Bilstein rear shocks

smt 59

Original poster
Looking at loosing the Monroe's on the rear and replacing with Bilstein. So my inquiry is on line they are recommending HD's and at the stealership they are saying their info says soft ride OEM with no other info such as dust boot, specs on shaft travel etc. And more money although it would most likely be the same after shipping cost and exchange rate as they come out of the US, so is there info on what we use on our trucks keeping in mind that I do not pull or load it down with any heavy weight or off road with it, just my every day ride. :confused:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Friends don't let friends get lied to by the dealers.

OEM shocks are black painted Bilsteins. GM touts the brand like it's the best shock in the world. However, the truth is that Bilstein sold out, and they will make a $5 shock if that's all GM wanted to pay. Aftermarket HD Bilsteins are FAR superior, and I (for instance) threw my OEM shocks out at 9000 miles because I didn't want to wait until the warranty was up to get access to that better ride you get with the yellow/blue Bilsteins.

On an enthusiast forum like this I guarantee you will find NOBODY recommending another set of the lame black OEM shocks. For any price.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
Yellow/blue Bilstein HD's FTW. They are not harsh, but they do help with body roll - especially in the front. I don't pull with mine since I sold my camper, and I like the ride.

Get 'em, do 'em yourself. Takes about 30 minutes. See my thread here - http://gmtnation.com/f77/so-far-so-good-rear-shocks-8098/

dla442

Mar 31, 2012
grand rapids, mi
Our factory bilsteins were actually yellow with the sticker still on them from day one. I bought news ones from autozone and lifetime warranty. So swap them every 35-40k for new ones free of charge! The rears I went with Monroe's mono tube gas charged from an online supplier and they work just as good as the bilsteins do for the rear. We're a tad cheaper, and of course this is for normal driving, not off road. I do not like Monroe's or Gabriel's etc for the front as they just don't have the response or handling of the bilsteins. Food for thought on the rear and what you use your vehicle for.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
Replaced all 4 corners with the bilsteins and it was the best thing I could do. waited to long to do it.

smt 59

Original poster
Just checked their pricing, best so far. But I have to call about shipping costs etc., I may have to come down for a visit to save some cash.

smt 59

Original poster
The_Roadie said:
Not sure about Canada. Many of us use Shockwarehouse. You can often find coupon codes.

Hey guy's I have been reading the reviews on this vendor, not a lot of positive reviews. Are you guys sure they are OK to deal with?

:confused:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
That's who I ordered mine from and they were here very fast. I think sometimes they are back ordered but don't make it clear.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I bought mine from them. They showed up in a reasonable time for me. Prolly right at a week. I ordered all 4 at the same time.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Same here, all 4 from Shockwarehouse.....no issues. After the HD's went in the rear with 5 people didn't keep bouncing for 2 miles after a large bump. :biggrin:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
smt 59 said:
Hey guy's I have been reading the reviews on this vendor, not a lot of positive reviews. Are you guys sure they are OK to deal with?

Best prices hands down. They are not the best at communications, but when you inquire they will reply, normally.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
The Bilstein HD's give the ride a more truck feel and handle towing situations better. If you want the OEM Cadillac type luxury ride and don't tow then get the non-HD's. Make no mistake though, the HD's are a stiffer shock and you WILL feel the road more. Choose wisely.

The_Roadie said:
Aftermarket HD Bilsteins are FAR superior, and I (for instance) threw my OEM shocks out at 9000 miles because I didn't want to wait until the warranty was up to get access to that better ride you get with the yellow/blue Bilsteins.

Your talking about the difference between the factory luxury ride shock and the aftermarket HD shock. I would assume both are made by Bilstein using the same manufacturing processes? The aftermarket monotube shocks Bilstein makes are superior to the twin tube design. Are the assembly line shocks twin tube?

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
smt 59 said:

I couldn't get ahold of anyone at shockwarehouse.com to confirm shipping times. I read about 6 week wait times. But 6 weeks for a Chinese obdII adapter is too long of a wait :crazy:

Summit Racing had them for a dollar or two more and I got them two days later free shipping. Two weeks before Christmas. Someone answered on the first call. That is service in my book. :twocents:

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
I tried ordering from Shock Warehouse, and my order went through and they charged me. They then emailed me to let me know the shocks/struts were back ordered for about a month. I told them to cancel my order, and my PayPal was refunded in minutes. Good on that end.

Try Autoplicity as well. I ended up going through them. Their prices were about the same.

Jared

EDIT: Bilstein HD's FTW

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
CaptainXL said:
Your talking about the difference between the factory luxury ride shock and the aftermarket HD shock. I would assume both are made by Bilstein using the same manufacturing processes? The aftermarket monotube shocks Bilstein makes are superior to the twin tube design. Are the assembly line shocks twin tube?

I don't know the answer to your questions, but I know what I saw.

IMAG0906_zpsc113b495.jpg

glfredrick

Jan 14, 2014
Now, realize that when you actually swap out the shocks that you are going to be pretty disapointed at the first couple of rides as they seem to take a bit to break in properly. It will feel like a lumber wagon and you will be prone to have buyer's remorse! Just give them a week or two and they will be much better -- and last virtually forever -- mine are going on 75K miles and still taking care of business better than the stockers.

I replaced the entire set and still have a virtually brand new set of Monroe rears for sale (I had replaced the rear with Monroe then went to all 4 Bilstein as I got a better deal through Shock Wharehouse). The Monroes have under 6000 miles if anyone is interested.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
glfredrick said:
Now, realize that when you actually swap out the shocks that you are going to be pretty disapointed at the first couple of rides as they seem to take a bit to break in properly. It will feel like a lumber wagon and you will be prone to have buyer's remorse! Just give them a week or two and they will be much better.

There will be a slight adjustment period for the person getting used to the HD's. I never noticed much in the feel after the first couple weeks but it's possible I wasn't paying all that much attention. I certainly wouldn't say the ride was much better as this is subjective.

Here is my take on all of this. And please understand. If you buy the HD's and weren't hoping to feel every little pot hole then you got the wrong shocks. The HD's offer a more pronounced sporty feel. Much more feeling is translated from the road to your seat. Even after a break in period. (If there is such a thing) If that doesnt sound like your kind of ride then you should go with the OEM luxury ride type. The Bilstein non-HD's.

smt 59

Original poster
I have replaced with Monroe all around so I have the stiffness over the factory ride already, the quick struts are a very poor handling system and I have not been happy since installing them, now going back to OEM.

BuckeyeEvan

Apr 1, 2012
I replaced my fronts with Bilstein HD. wow much better ride. Now I don't feel like I am losing control / hoping lanes when going over bumps/pot holes. I am thinking about doing the backs.
Autoplicity is where I got mine and got a better deal (total price with the shipping)

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I got mine from Autoplicity this last time.

Small price difference aside, the one thing I don't like about shockwarehouse is how they don't tell you whether something is really in stock right now or not. First time I bought my shocks there it wasn't an issue as I ordered in the late fall not expecting to do the install until spring (good thing too, they were backordered for a couple months) but this last time I needed them NOW and Autoplicity had a "in stock guarantee" and listed they had 9 in stock (seriously, who buys just a single shock though?). They came very fast too.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
BuckeyeEvan said:
I replaced my fronts with Bilstein HD. wow much better ride. Now I don't feel like I am losing control / hoping lanes when going over bumps/pot holes. I am thinking about doing the backs.
Autoplicity is where I got mine and got a better deal (total price with the shipping)
The rear shocks are incredible easy to do. One of the OEMs was shot and I could really feel the undamped bounce.

BuckeyeEvan

Apr 1, 2012
Mark20 said:
The rear shocks are incredible easy to do. One of the OEMs was shot and I could really feel the undamped bounce.
I might have a little extra bounce, but not noticably bad like the fronts. Tires show no sign of unusual wear from bad shocks.
I am thinking of selling around Feb of 2015. (I might be getting a 2015 Nissan Rogue for better MPG)
If I don't sell then I will probably do the rears. And the sensor for traction control... the idiot light comes up in the cold.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
And just how much gas can the cost of the Rogue buy for the Envoy? :wink:

Not to mention the Rogue is a wimpy crossover thingy :tongue:

BuckeyeEvan

Apr 1, 2012
Sparky said:
And just how much gas can the cost of the Rogue buy for the Envoy? :wink:

Not to mention the Rogue is a wimpy crossover thingy :tongue:
about $1500 in gas plus add the fact I would sell my 2013 Altima and save about $900 a year in insurance costs... so appx $200 a month.
yeah wimpy crossover but I have driven a Corolla so I couldn't look as patheic as I did driving that thing. :redface:
Side note: Sparky I'll be driving past your neck of the woods Tuesday on my way to (past) Wooster.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online