apocalypse bowie knife.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Darkrider_LS said:
From top to bottom: no name survival knife,Olympia survival knife, Kershaw veypor ll, United cutlery M48 apocalypse bowie knife.

I had an obsession with the folding pocket knives for a while. I was finding them cheap on the one sale a day sites and I must have picked up about 15 or 20 of them, cant find half of them now. I had 3 of the Vapor 2's, 2 of the Bear Grylls Gerbers (one folding, one static), several other Gerbers, a couple of Smith and Wesson ones, and a bunch of Kershaws. My current cary knife is one from K Hansotia knife co. Its a 4" folder with a window spike on the bottom. I thought it was a cheap knock off ones till I seen a few sites with them for $80. I will get some pics when I can. Or at least when someone revives this thread again and I remember I have pics.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
blazinlow89 said:
I had an obsession with the folding pocket knives for a while. I was finding them cheap on the one sale a day sites and I must have picked up about 15 or 20 of them, cant find half of them now. I had 3 of the Vapor 2's, 2 of the Bear Grylls Gerbers (one folding, one static), several other Gerbers, a couple of Smith and Wesson ones, and a bunch of Kershaws. My current cary knife is one from K Hansotia knife co. Its a 4" folder with a window spike on the bottom. I thought it was a cheap knock off ones till I seen a few sites with them for $80. I will get some pics when I can. Or at least when someone revives this thread again and I remember I have pics.

I def need to sharpen my Kershaw one of these days. I got the M48 as an xmas gift from the gf and i will def be ordering more items from the same site that it came from. They have a lot of nice knives and the one local gun shop has a nice selection as well that are mostly the Cold Steel brand.

Envoy_04

Jul 1, 2013
View attachment 32921

I guess I've only got a couple "nice" knives, and an assortment of other cheapos that I don't care if I trash the blades. :biggrin:

Right one is my old Schrade X-Timer which I carry every day as I have for the past 8 or 9 years, it doesn't really qualify as a "nice" knife, but it is functional. It's thin enough I guess it doesn't bother me when it's clipped to my pocket, it's not the best stainless out there but it's a darn good knife for general carrying.

Middle one is a Kershaw Funxion EMT, got a fold out carabiner, seatbelt cutter and small hex wrench with a screwdriver tip, plus a glass breaker. The blade is spring assisted opening. This one's my Envoy console knife.

Left one is a Gerber 06 FAST. Blade has wicked spring assist opening and a slide safety on the side. The end of the handle has a protruding portion of frame that's meant for striking, billed as a "glass breaker."

EDIT: pic flipped sideways on me, my phone doesn't play well with the forum. Edited the position of the knives to reflect pic rotation.

Attachments

• knives.jpg
    knives.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 17

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
Knives are great. I always find myself using my pocket knife at work daily. I always keep two in my TB and my wife keeps one in her purse at all times as well as her F-150.

Starting on the top right is my Buck USA (Cheap), Gerber Bear Grylls edition, lastly is the best knife I have owned, Smith&Wesson first responder knife. I actually have two of these and my wife keeps one in her purse. It has a razor blade in the base of the handle for cutting seat belts as well as a nipple on the very bottom for breaking windows.

To the left is my Gerber multi-tool. It has more tools than shown, but those are just the blades it has. Very handy tool I had with me on deployments. I keep this in my TB as well. When I opened it for the first time today in a while, I noticed it still had some Afghan sand packed into the corners and in the bottom of the case. Memories...

View attachment 32923

This is my USMC Officer's Mameluke sword. It is a cross-hilted, curved, scimitar-like sword historically derived from sabres used by Mamluk warriors of Mamluk Egypt from whom the sword derives its name.

A little Marine Corps history, a sword of this type was presented to Marine First Lieutenant Presley O'Bannon by the Ottoman Empire viceroy, Prince Hamet, on December 8, 1805, during the First Barbary War, as a gesture of respect and praise for the Marines' actions at the Battle of Derne. Upon his return to the United States, the state of Virginia presented him with a silver-hilted sword featuring an eagle-head hilt and a curved blade modeled after the original Mameluke sword given him by Hamet.

View attachment 32924

Lastly, is a close up of the Mameluke sword's detail.

View attachment 32925

This is my Columbia River Knife & Tool (CRKT) Ultima tactical fixed blade knife. Has a nice hip holster that is not pictured. This was a going away present from Golf Company.

View attachment 32961

Attachments

• 20140301_111558.jpg
    20140301_111558.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 25
  • 20140301_111727.jpg
    20140301_111727.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20140301_111830.jpg
    20140301_111830.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20140302_115553.jpg
    20140302_115553.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 15

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
dmanns67 said:
Knives are great. I always find myself using my pocket knife at work daily. I always keep two in my TB and my wife keeps one in her purse at all times as well as her F-150.

Starting on the top right is my Buck USA (Cheap), Gerber Bear Grylls edition, lastly is the best knife I have owned, Smith&Wesson first responder knife. I actually have two of these and my wife keeps one in her purse. It has a razor blade in the base of the handle for cutting seat belts as well as a nipple on the very bottom for breaking windows.

To the left is my Gerber multi-tool. It has more tools than shown, but those are just the blades it has. Very handy tool I had with me on deployments. I keep this in my TB as well. When I opened it for the first time today in a while, I noticed it still had some Afghan sand packed into the corners and in the bottom of the case. Memories...

View attachment 20344

This is my USMC Officer's Mameluke sword. It is a cross-hilted, curved, scimitar-like sword historically derived from sabres used by Mamluk warriors of Mamluk Egypt from whom the sword derives its name.

A little Marine Corps history, a sword of this type was presented to Marine First Lieutenant Presley O'Bannon by the Ottoman Empire viceroy, Prince Hamet, on December 8, 1805, during the First Barbary War, as a gesture of respect and praise for the Marines' actions at the Battle of Derne. Upon his return to the United States, the state of Virginia presented him with a silver-hilted sword featuring an eagle-head hilt and a curved blade modeled after the original Mameluke sword given him by Hamet.

View attachment 20345

Lastly, is a close up of the Mameluke sword's detail.

View attachment 20346

Nice collection there man. Heh it looks like my Olympia survival knife is a clone of your Smith and wesson first responder knife. Only difference i see so far is the powdercoating on the blade of my Olympia. as well as the fact that mine has a smooth non serrated blade.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
If I can dig up my sharps I'll post them. They're packed away good and I never thought to pull them out with a 2-year old in the house and limited space for me to store or show them out in the open.

I do have a K-Bar, it's a bummer it's not a U.S. Army one but hey. I've got some other stuff too.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
IllogicTC said:
I do have a K-Bar, it's a bummer it's not a U.S. Army one but hey. I've got some other stuff too.

I do have a USMC K-Bar, but it is packed up with my other military stuff. I need to go through some boxes to find it.

Darkrider_LS

Jan 25, 2013
Merged the posts for ya Dmanns.

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
Bumping this thread back since I just found it and I love me some "edged tools"

Attachments

• WP_20141108_008.jpg
    WP_20141108_008.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 24
Reactions: Mounce
May 5, 2014
When I started working construction in '76' I was told to buy a good knife. My first One was a Case three blade pocket knife. Still have it and keep it razor sharp. I have a nice Ivory handle fixed blade (have to dig it out to find the maker).
When working I usually carry my Swiss Army 'Explorer' and Leatherman Super-Tool.
By far my favorite is a small custom drop point knife I use for my hobby work. The blade is custom made, 2-inch long stainless and the handle is a black bear fang (given to me by one of my Indian friends) that I polished and told the blade maker what I wanted.
At the various shows I do I usually get 1 or 2 people who want to buy it from me. But it's one of those things without a price. It fits my hand just right.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Just ordered a couple blades the other day. Somehow I needed a camo knife in the family

AManders6

Jan 24, 2014
Mounce said:
Forced patina as in burying it in the ground for a while? Or?
I used a solution of white vinegar and water and soaked it for 3, 1 hour periods. Removing each time and wiping it with a clean dry cloth. Used a different cloth and wiped it with vegetable oil, wiped it dry, then put it back in the solution. After the final time I did the same thing but for the very last step I kept the blade a little wet with oil and wrapped the blade in a rag for awhile until I sharpened it up.

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
AManders6 said:
Double post [emoji16]
Been carrying this puppy everyday for about a month and a half, and I love it. It's a Kershaw Cryo II Tanto Blackwssh series. I also picked its brother, the Cryo II Blackwash in drop point, which stays in my coat breast pocket.
Both knives have that sturdy feel when in hand and the Speedsafe assisted opening on them is great, very smooth. They came sharp from factory and the cutting edge has held up well so far to light use.
When I got these, my fiancé gave me the "you really need more knives look" but after she carried the drop point version this past week, she wants one. Told me it would be cute with her camo pink Buck folder she has [emoji23]
I have been carrying the cryo for quite some time. Had a sog but lost it and the cryo was on sale and couldn't be happier. I agree with how it feels sturdy. Decent size blade to for a legal folding knife. Blade has held up well. Actually saw them on sale at Menards the other day and picked up another. Got the same look from my wife too. Lol.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online