Better trans?

GreenMachineTB

Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Washington
I've been reading that the stock transmissions are kinda weak, i was wondering if anybody has installed or knows of better transmissions than the 4L60.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The 4L60E is a pretty good transmission. The majority live quite a long time if well maintained and you add an aux cooler, whether you tow or not. The one in my '02 lasted over 320k km (200k miles) and it was not properly maintained by the PO when I changed the brown fluid at 200k km. The one in my Saab with the 5.3L is still working well with over 220k km and I now use it to tow our 5200# travel trailer. Behind stock motors, they are fine.

If you need to beef it up due to increased power or excessive abuse, there is the 6L70E from a TBSS but may be difficult to find. The 4L60E can be rebuilt and beefed up to even better specs.

Some have swapped in the 4L80E, mostly by the TBSS guys. Does require fabrication and modified harness to work with the PCM.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If you need to beef it up due to increased power or excessive abuse, there is the 6L70E from a TBSS but may be difficult to find.

When did the TB SS have a 6 speed?

The 4L60 really is not bad if properly maintained and cooled. The bitching lately is all about old vehicles with unknown maintenance and is kinda sad to see. I run 35 inch tires and still tow shit and have 192K miles on my stock trans with a simple addition of a cooler and doing basic fluid/filter changes. It works great and I do not feel like it is weak.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reactions: BrianF

Ilikemy3s

Dec 3, 2011
I got my 04 TB 5 years ago with 85K miles on it. Well over 200K and it still runs smooth. Did all the recommended service on it since i have had it But then again i don't beat on it

Reactions: Mooseman

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Had 129 on my first tranny when it started slipping. Mind you, I am not normally gentle on my cars, and I have the V8 to boot. New trans is going strong at 194k (64k in service) miles.

EDIT: I also pull trailers a lot, in the mountains a lot, and a few times across country.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman and Matt

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
The 4L60E is a great trans and can be modified to take a pounding. In our stock trim it's a little soft and likely for drivability and also had to compete against rivals during it's model run so smoothness was possibly a key factor.

I had about 150K on the stock trans when the 2-3 shift developed a flare, or delayed shift. At that point I replaced the seperator plate as a check ball had pretty much pounded through the plate. At the same time for preventative maintenance, I replaced the 1-2 /2-3 accumulator piston, forward accumulator piston & both shift solenoids.

Trans1.jpg

Fluid has been changed on average every 40K, currently the trans is at 309K miles and I plan on doing all this again very soon. The 2-3 shift is only soft on occasion, so not going to chance anything.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have 223k on mine and wouldn't hesitate to take it on a trip. Due for a fluid change... actually, might be past due 🤔

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
Its not a bad transmission, as others have stated but like most, it needs to live within its means.

The newer ones apparently have better sun gears, planetaries that are not prone to self destructing under stock power. One limitation I have heard of is the design of the case may cause slight fluid starving during the 2 to 3 or the 3 to 4 shift. Not an issue under mild use but can cause issues when constantly being flogged.

Anyways, I had read up on that stuff years ago and can't recall my sources. Mine has been trouble free for 255,000km. She got fresh fluid and filter at 160,000km and will get the same next year.

My 1993 C1500 has the first version of the 4L60E. North of 380,000km. Don't think it was ever serviced. It shuddered when you it lugged with the TC locked and you could not pass a vehicle on the highway unless you took your time and the TC was locked. I pumped out the brown sludge and gave her a diet of cheap Dex 3 but not even a new filter. Runs like a top now. This, after a couple generations of idiot kids beat the snot out of her.

Last edited:

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
limitation I have heard of is the design of the case may cause slight fluid starving during the 2 to 3 or the 3 to 4 shift

I want to speculate that was with the earlier 700R4 variants and not the 4L60(E), if I'm understanding you correctly. I believe holes were added around the planets to aid in more fluid reaching the planet bearings.

@GreenMachineTB How many miles are on your trans, service history? For sake of conversation, I honestly don't believe there's a finer automatic trans for our platforms. Definitely not trying to jinx you but with proper maintenance the 4L60E is a dependable trans.

There are upgrades avail that require removing it to truly turn it into a near trouble-free unit if so desired.

Adding an external cooler is always a good idea, even if you can drop the operating temp 20 deg.

GreenMachineTB

Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Washington
I want to speculate that was with the earlier 700R4 variants and not the 4L60(E), if I'm understanding you correctly. I believe holes were added around the planets to aid in more fluid reaching the planet bearings.

@GreenMachineTB How many miles are on your trans, service history? For sake of conversation, I honestly don't believe there's a finer automatic trans for our platforms. Definitely not trying to jinx you but with proper maintenance the 4L60E is a dependable trans.

There are upgrades avail that require removing it to truly turn it into a near trouble-free unit if so desired.

Adding an external cooler is always a good idea, even if you can drop the operating temp 20 deg.

I only know how well it was maintained from the person i bought it from, i do onow the engine was already replaced. Thats about it.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I only know how well it was maintained from the person i bought it from, i do onow the engine was already replaced. Thats about it.

Mileage on vehicle? Check the fluid level with trans hot, engine idling, and level surface.

If the color of the fluid looks good, red or light pink, but not dark or brown with a burned smell, then you should be good.

From a stop, if you can pull away at 1/4- 1/3 throttle and not get a jump in RPM between shifts, especially the 2-3 shift, and all shifts feel good, then without driving it I would suspect it's somewhat healthy.

What part of Texas are you going to? If you are going near Amarillo, maybe make a stop at Crich Transmissions, I've been following this guy for awhile and I'm amazed at his knowledge of these transmissions. His YouTube channel is fascinating if you're into the mechanics of transmissions. Between him and Dana at ProBuilt Automatics, in Ca, I cannot think of anything they couldn't do with one. Dana is excellent to speak with and purchase parts from. If I was withing a few hours of Texas, I would absolutely have a 4L60E built from Richard.

GreenMachineTB

Original poster
Aug 13, 2020
Washington
Mileage on vehicle? Check the fluid level with trans hot, engine idling, and level surface.

If the color of the fluid looks good, red or light pink, but not dark or brown with a burned smell, then you should be good.

From a stop, if you can pull away at 1/4- 1/3 throttle and not get a jump in RPM between shifts, especially the 2-3 shift, and all shifts feel good, then without driving it I would suspect it's somewhat healthy.

What part of Texas are you going to? If you are going near Amarillo, maybe make a stop at Crich Transmissions, I've been following this guy for awhile and I'm amazed at his knowledge of these transmissions. His YouTube channel is fascinating if you're into the mechanics of transmissions. Between him and Dana at ProBuilt Automatics, in Ca, I cannot think of anything they couldn't do with one. Dana is excellent to speak with and purchase parts from. If I was withing a few hours of Texas, I would absolutely have a 4L60E built from Richard.
Sorry, it has 190k. From what you say, it's pretty sound running. I'll have to check fluids today. Im going all the way down to corpus Christi I'm sure i can talk the convoy into a side stop seems how there will be at least two other TB's that plan to beat the hell out their trucks like ibplan to.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher