Beware!-Scotty's Tint in Newark, DE....

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
I have to share a crazy bad experience I had with this place the other day. To all my Delawareans, this place is at Albe Drive on Old Baltimore Pike.

So I was watching tv last night and I get a text from one of my exes, asking how do you know if someone is on drugs. I was thinking WTF and before I knew it she called me up.

Her and her mom were at Scotty's (time was about 6ish) and they had been there since 3. She wanted her windshield brow redone and one of the rear door tint redone. So 3 hrs later, the only thing really done was the brow---which had been done for a coupe hours. Back to the "drugs question", she said both him and his helper (who's his wife or something) had slurred speech and were often dozing off and falling asleep. Very incoherent and asking the same stupid stuff over and over.

So she needed me as an enforcer. So I drove over to meet them standing outside the place. They told me more about the dozing and taking a crazy long time. Her mom was asking me to put my foot down on there behalf. Oh thats too easy a request!! So I go to approach him and sure enough he was doubled over in his little chair by her door, fast asleep.

So I yell at him to wake up. Ask him what the deal was with taking the long time. He had wandering sleepy eyes and couldn't even form a complete sentence the entire time. He said he had only been working on the door FOR TEN MINUTES!! Really dude it's been 3 hours. So we were in each others faces for a few minutes, and finally he said, watch this I'll be done in 10 mins. I said good I'm timing your ass. As for the sleeping, at one point he said he had new contacts that were bothering his eyes. Really dude!---I'm not an idiot!!

Needless to say, it took him 14 mins but he finally got that shit done. I also saw his wife standing next to him, falling asleep as she stood there. Not sure what their deal was, drugs or whatever. But that was very unprofessional, (shady, ghetto, lowlife) and that is not how you run a business. I'm still pissed over the whole ordeal.

I was reading similar reviews about this place (on yellowpages.com) that mirror our experience almost exactly. Shady, drugs, unprofessional, and the falling asleep.

Take it for what it's worth, we chalk it up as a loss and move on. And if i can hopefully help someone avoid this I will most surely try.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
WOW. I would of pulled my truck far away from him. Im sure you would do the same. Thats Ridiculous. For Tint I usually send people to the chain audio stores around here they can get you done same day and not make you get an appointment like im visiting a doctor and then you have someone to hold responsible. Spread The Word because thats just beyond pathetic!

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Sounds like a few of the shops around here. I know of 3 that had been busted as money laundering operations.

That is unacceptable though, at least wait until after hours to start the bad habits. Unless of course it kept them up all night, which sounds right.

On a lighter note. I keep imagining Chow from Hangover saying "its just a little bump".

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
My ex told me after the fact that the wife was all up in her car, for what reason I know not. But exactly like you said man, my ride woulda been hauled ass outta there. And at the point I knew about hers and she texted me, it was kinda like the damage was already done. So just wanted his ass to get it done and He finally finished it. And if what he did falls apart, it will surely get taken somewhere else to be fixed. We are done with that place.

I try to do the best research whenever I take my car somewhere, then ask friends where they go, then do my research a second time just to be sure.

I wish I woulda had enough sense to take video of all that. It still baffles me!

And you know what, I'm sure we woulda all been happy had they said, man we had a rough night last night, can we reschedule? Ya know what I mean? It woulda showed some responsibility and professionalism from our point of view.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Put a truthful review on Yelp. Around here, Yelp is to go-to place.

And the BBB of course.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
BBB is really worthless. I was ripped off by a place, complained and the place said they did nothing wrong. BBB believed them.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Mark20 said:
BBB is really worthless. I was ripped off by a place, complained and the place said they did nothing wrong. BBB believed them.
So did the small claims judge agree with you or them? Why let it sit when the puppy dog BBB (each district can have a different culture) rolls over?

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I had a good experience with the BBB.

took the TB in for some new tires at merchant tires. also had them do a pan drop trans service. (around 75k miles or so if I recall)

should have run after one look at the garage, was a filth pile. they scratched my wheels, pushed the weights around with a hammer, over inflated. the tires. I went back repeatedly, left so they could fix it for days while I was out of town. this was with two managers at the store

BBB got me a full refund on the work they did, including the tires from a corporate person. ( I got a set of goodyears elsewhere) but I never did get the wheels fixed. they still seem to be round anyway, and still remind me to be careful where to go for service. my tranny went at just over 100k, ( I put a crate replacement with 36 mo) and I think they had something to do with it. they dropped a pan screw down the oil drain container, and brought fluid in a plastic can from somewhere.

needless to say, i will never go back to a Merchants tire. anywhere.

sorry for the rant, just wanted to say sometimes the BBB will get you something.

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
My ex just called me. The back window tint he replaced on the rear passenger door, well it don't even match any of the other windows. It's darker than the rest. Oh geez. So I told her to try calling the BBB of DE sometime this wk and report the place and maybe she could even get her money back. And then she could use her refund to go to a better shop and get it fixed.

We'll see

Thanks for the input everyone!

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
the roadie said:
So did the small claims judge agree with you or them? Why let it sit when the puppy dog BBB (each district can have a different culture) rolls over?

Didn't even go to small claims. BBB said nothing they could do, the place responded to them and that was all they were interested in.

It was a small computer store and I eventually got even with them. A friend with a small business needed a bunch of new computers and they were in the lead to get the business. When I told him the story he called them right then and there and told them he was going with someone else because they screwed a friend of his. I could here the um um um and they'd really would like his business but he again said no and bye followed by CLICK.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Mark20 said:
Didn't even go to small claims. BBB said nothing they could do, the place responded to them and that was all they were interested in.

It was a small computer store and I eventually got even with them. A friend with a small business needed a bunch of new computers and they were in the lead to get the business. When I told him the story he called them right then and there and told them he was going with someone else because they screwed a friend of his. I could here the um um um and they'd really would like his business but he again said no and bye followed by CLICK.

Sorry to hijack the thread.

No need to be sorry Mark....

As far as your story......Kharma's a bitch. I love it when people get what's coming to them!!

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
Mike,

it would be worth at least a call to the place to discuss your experience.

if there is a "boss" he would like to know, if the folks you dealt with run the place, they may decide to make it right. (assuming you catch them sober and awake...)

follow up with a letter to them, documenting the details. (focused on what you paid for that was not delivered or faulty) BBB first question likely will be if the place was given a chance to make it right.

one thing to keep in mind is that for your ex to get any money, they have to have some.

at some point, best to move on. Not sure how much time and effort you want to put in on your ex's problem.

Good Luck

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
meerschm said:
at some point, best to move on. Not sure how much time and effort you want to put in on your ex's problem.
Precisely. Only guy I knew with an overly-friendly ex ended up remarrying her. After three months back together, she divorced him AGAIN, and took him for almost $200K more than she had gotten the first time. Good investment of time for her. Now his retirement was hosed, and she was set up.

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
meerschm said:
Mike,

it would be worth at least a call to the place to discuss your experience.

if there is a "boss" he would like to know, if the folks you dealt with run the place, they may decide to make it right. (assuming you catch them sober and awake...)

follow up with a letter to them, documenting the details. (focused on what you paid for that was not delivered or faulty) BBB first question likely will be if the place was given a chance to make it right.

one thing to keep in mind is that for your ex to get any money, they have to have some.

at some point, best to move on. Not sure how much time and effort you want to put in on your ex's problem.Good Luck

the roadie said:
Precisely. Only guy I knew with an overly-friendly ex ended up remarrying her. After three months back together, she divorced him AGAIN, and took him for almost $200K more than she had gotten the first time. Good investment of time for her. Now his retirement was hosed, and she was set up.

the people that we dealt with are pretty much the owners/workers, it's only those 2 that work there. i wonder if they would even remember any of the whole ordeal, haha. oh and i am not really putting any time and effort, besides my little rescue the other night----and some verbal feedback or advice to her. now it's all up to her with regards to any phone calls or effort she may wanna put into getting her money back or reporting him or whatever. :thumbsup:

and i hope you both are insinuating i am trying to do this to get back with her :eek: :hissyfit: :rotfl: :no:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
That is some BS. At least you got them out of there.

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
HARDTRAILZ said:
That is some BS. At least you got them out of there.

and it's funny cuz im still reading reviews about them on yellowpages.com, and everyone on there chalks up the negative reviews to "competitors or angry ex-employees" trying to slander him. well i hope all his future clients catch him on a good day, i wish no one a bad experience. but if they catch him on a bad day, well they can't say i didnt try to warn them!! :thumbsup:

I wish i woulda taken video of the whole thing. :cool:

DARKASS04EXT

Nov 21, 2011
mikeinDE said:
and it's funny cuz im still reading reviews about them on yellowpages.com, and everyone on there chalks up the negative reviews to "competitors or angry ex-employees" trying to slander him. well i hope all his future clients catch him on a good day, i wish no one a bad experience. but if they catch him on a bad day, well they can't say i didnt try to warn them!! :thumbsup:

I wish i woulda taken video of the whole thing. :cool:

Maybe I should take my EXT over there to have the eyebrow done again. It would probably be worth it just to be able to make a video of the experience. hmmm, maybe even load up to youtube,lol.

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
UPDATE: At one point after this whole ordeal, My ex texted me and wrote "Please put me out of my misery if I ever go back there again". Well not even like 2 days after that text, she emailed me at work to tell me she called Scotty to get him to fix that back passenger door again. (Not sure if I mentioned this but OMG that window he just did is darker than all the rest.) He said he would try to fit her in this past SAT.

I replied to her email and told her she was stupid. for one, her text about putting her out of her misery, and NOW SHE IS GONNA GO BACK??? sorry but when I deal with a business: you screw me once, I will gladly pay to take it somewhere else to get it fixed, as long as I don't have to deal with you anymore. well I musta made her mad, haha oh well, and I was tellin her she was crazy and whatnot. So she never did tell me what happened on SAT.

So today she told me that she had went there and he fixed it. I told her that I didn't wanna hear anything about it anymore. I'm done. But I hope he had her there for 6 hours this time. She also told me today "why would I pay to take it somewhere else?". :confused:

She'll never learn :crazy:

Jmpatrick89

Feb 1, 2014
Long story short, today 2/1/14 we took my wife's car to Scotty. She accidentally left her wallet in the car so I went back to get it and the car was not there. He drove her car all around Newark/Wilmington stole $10 cash out of her wallet and used her debit card at various gas stations in the area. He called 4 hours after we dropped it off and said he's been having a bad day and he can't do the tint. Her brother got her a gift card to get her tint dome for Christmas so it had already been paid for. My wife's brother and I went to pick up her car and argued with Scotty and asked him why he was driving her car around and he said it was just to go get a drink. This dude is definitely a junkie meaning he abuses drugs. When I got home with her car she assured me that her car had been searched through but nothing was missing so I proceeded to check our bank account. He spent $125 at various different gas pumps in the area and no sooner my banks fraud department calls me to notify me that they had shut down her card because of too many attempts. I know for 100 percent fact it was him because we only have 1 card to that account and it was in his possession all day. This guy is supposed to be running a company but unfortunately you really can't trust anybody. We filed a police report and he is going to get his. And to Scotty if you see this you really need to go get yourself some help and stop taking advantage of people who try to give you business. I will never recommend you to anybody and we will come get the money her brother spent on that giftcard. Mike it's a shame that people keep having to deal with this guy hopefully we can get him shut down with bad reviews

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
If I ever have vehicles in-shop for jobs where I can't sit up front and wait, I record the current odometer reading. I understand there may be some things that would require a short (1-2) mile test drive, and I make sure I find out up-front if a test drive would be necessary to confirm repairs or get a feel for what's going on. There should be no unaccounted mileage, if there is take it up with the shop or with the BBB, or somewhere. Obviously for a tint shop there is no need for any sort of driving other than 100 feet total to pull it into the shop and pull it out when it's done.

Online reviews are a good place to truthfully write out your experience. Saying he's on drugs, etc. on such a site may get your review discredited (unless you saw hard proof like a particular pipe) but just chalking up your total experience would provide anyone smart enough to check into places before blindly handing over keys a bit of warning, save a bit of trouble and in the case of the stolen bank funds a lot of money!

Watch the fraud dept. and police get together and check around the stores where charges were made/attempted. So many places have cameras these days, he very well could wind up with criminal charges over his little "grocery-getting."

It's a shame, too, because people running a business in such a disreputable manner ends up costing the honest guys money - sometimes one or two bad experiences makes people shy away from all shops of the same type, believing them all to be robbers and fraudsters, and the honest tint guys down the way doing quality work and following the rules get screwed by losing potential sales.

mikeinDE

Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Jmpatrick, sorry to hear about your ordeal. That's crazy. After our ordeal, I put a review/warning up on here, and on "yp.com". Her mom called the BBB and I saw the review on their site. Do what you can to spread the word!
Sad thing is all the negative reviews on YP are chalked up as: competing businesses trying to run down their competition, or disgruntled associates or ex-workers and the like.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.