Best rear shocks for air bag equipped Voy

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Looking for a few suggestions on replacing rear shocks on air bag equipped Envoy. Regular, not ext body. Tried a search but my search prowess is lousy. Almost 100k miles on this new-to-me Denali. Thinking it is a little bouncy and almost wobbly back there. Bags are fully inflated and the ride height seems normal. Just a regular city/highway driver. No off road or aggressive driving.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
Are you looking to lose the bags completely?

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
I imagine if yours are original then any new shock would be better. Hard to beat Bilsteins.

Reactions: Tiggerr

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Not ready yet to lose the bags yet since the system is functioning as designed. Replaced bags with OEM springs on my '03 after compressor failed leaving me on hard rubber, installed an aftermarket replacement and then original bags began slowly leaking. I'm into a smooth ride but also appreciate the truck-like feel so rear shocks need to help reach that sweet spot. Thanks.

Last edited:

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Not ready yet to lose the bags yet since the system is functioning as designed. Replaced bags with OEM springs on my '03 after compressor failed leaving me on hard rubber, installed an aftermarket replacement and then original bags began slowly leaking. I'm into a smooth ride but also appreciate the truck-like feel so rear shocks need to help reach that sweet spot. Thanks.

I'd go with the Bilsteins myself on stock suspension...

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
:iagree: The air system has two big points of failure, and the OP has experienced both (in another 360).

Yes, it would be more work (I won't necessarily say 'more expense', given the (good quality) parts for the air system are surely getting more scarce/ expensive), but at least it would be permanently fixed (outside of an eventual shock replacement, depending on how long you're holding onto the truck).

Your choice, but I would convert and stop worrying every day if today was the day when you discovered the rear end on the bump stops again. :twocents:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

floridafitz

Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Great insight...thanks. So if a spring install is likely 0-18 months, I should live with my existing shocks, since shock selection will be different for a bag vs spring suspension...right? Also, if I move sooner on the springs should I track down OE springs or is there an equal/better vendor. Might want to keep the springs handy for the sooner or later switch. Cant remember what else is needed....spring install fittings/seats? Appreciate the assistance.

Tiggerr

Jun 6, 2013
Perrysburg, OH
Great insight...thanks. So if a spring install is likely 0-18 months, I should live with my existing shocks, since shock selection will be different for a bag vs spring suspension...right? Also, if I move sooner on the springs should I track down OE springs or is there an equal/better vendor. Might want to keep the springs handy for the sooner or later switch. Cant remember what else is needed....spring install fittings/seats? Appreciate the assistance.

When I swapped mine for springs I just got a set of springs for a TB without the air ride and the rubber isolators...
The "eliminator kits" are a rip off IMHO

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
How long do you plan to keep he vehicle? Unless you get used parts the air bags vs coils are similar price. So the cost of keeping the air system is $600 for the compressor - if it goes. All is DIYer stuff. Is that worth it? Up to you.

RedRocketZ28

May 16, 2014
http://www.tbssowners.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=182

This is what I have on my Rainier. I opted to keep the bags because I tow with it and I like it self leveling without having to mess with aftermarket stuff. I recently had to replace the bags due to one of mine leaking down overnight and all is well again.

I really like the feel of these shocks but if you're looking for a stock like ride then these aren't for you. You can definitely "feel" the road and bumps more but it is a lot more stable. I'd buy them again.

These also work well with or without bags so if your bags eventually go then a simple spring swap is all you'll need to do. I would have done this if I knew I was going to buy a truck this summer for towing duties. If your bags are still good though then I see no reason to replace them.

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online