Blackstone Grill/Griddle?

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012

Anyone here own one?
If so, how do you like it and what are some pro's/con's on it?
Yes, I've seen the ads on TV, but they're about as reliable as political promises.

My current propane grill has seen better days. Not sure if I want to upgrade to another one or try a blackstone griddle. There are no neighbors around me that own one. I guess some of us are waiting for the first person to "take the plunge"...

Any helpful input is appreciated.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
They're a big hit on the BBQBrethren.com forum I'm a member of. It's all griddle, rather than grates, so you have to keep that in mind. I converted my Kenmore stainless grill to an all griddle deal (custom made plate) and do a lot of stuff on it...burgers, veggies, stir frys, breakfast etc. But, if I was looking for a griddle right now, I'd probably end up buying the Blue Rhino version because the side tables fold over to become the lid when you're done, something the Blackstone doesn't have (a lid).

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My buddy has one and he loves it for what it is...a griddle. He has a Traeger smoker and a Webber charcoal grill as well.

I have used it several times and it is great for hibachi type stuff and veggies are excellent. Bacon and thin meats are great on it. We justified him buying it by figuring out our normal cost at the hibachi and then with subtracting the cost of meats and veggies, we found it cost us doing hibachi for ourselves and our wives twice to equal the purchase price.
The portability it has in the medium size he has is nice for camping and such.

I have a LP grill and a pellet smoker at home and really dont feel a great need to have one of the flattops. I have a ceramic electric griddle that does plenty. The low cost though does have me tempted to add one to arsenal just because it is fun with a small group to cook hibachi outside.

Reactions: hockeyman

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Awesome, thank you for the replies!

I have two (soon to be three) Weber Smokey Mountain smokers already. Love them so much that I want to own one in every size that they're offered in. If needed, I "could" use the bottom of the smokers as a grill, but not sure if that will ever happen if I own a blackstone.

Again, thank you and I have some shopping to do later this week! :2thumbsup:

Reactions: Matt

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I got two or three of those style smokers and a big Texas Smoker stick burner out in our barn at the hunting land. Never in a hurry out there and use them with charcoal for regular grilling as well as smoking.

At home, I find my Green Mountain Pellet smoker is my go to for everything. with 150-450 or so temp range it can do everything. I got the Daniel Boone so occasionally I need to use the ole LP for corn on the cob or similar large stuff. I will admit i always thought of the pellet's set n forget type cooking as cheating and not real smoking or grilling, but it is a blessing with the distractions of 4 kids n such. never have dried or overcooked like a regular grill would allow rather quickly. I have had two buddies buy one after being around mine.

Reactions: hockeyman and Matt

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I'm jealous. Now that I finally have a house, so I can have a grille/smoker, my dad keeps bugging me when I'm going to get one. Priorities man, got too many other places for money to go... But I do want to invest at some point. Few of my friends have gotten smokers in the last couple of years, and they rave about them as well.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Coming in a little late here, since the OP indicates he's 'in' for one of these, but here's my '02...

RV people love, Love, LOVE these things (I don't have one - yet). Most of them say the one-burner 17" is a liiiitle bit small; they'd prefer the two-burner 21". Of course, for a home environment, especially if feeding many hungry mouths on a regular basis... 21" might be too small.

If you're looking for an 'all-in-one' (flattop plus grill) - CampChef makes a nice unit. But between the two, concerning the griddle... Blackstone gets the nod.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
My buddy's is the 22 and its good for feeding about 6, but you are right if you had more people its not too convenient.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
We bought my buddy the 4 burner blue rhino. It makes excellent french toast and quesadillas. He was looking at the Blackstone ones too but we surprised him with that one. Cooks really nice but eats propane.

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Cooks really nice but eats propane.

Didn't really think of that, but I'm happy that you mentioned it. I'm sure that the steel top on the blackstone takes quite a bit to heat up. I guess for me, personally, I'm not too concerned on how fast it goes through propane, but I can see how that may have an effect on anyone else thinking of buying one.

My local Ace Hardware has the a deluxe edition on display out front and there's a $200 sticker on it. Wonder if that's the actual cost or a "man-lure" to get me in there...??

Reactions: Matt

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Didn't really think of that, but I'm happy that you mentioned it. I'm sure that the steel top on the blackstone takes quite a bit to heat up. I guess for me, personally, I'm not too concerned on how fast it goes through propane, but I can see how that may have an effect on anyone else thinking of buying one.

My local Ace Hardware has the a deluxe edition on display out front and there's a $200 sticker on it. Wonder if that's the actual cost or a "man-lure" to get me in there...??
When we're at the boat you have to prioritize. We go through about 50lbs a weekend lol. We feast though.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011

Run, RUN down there and grab it. For $200, it's a steal!

Reactions: hockeyman

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I will take one too at that price. Less than half of normal

hockeyman

Original poster
Aug 26, 2012
Run, RUN down there and grab it. For $200, it's a steal!

Went this morning and (as expected) the grill is not a complete set. There are pieces missing due to it being an open box. The large cast iron section was there, but an employee there said that it has some damaged burners and missing casters, along with a few other things. I'll pass. Bought some valves and o-rings for my pool and went on my merry way. Oh well...

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: Blckshdw and Matt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
That's a bummer.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Decent deal here

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members