Bilstein, Monroe, KYB, or other?

khill

Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
So, I'm fed up with my shot suspension and finally have some cash to deal with it. And by shot I mean 150k on the factory setup :rotfl: (yeah yeah, I know, I just don't have a lot of cash and it's not a big deal yet).

So the question is, what do I get? I'm not looking to lower or raise, just need new equipment that doesn't feel like I'm driving on a waterbed. I've seen Bilstein and Monroe are popular and I've also seen KYB mentioned a few times. Any pros or cons between them?

It's a daily driver and the extent of my offroading is very unkempt dirt and gravel roads with the rare open field thrown in now and again.

Also, is there any other equipment that I really should replace at the same time for good measure? I don't see anything telling me it's broken, but I know that it's only a matter of time.

Thanks,
Keith

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I recommend Bilstein HD. I run 99.99% on the roads and that's what I have. And get new front upper mounts too because odds are very good that your mounts are worn out.

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
+1 for the Bilstein HD. It will give your front end a stiff feel and will handle any pot hole. Plus it's the direct replacement since the OEM is Bilstein.

I got all four from shock warehouse.com but that was back when they were a vendor for the OS and we had a coupon.

They say the Monroe on the other hand are not as stiff and is smoother over bumps.

As for other parts, shake and jiggle things around. Things get worn like bushing where they still have to be replaced. If you still have the stock setup, sway bar link end might be overdue unless they're missing :eek:

tblazerdude

Dec 4, 2011
I would say, no, springs don't wear out. This is usually a touchy subject with mechanics, but unless your truck was used for some severe duty application, your springs should have near the same spring rate as new. Now over the course of 20-30 years, or 300,000 miles, I would question the integrity of the metal and would replace them. This is my opinion, not fact.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
The springs are probably OK. They can and do wear over time. My old 98 Camaro had saggy springs for example, but it was OK because it made it appear lowered a little :rotfl: But generally unless you've got some issues with your springs or you have a reason to get a different spring (stiffer to handle off roading/equipment better for example) I would just reuse your current springs.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I've sagged out three sets of rears including some Z71s, and two sets of fronts.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
the roadie said:
I've sagged out three sets of rears including some Z71s, and two sets of fronts.

But you're the exception, not the rule! :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher