NEED HELP Binding/grinding/thumping sound in reverse with hard right turn

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
I replaced the left front bearing last night to try to solve my issue. I have heard some grinding / bearing type noises from that side. The main issue that was concerning me was the binding and catch/release type noise when in reverse with hard right steering wheel. I don't have to be all way at lock, but pretty close to it will do it. Can the half-shaft on that side be doing that? I thought the bearing was starting to fail and was binding with that angle of pull from the bottom while in a reverse turn.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If the CV joint is worn, yes it could make some nasty noises at high flex range.

Another thing to check is the passenger side disconnect, make sure the CV isn't loose in there.

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
Thanks. I'll check that side, too. Had a buddy listen and he could only hear the noise from the driver's side, which is where I think it is coming from.

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
I put new front pads on today as the driver's side was pretty low when I did the bearing so I pulled the axle out on that side. Now I have no noise while backing up and turning to the right. I guess I'm ordering an axle. Front diff fluid was a little low so that is where some of my black puddle under the truck is coming from. When I put the new axle in, I'll top the fluid back up.

Disconnect felt good with no up and down or front to back motion.

C-ya

Original poster
Aug 24, 2012
New CV axle went in yesterday afternoon. Finally got the time to put it in after having it for about a week. Well, I made time before the rain and cooler weather arrived today. Backing in and turning to the right (my normal routine for parking) yields no noise so I will consider this solved. I ordered a Surtrack/Trakmotive from Rock Auto with a limited lifetime warranty for $39 + s/h.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Good to have that fixed.

Reactions: C-ya

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.