Best type of wash and wax?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
The title says it all :biggrin:

I'm looking for a really high quality wash and wax. I need to get the molding marks off the sides and I have very slight oxidization on the hood and door, it's only a VERY slight color change compared to the rest of the truck. I was told that mothers was the best, but I'm just not sold.

Any suggestions?

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i pretty much use all Meguier's products.. the waxes, quik mist, wax and mist, etc... keeps the beaSSt nice and shiny... i dont have any oxidation though, so i dont know how the products would fair... there is a vendor on here Greg at DI who specializes in cleaners, etc... for us... may want to check um out...

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Boricua SS said:
i pretty much use all Meguier's products.. the waxes, quik mist, wax and mist, etc... keeps the beaSSt nice and shiny... i dont have any oxidation though, so i dont know how the products would fair... there is a vendor on here Greg at DI who specializes in cleaners, etc... for us... may want to check um out...

Thanks! I will definitely have to look him up. I used the stuff called ICE before, I think it's made by armor all? I didn't care for it as it left a pretty heavy film on the cars. I know with the oxidization I have to buff it out pretty good, but I have NO idea what to use. I will look Greg up though and see if he can direct me to a nice product.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
Voymom said:
Thanks! I will definitely have to look him up. I used the stuff called ICE before, I think it's made by armor all? I didn't care for it as it left a pretty heavy film on the cars. I know with the oxidization I have to buff it out pretty good, but I have NO idea what to use. I will look Greg up though and see if he can direct me to a nice product.

i think maybe turtle wax made3 the ICE... it sounds very familiar... but yea, ive seen some of greg's products in person at local meets (Matt is the memebr that used his stuff) and i swear, some of the interior stuff... S#!+ was shiny!! :crackup:

but i use armor all "original" for my interior, and the wash (was on sale so i tried it lol) for the exterior... and then meguires wax, quik mist, etc... im happy with it... and i think its mothers who has the clay bar kit.. so i was going to give that a try when i bring the beaSSt outta hibernation in the spring... my brother (JosueLT on here with the colision thread) is supposed to be bufffing the beaSSt this spring.. so we'll see how she looks after that and what products i will use...

4wVoy

Feb 4, 2012
i usually use meguiers stuff too for soap and everything then detail with FW1. I used ICE before and it does ok but the FW1 puts it to shame IMHO. I use it on my motorcycles and vehicles. safe on glass, painted surfaces, plastic, chrome. Not the cheapest stuff out there but I swear by it. I usually get it off ebay. in bulk i can usually snag it up around $10 a bottle, if not then its about $12-17. Here is a listing on ebay. many more auctions out there for this stuff too

[EBAY]250985683548[/EBAY]

barron03

Nov 20, 2011
Check out Turtle Wax's Black box . I used it on the Tb and it worked great.

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I have to say, the Turtle Black Box did wonders on my Wifes (old 98' 3000GT).
On the Bravada I use Meguairs Clay, Ultimate Polish, then I use Auto Glym HD wax, it feels so smooth and beads water like no other.
My Miata from the factory has no clear coat, it does not take long for visible oxidation to set in. I use Meguairs clay, then (if its bad enough) ultimate compound, then ultimate polish, and since the Miata does not take to well to Auto Glym, I use the Ultimate Paste wax. Little car looks and feels good every time.
BTW I am a wax/polish whore.

And btw to wash it, Meguairs soft soap is my favorite, the cheap rain-x stuff seams to do alright, just make sure its a name brand, the really cheap stuff seams to be watered down. Hope some of this helps.

NewfieEnvoy

Jan 25, 2012
Years ago while going through college I use to work at a detailing shop. I tried all the higher end waxes available from Walmart/Canadian Tire/etc, and they were all pretty good. The problem I found was they didn't last long, you can usually tell how long the wax will last by how hard it is to remove as it hazes over. The more elbow grease you have to use the long its gonna last, my two cents. I'm sure its all related to the amount of carnauba and polymers. Anyway we switched over to Collinite brand waxes which were amazing! I haven't used anything else since. The 467 lasts forever and after one wax will appear as if you polished the truck. It will take a hazed over paint and really make it look wet, surface scratches will disappear. If you polish your vehicle and just need protection then try the 915 which is a beautiful wax full of carnauba, your paint feels like silk after a good coat. I'm no way affiliated with this product, wish I was, maybe I could get some freebies :smile: Just my experience.

Collinite 467 & Collinite 915 (not sure if I'm allowed to post links to the product so you can google your self)

Cheers,
NewfieEnvoy

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
Let's get technical lol
For oxidation removal your going to have to go beyond a wash and wax your going to need an abrassive compound to cut it away , sounds harsh I know but its not that bad lol. Megs ultimate compound is pretty similar to m105 which is the god of compounds but you will only pay about $8 a bottle instead of $32 for m105. The best way to apply is by machine polisher like a porter cable but no worries it can also be done by hand just takes more elbow grease. That's the to the point answer if that doesn't fix the oxidation we can show you what will lol
For wash I use something simple like megs gold for a wax I go straight to meguairs synthetic or polymer sealents it last extremely long and is her durable it is about $22 a bottle but that will last you a while.

Voymom said:
The title says it all :biggrin:

I'm looking for a really high quality wash and wax. I need to get the molding marks off the sides and I have very slight oxidization on the hood and door, it's only a VERY slight color change compared to the rest of the truck. I was told that mothers was the best, but I'm just not sold.

Any suggestions?

Check out a vendor here called detailed image. They have a product line of high quality products to care for our vehicles. I have used them in the past and it makes my TB look and feel amazing. If they are not over here yet you can hit them up over on the failed site.

Steve

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Greg will steer you in the right direction. His website isDetailed Image - Premium Auto Detailing and Car Care Products

I use Chemical Guys Maxi Suds II for washing, two bucket system. 303 Protectant for the interior and external plastics. I'm not worrying about waxing right at the moment...until I get my rusted bonnet replaced.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks everyone! I guess I will have to go find Greg :biggrin:

stormsurge

Jan 29, 2012
I use liquid glass pollish. its getting hard to find. We used it on are boats to get the shine back. I picked up a 85 K5 blazer that was black and orange, used the polish on it and the orange ended up being red lol. It cleans up the swurls too. Pic of my ss after polishing it.

Attachments

• P1010038 (2).jpg
    P1010038 (2).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 3

George

Dec 8, 2011
First step rinse with water then wash rinse again (use a microfiber towel)
I use a California water blade, (squeegee) then a microfiber towel
Second clay then glaze and wax or just wax (use a microfiber towel)
I worked for an automotive paint distributer (outside sales, field rep, manager) for 25 yrs and I’ve tried dozens of products cheap and expensive this is what works for me
Personally I use meguiers clay and final inspection spray
Meguiers #7 show car glaze
Turtle wax zip wax car wash and turtle wax platinum paste wax:yaay:

goulds48

Jan 11, 2012
barron03 said:
Check out Turtle Wax's Black box . I used it on the Tb and it worked great.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Claybar and then the BlackBox, cleaned and shined paint better than anything I've used before.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online