Best Replacement Battery Type

verbeers

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
I'm looking to replace my 4 year old stock battery before winter and looking for suggestions. I live in Michigan so I'm dealing with cold temps (I don't run any other equipment stereo or other).

I would like something with Higher CCA or that will spin the motor faster. What is the best for this application Gel, AGM, Standard with removable vent caps?

Price range is up to $150.00. For this price I have found Optima Red Top from Advance Auto Parts (using coupon code), AGM from both Oreilly and Auto Zone or the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
I have an interstate in my TB and it's going strong after 2 winters.
I have a Walmart Everstart in my 97 Sierra that is over 3 years old and it's doing fine also.

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
My TB came with an Everstart Maxx 78S (southern climate) battery. When I removed the battery cover to inspect, I noticed it had a sticker that was one year old. It is now a total of three years and has never missed a beat. Previously I would use Autozone duralast golds and had great luck with those. I have noticed that the Zone now lists the Gold as the lower tier battery and the Platinum AGM as its premium branded battery now. When it comes time to replace, I will probably get the gold.

Just last monday I had to jump a workmates dead vehicle. Cranked right up.

JRTAHOE

Nov 20, 2011
Read Below

07_TB_RIDER said:
Well woke up this morning to go to the stealership this morning to order a few parts for the TrailBlazer and notice that my clock had reset itself. I did the math and found that it would've reset at around 3am. About 2 months ago, the truck was completely drained so I had to jump it off my dads truck. With all this, I knew it was time for a new battery since the truck was using the stock AC Delco battery that came with the truck. I wanted to go with a Red Top but I've just read so many reviews on how the quality of them has gone down lately so with a little research I found the Interstate Mega-Tron Plus (Yea cool name). The specs of the Interstate battery and the Red Top were pretty much the same and for about $50 less. I can say that after the new battery was installed, the truck just seemed about more responsive. So I'm very happy with my purchase and just figure I'd share and hopefully someone can make use of this thread.

Interstate Battery Link (Click Me)

in.png

IMG00681-20110905-1317.jpg

op.png

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
According to a lot of internet forums, the Optima batteries are not what they used to be.

These platforms are highly dependent on good batteries.

The absolutely BEST battery I have ever owned (in 40 years of buying new batteries every 5 years up here in Canada) is the AC Delco 7-year Professional series battery. Don't be fooled by "sale" or low prices in other stores; in many cases the GM dealer - yes, believe it or not - can sell these batteries for cheaper than lesser-quality batteries.

I just load-tested mine yesterday when the temps plunged to minus 16C ... and it load-tested HIGHER than it's original factory CCA rating two years ago.

Be aware of cheap batteries with high CCA ratings. They achieve these ratings with very thin plates. When it comes to batteries, there is no free lunch; you cannot get a much higher CCA rating than factory with the same size case and the same thickness of plates. Cheap batteries will have a much higher rate of failure in the first month or year of service just because the plates are thinner and more fragile. To me, a battery that is replaced with no questions asked by a big box retailer with god customer service, is still not as good as a good battery that is NEVER replaced for its entire service life.

You can buy the best once, or you can buy the second best three times.

cjceg1985

Dec 8, 2011
autozone sells their duralast batteries which are manufactured by delco remy (AC Delco), interstate is a good name but i see alot of those come defective into my store, NAPA, the deka manufactured ones we sell have high cranking amps and pretty good warranty for the price

Wex

Dec 4, 2011
Chickenhawk said:
AC Delco 7-year Professional series battery.

This is interesting. Do you remember what you paid for it and what its specs were?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I put the Everstart Maxx 78N in my truck a few months ago, so far so good.

I replaced the one in the wife's ride because it crapped out before 3 years...under Walmart's warranty, I got it for nothing. Can't beat that price.

Matt

verbeers

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to check into the AC Delco battery.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
Guys, a lot of opinions on the best battery out there but you do realize that there are only 2 or 3 companies that manufacture automotive batteries - companies buy them and slap their sticker on them. Exide and Johnson Controls come to mind... I think they make almost all the batteries that we use in vehicle applications, they just get 're-branded' thats all.

I'd go with the battery with the best CCA/CA & easiest to use warranty. For that reason, I choose Sams Club. Not that it matters, but the sticker on the battery is "Energizer" and Sams Club offers a 3 year no questions asked full warranty, no pro rate. Every December I bring mine back in and get a new one :raspberry:

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
verbeers said:
Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to check into the AC Delco battery.

Be careful with the Delco's - very common that after a few years, they start leaking out of the battery posts.

Let me google that for you

Anything underneath (cooler lines, wires, etc) will corrode. Happened to my first Delco in my Envoy and also the OEM Delco battery in our Saturn L300. :mad:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Another vote for Everstart Walmart battery.

However if I had the money I would be running a DieHard Platinum Dual Terminal

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Going by memory, the AC Delco 7-year professional series battery was more expensive than their regular 60-series OEM replacement battery, but not by much. I think I paid about $125 Cdn. at the dealership for mine.

Also, keep in mind that OEM Delco batteries and AC Delco professional-series batteries are vastly different. The 7-year Pro series has a 50 month no-cost replacement guarantee, plus they pressure test the case to ensure no leakage over the life of the battery.

Yes, nearly all batteries on the market are made by only two or three manufacturers, but they are all made to their own standards. Those standards vary. Obviously, batteries are made to various price-points.

There is NO WAY a battery can be cheaper and have a higher CCA rating without compromising SOMETHING. I say again that, to me, I want to buy the best once; not the second best three times. I don't care about great service and generous return policies on marginal-quality batteries; I want the best battery I can afford that I NEVER have to return because of premature failure during its entire service life.

But that's just me. I want the best battery, period. (Which is what I thought this thread was about.)

Another school of thought is to buy cheap batteries and replace them every three years so they don't leave you stranded some day. I am not the type of person who wants to take that chance with my family, especially because these platforms are so heavily dependent on good batteries, but again that's just me. I don't compromise on batteries, tires or shocks.

Now you can see why my credit card company LOVES me and sends me a nice Christmas card every year! :smile:

verbeers

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
MichEnvoyGuy said:
Be careful with the Delco's - very common that after a few years, they start leaking out of the battery posts.

Let me google that for you

Anything underneath (cooler lines, wires, etc) will corrode. Happened to my first Delco in my Envoy and also the OEM Delco battery in our Saturn L300. :mad:

Thanks for the heads up.

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
I've got Wal-Marts in my wife's Grand Am and the Envoy. Her previous Wal-Mart lasted over 4 years on the 3 year warranty so that's a win in my book. My Envoy's died in its first year. After I pulled it, I checked the cells and realized one on the end was bone dry. Came to realize it had a crack on the edge and drained the cell. Came that way as it never started the Envoy with the same oomph as the OEM did. After a check at Wal-Mart they replaced it with no problems. New one is working perfectly.

07Blazerman

Dec 4, 2011
I have the Duralast gold top in my TB installed about 3 years ago, no issues so far started everytime the last few years even with the frigid temps. I installed the redtop Duralast in my fiancees Grand Prix about 5 years ago and no issues. Seems to be a good battery, just too bad their customer service sux and I won't shop there anymore especially sad since they are almost next door.:crazy:

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Well here in Vegas none of the batteries really last that long. Other than the old Optima red tops I only get 3 years out of any battery. I have an old Optima red top that I ran in my last vehicle in my truck now that has been going for about 6 years now. It is starting to get weak now.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Another vote for Everstart Walmart battery.

However if I had the money I would be running a DieHard Platinum Dual Terminal

I have one. Spendy battery ($200ish) but I've left my inverter on all night with a load on it and come back in the morning to a truck that will still start. That and it happily accepts the flogging I give it with the winch.

Plus, AGM = no leaks.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
I've got two die hard platinum's, a little pricey but great batteries and a great warranty

Dec 15, 2011
Is it just me or are replacement batteries too big for the battery housing. Once I replaced my battery I could never put the housing back on. It was too high.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Troubleshooter said:
Is it just me or are replacement batteries too big for the battery housing. Once I replaced my battery I could never put the housing back on. It was too high.

Did your replacement battery also have top posts?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Wooluf1952 said:
Did your replacement battery also have top posts?

:iagree: I didn't have a problem with my 78 side terminal.

Matt

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
I've used batteries from WalMart, Advance auto and Interstate batteries.
I usually go for the cheapest thing that will fit with the same or higher CCA as llong as it has a decent warranty.
They all seem to last me about 5 years but I don't abuse them.
My OEM battery just came out after 6 years and I replaced it with the AutoCraft Gold from Advance Auto for about $100.
I got it because it was the most reasonably priced battery that also had the top posts as well.
I think it had a few more CCA than the OEM. I've only had it a few months so I can't really say.

For me I figure you can get a lemon from anywhere, I want something with a good warranty/customer service so if I have a problem I can get it taken care of. I get good customer service at my local Advance Auto and the same guys are in there most of the time so I usually shop there when I can. They also can usually find me a coupon or something if I forgot mine :smile:

In fact I bought a few marine batteries from them earlier this year and some other items that was going to be over $200. I had a coupon for $20 off of $100. The guy told me to wait a minute and rang it up as two separate orders so I got $40 off the $200 order instead of just $20.

JCJARHEAD

Dec 7, 2011
I am not sure what "best" means as it is a relative term? Thus, I will not be claiming the Optima Red I have had in there for 2 years or so is best....but it is running fine! I got almost 6 years out of the original factory battery. thanks for the info on the mfg process too....if it really is just marketing in the end....I would like to buy based on performance. I bet Consumer Reports of somebody must have tested these things?

rmsg0040

Dec 10, 2011
+ 1 on the 7 year ac delco, dealer gave 7 year warranty. Keep the receipt for in case.

FYI > 800 CCA

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
FWIW, every year I get a new battery (warranty exchange) and Ive never had a problem with it not fitting under the plastic battery shroud cover.

If you cannot get it to fit under the cover, I would at least put one of those battery insulator wraps to protect it from heat in the engine bay. Heat is the #1 killer of batteries and without the cover on there, you are going to accelerate any decline in the battery's performance :twocents:

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
Overland Journal tested batteries for offroad use, and I got what they said was a good one. It's a favorite on ORTB as well. Diehard Sears Platinum P4.

That's what I've got, got a winch hooked up to it, and it's been great (though I've only had it for about a year)...

Mike

BaDAppLe

Jun 28, 2012
I know it's a older thread but it might be of info to someone. I just replaced a original AC Delco battery that was in my 2006 Trailblazer that was hot stamped 2005 so 6-7 years old,and was still ok but was showing signs of age if I left the door open light on to long.
I bought a Champion 78n at Walmart for $115 with a 3 year warranty. It is a 800cca where my Original AC Delco was a 600cca. I did have to remove the carry strap for the battery top cover to fit on correctly. The extra cca are noticeable as the engine turns over a lot faster,and the lights seem a bit brighter.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
I know it's an old thread, but batteries are important... :smile:

My Die Hard Gold lasted 4 years 11 months, crapped out this morning after listening to a cd for 10 minutes... Sears gave me a $50 Pro Rate, and a new battery for 83ish after Sacramento's cut :biggrin:... had the pro rate been less, I would probably have gone with a Kirkland (COSTCO), I think they're like $70 dollars for the same type of warranty...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
This thread reminds me I should check the electrolyte levels in my batteries after all this heat we've been having recently. (Duralast Gold in the TB, and a missing label something or other in the Camaro).

Still wish I knew how the battery is in the TB.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Sparky said:
This thread reminds me I should check the electrolyte levels in my batteries after all this heat we've been having recently. (Duralast Gold in the TB, and a missing label something or other in the Camaro).

Still wish I knew how the battery is in the TB.

If dehydrated .....gatorade will quench.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
jrSS said:
If dehydrated .....gatorade will quench.

Brawndo. It's got electrolytes!

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
KNBlazer said:
I know it's an old thread, but batteries are important... :smile:

My Die Hard Gold lasted 4 years 11 months, crapped out this morning after listening to a cd for 10 minutes... Sears gave me a $50 Pro Rate, and a new battery for 83ish after Sacramento's cut :biggrin:... had the pro rate been less, I would probably have gone with a Kirkland (COSTCO), I think they're like $70 dollars for the same type of warranty...

Sam's club has a Duracell AGM that is rated better than the Kirkland. Should last a while longer too.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online