Blackstone Oil Analysis - Concerned

jemmie

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Below is my Blackstone oil analysis. 2005 Envoy XL 4.2L 4x4 with 105,000 miles. Oil was used for 7,500 miles.

Has anyone else had an analysis done? Any thoughts on mine?

Envoy.jpg

roadmaven

Jul 25, 2012
I've noticed on BITOG that in recent years regular M1 has started showing more iron wear on UOAs than I'd be comfortable with. That's why I shifted away from it and went to Amsoil. However, if you'd want to stay within the M1 family, I'd suggest two things: Cut your duration (maybe 5K?) or try M1 EP at the same 7500 mile interval and compare the two UOAs.

mcc

Apr 8, 2012
I personally went with Pennzoil Ultra on my last change partly because of the iron problem roadmaven mentioned. This is my first synthetic change and I've never done an oil analysis so I have no more on that subject.

jemmie

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
This SUV is driven pretty hard and used to tow a 27' travel trailer, which is really at the limit of this vehicle. I suspect that has something to do with it as well. The oil was also in there for 10 months (I have three other vehicles so this is not driven all the time). I'm going to change oil change interval to 5000 miles.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Are you also using the M1 oil filter? You could look into the filters that use a synthetic media on the inside (amsoil and royal purple).

My iron was 16 @ 4,404mi with a pure one filter; 20 @ 4,979mi with a M1 filter; and 18 @ 4,660mi with a K&N filter. Since you used the oil longer, the wear will show which seems normal. On BITOG, iron increases linearly with the increase of usage of the oil. My aluminum was 4-5 range with all three tests.

Change to a different brand of oil and test again. Changing your at every 6K miles is a safe mileage with no ill effects.

Here's my reports:

View attachment 22105

Attachments

• Last.jpg
    Last.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 9

jemmie

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
This makes me feel a little better. My iron and aluminum are about twice yours but I used my oil 50% longer. You would expect presence of those particles to go up faster than linearly with miles, so mine does not look out of order. Do you tow anything with yours?

And, yes, I am using Mobil 1 filter. No, I don't use any oil additives.

I think the answer here is clearly to reduce oil change interval to 5,000 and test again.

seanpooh said:
Are you also using the M1 oil filter? You could look into the filters that use a synthetic media on the inside (amsoil and royal purple).

My iron was 16 @ 4,404mi with a pure one filter; 20 @ 4,979mi with a M1 filter; and 18 @ 4,660mi with a K&N filter. Since you used the oil longer, the wear will show which seems normal. On BITOG, iron increases linearly with the increase of usage of the oil. My aluminum was 4-5 range with all three tests.

Change to a different brand of oil and test again. Changing your at every 6K miles is a safe mileage with no ill effects.

Here's my reports:

View attachment 8356

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
Don't worry about my most recent analysis, it's 10 quarts of oil which is running through a Amsoil dual remote bypass filter which filters at 2 microns. One of my posts have a picture of it... It really does help.

I don't tow anything but I am on the throttle heavy and I drive about 5-6k miles a month ( I deliver pizzas and drive 20 to school from home).

Also (just a suggestion)if you want to use a oil additive, put some Seafoam in the crankcase 500miles before the change to clean things out.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove

Members Online