big brake swap to ext - pad differences?

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
So I have a 2006 LS. Pulled caliper brackets from junkyard....probably ~03 EXT's with the 12.8" rotors. Then went and bought rotors and pads for an 06 SS. The pads don't fit into the bracket. They are a bit too long.

I looked up an 03 ext rotor and it matches the 06SS, however the pad part number is different.

Anyone have any input? I'm headed back to the parts store tomorrow with caliper bracket in hand.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
You sure they gave you the right pads? My local adv screwed me and gave me one number off pads, were out of stock on the correct ones and I had to upgrade to the next level up to get the right ones.

It was for the rear tho, so not exactly the same scenario but mistakes happen. Buy parts for an EXT. No reason whatsoever to buy parts for an ss. Just get good rotors and ceramic pads and slap it all together. :2thumbsup:

Reactions: Redbeard

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
The rear is all the same across whole platform.

When I did the ext/ss front rotor upgrade i did not have any issue with pads and bought everything(rotors and pads) based on SS using ext brackets and my stock calipers.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
'03 brackets and pads (with aluminum calipers) will not work with your '06 cast iron calipers. Rotors are the same. You need to find brackets from an '06 EXT or SS. They are available from Cardone.

bruhaba

Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
'03 brackets and pads (with aluminum calipers) will not work with your '06 cast iron calipers. Rotors are the same. You need to find brackets from an '06 EXT or SS. They are available from Cardone.

You got it mooseman. I've learned this the hardway unfortunately. Thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online