Biggest Tire on Stock Wheel?

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
As the topic implies whats are the Biggest tires I can get on the Stock Wheel?

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Are the stock wheels 17" for my TB? And:

Merry Christmas

jbones

Dec 5, 2011

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Front Wheel Size (in): 17 x 7
Rear Wheel Size (in): 17 x 7
Spare Wheel Size (in): 17 x 7

Your Sure they 16"??

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
Front Wheel Size (in): 17 x 7
Rear Wheel Size (in): 17 x 7
Spare Wheel Size (in): 17 x 7

Your Sure they 16"??
YOU have YOUR vehicle in front of you. YOUR VEHICLE may have options we don't know about that weren't in the lowest trim level. YOU may or may not own a tape measure. YOUR door edge sticker may or may not be accurate. The tire sizes MOLDED INTO THE SIDEWALL may be lying to you.

Come on, you want bigger tires - take responsibility for learning what size you already have. :lipsrsealed:

Merry Christmas to you as well. This is as kind and gentle as I can manage in the face of such a question.

UncleMoney

Dec 5, 2011
I've got the 17" stock wheels and am running the 265-70-17's with wheel spacers with no prob! Though I plan on going to aftermarket 15's in the future with bigger tires!

smitty5150

Nov 18, 2011
Biggest is all relative to the other variables....are you planning to lift, lower, add wheels spacers, etc? As is, max overall diameter is ~30.5", add wheel spacers and you are limited only by the amount of lift. You can fit 33" tires, but with suspension and body lift you will be cutting. Tire brand and model also factor is, as tread pattern can affect fitment.....

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Hey folks, stop trying to send him to OffroadTB. If he is to lazy to do the research then no one wants him over there. Why do you think I was trying to suggest Trailvoy as an option? They can deal the laziness!

To the OP, Merry Christmas to you as well. Now get off your ass and do some research for yourself instead of trying to be spoon feed from those of us who have no idea what your truck has. I could answer your question saying that the biggest tire is 285/70/17 (33"), Hardtrailz can answer you saying that it is a 35" tire, there is also another member here that can answer you saying 39" will work. That being said we don't know you, your truck, or your mods.

STOP BEING LAZY!

:thumbsup:

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
Merry Christmas to you as well. This is as kind and gentle as I can manage in the face of such a question.

Wow, the kinder, gentler roadie. I was expecting this.

6210d061-1150-8a97.jpg

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011

fadyasha

Dec 21, 2011
Cable810 said:
As the topic implies whats are the Biggest tires I can get on the Stock Wheel?

Sure if you looked u'd find what you're looking for. Stocks are 245/65/17's on the LTZ model as mine are (usually), the biggest you can go on 17's is 265/65/17's no mod's whatsoever but also may depend on the tire itself.

the roadie said:
YOU have YOUR vehicle in front of you. YOUR VEHICLE may have options we don't know about that weren't in the lowest trim level. YOU may or may not own a tape measure. YOUR door edge sticker may or may not be accurate. The tire sizes MOLDED INTO THE SIDEWALL may be lying to you.

Come on, you want bigger tires - take responsibility for learning what size you already have. :lipsrsealed:

wooooohooooo a side we've never seen! Merry Christmas Roadie!:thumbsup:

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:

Its not my vehicle...yet. I have no clue how to measure the wheels. I'm totally car illiterate. I want to learn how to do stuff with the soon to be mine TB. I have my uncle chewing me out everytime I talk to him, cause I don't know how to do this. My dad has never showed me cause he never did it himself. We have allways taken it to a shop to get the TB fixed. I google TONS of stuff. I plan on getting a chiltons manual for my TB cause my Uncle says if I want to do stuff on my own get that Manual. I do plan on going to where we have new tires put on an asking him whats the biggest I can get on the wheels with out any mods(Besides a leveling kit)

Regulator said:
STOP BEING LAZY!

Thank you for the Kind Gesture :smile:

Thank you all for your help.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Cable810 said:
Its not my vehicle...yet. I have no clue how to measure the wheels. I'm totally car illiterate. I want to learn how to do stuff with the soon to be mine TB. I have my uncle chewing me out everytime I talk to him, cause I don't know how to do this. My dad has never showed me cause he never did it himself. We have allways taken it to a shop to get the TB fixed. I google TONS of stuff. I plan on getting a chiltons manual for my TB cause my Uncle says if I want to do stuff on my own get that Manual. I do plan on going to where we have new tires put on an asking him whats the biggest I can get on the wheels with out any mods(Besides a leveling kit)

Thank you all for your help.

1) good luck with them knowing (Look at post 13 for the correct answer ant that depends on the tires, so have 1 test fitted on the front)
2) You could add 6+ inches of lift and you still can't fit any bigger tires than you can on a stock TB without wheels with a proper offset on adding wheel spacers

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
Its not my vehicle...yet.
Then asking questions like the exact tire size is WAY premature. Whether they're 16" or 17" rims is irrelevant because no matter what, they're going to cost you $100-200 each. Wheel spacers to go above 30.5" outer diameter is another $250-400. Lift kits are $200-500. And if you are planning to use it offroad instead of at the mall, there's another $300-1000 for recovery gear. And a slush fund for breakage. What's your budget like, since owning a vehicle is NOT CHEAP and you don't want to be modifying one that doesn't run well to begin with. Or that you can't maintain to the required longevity and safety standards.
I have no clue how to measure the wheels. I'm totally car illiterate.
OK, I get it now. You haven't had a car-maintenance mentor. I recommend the library for a dead-tree edition of books like "how cars work", first. Or a community college class.
I want to learn how to do stuff with the soon to be mine TB.
Why are you getting this specific vehicle? Because it's free and you don't have deep pockets? Or does it SPECIFICALLY fit the mission you need it to perform?
I have my uncle chewing me out everytime I talk to him, cause I don't know how to do this.
Your uncle doesn't sound like a patient mentor. And you're finding out this isn't that sort of site either, unless and until you show the initiative to come up to a certain level of knowledge first by reading the excellent tutorial sites and books available to you in a trivial Googling. On-line ENTHUSIAST forums are not the best place to learn elementary vehicle system concepts.
My dad has never showed me cause he never did it himself.
But he's encouraging you to learn more than your uncle? Is it out of the question that he lead you through a search session? Are his Googling skills up to modern standards for curious people?
We have allways taken it to a shop to get the TB fixed.
A choice often forced on people with no technical talent, patience, or time. YMMV.
I google TONS of stuff.
But if you're not locating the answers, your search phrase formation may need to be improved.
I plan on getting a chiltons manual for my TB cause my Uncle says if I want to do stuff on my own get that Manual.
Good idea. And then you'll need tools. Lotsa tools.
I do plan on going to where we have new tires put on an asking him whats the biggest I can get on the wheels with out any mods(Besides a leveling kit)
Not that any tire store will know the answer. :no:
Just trying to head off unreasonable expectations. Not trying to burst your bubble, but sometimes it's the kindest thing we can do to point out that your Googling skills are not up to minimum fish & game standards if you can't locate the answer to this specific question in two minutes max. Here or on trailvoy.com

Here's a free clue: Let me google that for you

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
You can download a manual on this site. Start reading it,it describes the various systems of the vehicle well.

Use your favorite search engine and search for how to read tire sizes, how suspension works, how a fuel injected engine works. Theres lots of good tutorials and articles out there.
There are also a host of articles on this forum.

You just need to spend some time reading and understanding the basics.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Then asking questions like the exact tire size is WAY premature. Whether they're 16" or 17" rims is irrelevant because no matter what, they're going to cost you $100-200 each. Wheel spacers to go above 30.5" outer diameter is another $250-400. Lift kits are $200-500. And if you are planning to use it offroad instead of at the mall, there's another $300-1000 for recovery gear. And a slush fund for breakage. What's your budget like, since owning a vehicle is NOT CHEAP and you don't want to be modifying one that doesn't run well to begin with. Or that you can't maintain to the required longevity and safety standards.

I'm thinking in the long run. I'm a person who likes to think and look AHEAD. I'm not going to do it the very minute I buy the TB, but its something I'd like to do in the FUTURE, be prepared, and have my ducks in order.

the roadie said:
OK, I get it now. You haven't had a car-maintenance mentor. I recommend the library for a dead-tree edition of books like "how cars work", first. Or a community college class.

Correct.

the roadie said:
Why are you getting this specific vehicle? Because it's free and you don't have deep pockets? Or does it SPECIFICALLY fit the mission you need it to perform?

I'm getting a TB cause its the only good vehicle for sale up here and its within my budget. Its clean, Its been well taken care of, mileage is good, and Its been in my family.

the roadie said:
Your uncle doesn't sound like a patient mentor. And you're finding out this isn't that sort of site either, unless and until you show the initiative to come up to a certain level of knowledge first by reading the excellent tutorial sites and books available to you in a trivial Googling. On-line ENTHUSIAST forums are not the best place to learn elementary vehicle system concepts.

He is patient, I just described him wrong. He has worked for GM, as his brother and my Grandpa(his dad) have as well. Well my interperation of Vehicle specific forums, I thought, was to help people who don't know a whole lot of stuff, but are ready to learn.

the roadie said:
But he's encouraging you to learn more than your uncle? Is it out of the question that he lead you through a search session? Are his Googling skills up to modern standards for curious people?

He is encouraging me BY chewing my out. Its his way of encouraging me. He dosn't really use the Computer and when he does he call me if he has a question. But he has worked for GM.

the roadie said:
A choice often forced on people with no technical talent, patience, or time. YMMV.

the roadie said:
But if you're not locating the answers, your search phrase formation may need to be improved.

It must.

the roadie said:
Good idea. And then you'll need tools. Lotsa tools.

Ya think??

the roadie said:
Not that any tire store will know the answer. :no:Just trying to head off unreasonable expectations.

I will still ask maybe he does know?? It never hurts to ask.

the roadie said:
Not trying to burst your bubble, but sometimes it's the kindest thing we can do to point out that your Googling skills are not up to minimum fish & game standards if you can't locate the answer to this specific question in two minutes max. Here or on trailvoy.com

I use google all da time.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
He is encouraging me BY chewing my out.
Then you know EXACTLY where I'm coming from. :wink: Challenging you with tough love instead of spoon-feeding you the answers. To ask you to define your objectives before you spend money or even waste time planning for a mission you only THINK you have. Back to fundamentals - why do you think you need larger tires? Are you ready for the downsides and side effects of larger tires? Are you intending to look good at the mall or use the vehicle offroad? What kind of offroad? What kind of mall? :biggrin:

BTW, enthusiast forums, as I've been participating in them for over ten years, generally concentrate on platform specific modifications and questions. It's sort of assumed when we say "transfer case" that you can find that sort of fundamental information elsewhere about where it sits and what it does. The amount and nature of the fluid inside that you need to change every 50K miles is a good question to search for here. :wink:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wow. I woulda just told him that to look at the specs for the tires he is interested inand see if his wheels are wide enough.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
the roadie said:
Then you know EXACTLY where I'm coming from. :wink: Challenging you with tough love instead of spoon-feeding you the answers. To ask you to define your objectives before you spend money or even waste time planning for a mission you only THINK you have.

the roadie said:
Back to fundamentals - why do you think you need larger tires? Are you ready for the downsides and side effects of larger tires? Are you intending to look good at the mall or use the vehicle offroad? What kind of offroad? What kind of mall? :biggrin:

I want bigger tires so I don't have that dumb truck lifted with tiny tires. I think it looks soooooooooo stupid. What downsides..... Loss in mpg etc?? . I intend to look good at the Mall :yes: and to off road. What kind of mall......... a Strip Mall :rotfl: What kind of offroading you ask, 2 tracking :biggrin:

the roadie said:
BTW, enthusiast forums, as I've been participating in them for over ten years, generally concentrate on platform specific modifications and questions. It's sort of assumed when we say "transfer case" that you can find that sort of fundamental information elsewhere about where it sits and what it does. The amount and nature of the fluid inside that you need to change every 50K miles is a good question to search for here. :wink:

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
the roadie said:
Our ages are as different as our styles. And our daughter who's 33 now, went through many of the ages of the younger posters, and I can't help but feel fatherly towards them. Even the ones who don't want to be fathered. :wink: :rotfl:
we knew the kinder gentler Roadie wouldn't stay around long.

For some reason it made me think of that song "A boy named Sue".

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
jbones said:
How high are you going?

MarkMc 2.5" I'll probally just use it to level it out, and possiably install the rest of the kit later on.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Cable810 said:
MarkMc 2.5" I'll probally just use it to level it out, and possiably install the rest of the kit later on.

if you are only doing that then the biggest tires you can fit anyhow is a 265/70R16 or a 265/65R17.

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Cable810 said:

Rest of what kit, you aren't getting the front and rear spacers at the same time?

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
jbones said:
Rest of what kit, you aren't getting the front and rear spacers at the same time?

No I'm not. And roadie, I asked the place where we get our tires, he knew exactly what rims size the TB had and he gave a the biggest tire size i can get for 17" rims. :raspberry: In a nice way :smile:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Cable810 said:
No I'm not. And roadie, I asked the place where we get our tires, he knew exactly what rims size the TB had and he gave a the biggest tire size i can get for 17" rims. :raspberry: In a nice way :smile:

And what was the answer he gave you?

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
djthumper said:
And what was the answer he gave you?

Rim size was 17" and the biggest tire....I forgot..........

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Cable810 said:
...the biggest tire....I forgot..........
So it's a tie! But you're not buying right away anyway, so it doesn't matter. :biggrin:

The tire store HAD to be nice to you to get your business. Here's we're gruff because it pays better than being a bridge troll.

View attachment 17552

Attachments

• 88511862-881f-43f5-8ebf-a957a2fd194f.jpg
    88511862-881f-43f5-8ebf-a957a2fd194f.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 64

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
jbones said:
Won't that just reverse your nose down to ass down when not doing the rear spacer at the same time?

Not if he only goes with 1.5" lift up front. It will make him level.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Cable810 said:
Rim size was 17" and the biggest tire....I forgot..........

If you read my previous post with the max tire size it might jog your memory.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
So it's a tie! But you're not buying right away anyway, so it doesn't matter. :biggrin:

The tire store HAD to be nice to you to get your business. Here's we're gruff because it pays better than being a bridge troll.

View attachment 2148

Frank tells Mac "you got to pay the troll toll if you want to get..."

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Cable810 said:

jbones said:

jbones said:
Won't that just reverse your nose down to ass down when not doing the rear spacer at the same time?

jbones said:
He said he was going 2.5" though!

Mark's kit has the 2 piece front system, so he has options of what to run at what point. He can level and then later add the other front spacer and rear spacers to actually lift.

Cable810

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
djthumper: I think you were right 265/65R17. He also said If I really wanted to get a bigger tire I would have to get bigger rims, which I don't have the money for.

the roadie said:

View attachment 2148

If you say he HAD to be nice... I will accepct a tie :cool:. Sorry for all the hassle I have you, and every one who helped me.

Thank you all for your help!:thumbsup:

I was looking around on the internet and found this tire size for my TB 245/65R17

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online