Big Brake Kits

palitoiii

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
What big break kits are available for I6 Trailblazer? Does the Baer kit fit?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Same kits for the SS, you just need bigger wheels to clear the calipers.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Think SSBB is the only one made anymore. The rears are supposed to be shit thought from what I've read. Big bucks! Personally I'd just switch to the stock TBSS brakes. Which are basically the same as the LWB and V8 TB, Envoy, Rainier...etc...only difference is TBSS has cast iron calipers. If you want the looks there's plenty of drilled/slotted rotors to chose from. You can get powder coated calipers, or paint them, have them coated.

I do know you have to at least have 17" wheels for the V8/TBSS setup. Calipers/pads are the same, just bigger rotor and caliper bracket

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
A vendor on the SS site just finished a kit that allows you to mount z06 calipers and a rotor the same size as the zo6 for the front. I think he is working on the rear kit now.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
24v 4.2 said:
A vendor on the SS site just finished a kit that allows you to mount z06 calipers and a rotor the same size as the zo6 for the front. I think he is working on the rear kit now.
Hadn't seen he ever got that done. I'll have to check it out

For the $$ though. Stock TBSS brake are more than adequate. Especially for street use. imho these trucks stop pretty well for 2+ tons. Even with stock 6cyl brakes

palitoiii

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I was thinking of going with the Baer brakes cause I already have ss wheels.. The vendor on the ss site with the zo6 if u price it out will be over or close to $2000 with the zo6 calipers.. So it's cheaper to get the Baer brakes kit that they sell for the ss.. Just wanted to make sure if the Baer will just bolt on it should...

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
06 (maybe earlier?) and up use the same brake lines as the SS. My 06 did.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Hoses is what I meant. Think the brake hoses are different on a TBSS in rear. Maybe not. Thought I saw that somewhere. Maybe it was just earlier years. No way I could justify the $$ for those brakes tho. If you were autocrossing or road or oval racing it maybe.... But who does that with these heavy beasts lol. They look great though.

palitoiii

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
Well I want them cause 1. Looks 2. With these bigger rims 20 ss wheels it's like slowing down a train.. Im going 22"s for the summer time. Slowing down here in NY at times is crazy plus I have. Heavy foot.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Not to be a spelling Nazi, but could a Mod fix the spelling of brakes in the title?

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
palitoiii said:
Well I want them cause 1. Looks 2. With these bigger rims 20 ss wheels it's like slowing down a train.. Im going 22"s for the summer time. Slowing down here in NY at times is crazy plus I have. Heavy foot.
I hear ya! I'd like a set too. For about half that price tho lol. I'll go the TBSS route. Unless I hit the lotto. Since I never play it not holding my breath lol

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Of course, if you already have a LWB, then only upgrade you can do is shell out the cash for those big boy kits. :hopeless:

felicie

Jan 13, 2013
Why not try a more aggressive pads, rotors, and steel breaded brake lines first, which should give you better braking.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Braided stainless steel brake lines definitely helped my i6 Trailblazer. I did the ext brake mod, the stainless steel lines and they were a big improvement. I didn't have to push the pedal as far and it seemed to grab harder. The pedal was also a lot less spongy.

I combined the ext brake mod (w/ brakemotive d&s rotors), stainless steel brake lines, Belltech suspension with SS springs up front, and wide tires on the SS wheels I had and it would stop on a dime. I don't think any more braking power would have been necessary.

Definitely going to go the same route with the Aero.

If you're 06 or later, the ss lines also seemed to help Stabilitrak work more efficiently (active for a shorter period of time).

Unless I start road racing or towing very frequently, I don't think I could justify the price of the Baer kit or the Z06 kit.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
24v 4.2 said:
Braided stainless steel brake lines definitely helped my i6 Trailblazer. I did the ext brake mod, the stainless steel lines and they were a big improvement. I didn't have to push the pedal as far and it seemed to grab harder. The pedal was also a lot less spongy.

I combined the ext brake mod (w/ brakemotive d&s rotors), stainless steel brake lines, Belltech suspension with SS springs up front, and wide tires on the SS wheels I had and it would stop on a dime. I don't think any more braking power would have been necessary.

Definitely going to go the same route with the Aero.

If you're 06 or later, the ss lines also seemed to help Stabilitrak work more efficiently (active for a shorter period of time).

Unless I start road racing or towing very frequently, I don't think I could justify the price of the Baer kit or the Z06 kit.
Where did you get your ss hoses? Haven't seen a source on those anywhere. Was gonna have mine made when I get to it. Definitely makes a big difference in pedal feel. I've used them in many other vehicles.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Tiggerr said:
Where did you get your ss hoses? Haven't seen a source on those anywhere. Was gonna have mine made when I get to it. Definitely makes a big difference in pedal feel. I've used them in many other vehicles.
Clarksville Fasteners, number is 931-553-8697

I know there was some kind of difference in the brake lines for certain years. I know 06 and on matches the Trailblazer SS brake lines, but I'm not sure about earlier years.

Not sure if these guys have the earlier style or not.

Reactions: Blckshdw

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not sure if the difference is in the lines. I know the ABS setup is different, but thought the lines were the same.

Found out through some research that the 02-05 are differnt and on the SS forum someone said they got a set from clarksville for an 02.

Here is an option for the front only I found as well though.

http://thmotorsports.com/i-1686176.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_content=1686176NOFITMENT&utm_campaign=GoogleShoppingSeanNOFITMENT&adtype=pla&kw=&gclid=CjwKEAjwkcWrBRDg5u6SuPS11C0SJAChLLAHqzigkS70l7wDnwBbl3oC_H8mf9coFqTw-taJWOfE3hoCZkDw_wcB&aid=9259544

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
One difference between 02-05 and 06-on is they went to cast iron front calipers whereas the older ones were aluminum, which tends to flex more. I did notice that difference between my 02 EXT and my 06 9-7x. The 06 are way firmer.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Just curious. Are the cast iron calipers sleeved with stainless
steel? I had to do that to my 67 Corvette.

24v 4.2

Jan 16, 2013
Ok. I found what made me think the 02 to 05 lines are different.

"Rear drivers side line on the 02-05 is a 3 way split"

Someone confirm?

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I believe they went to four wheel ABS in 2006. That's why the 02-05 had the 3-way split.

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online