Best gas to use

sse1990

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Did a search but didn't find it. Figured I would put it here since it has to do with tuning.

I'm in the process of tuning my 2012 Sierra with the 5.3L. I'm going with a Diablosport Intune and getting a custom tune by Lew.

Lew was mentioning to never use Shell gas due to the amount of knock retard you get from it. The current tank was Shell and noticed that I was loosing MPG with this tank, before getting the programmer. I usually don't use Shell but figured I was there anyhow so I had filled up.

Being in Canada I don't have all the same choices for available fuel. He recommends mobil, exxon, sunoco, amoco, bp, chevron...

I've got Esso, Petro-Canada, Pioneer, Canadian Tire.....for choices.

Been trying to find info on the different brands, but what I am finding is years old or from the company themselves which I don't trust.

I know Pioneer gets theirs from the major brands and used to be Sunoco until Petro-Canada bought Sunoco. So I am not sure what Pioneer is using now. Their website is vague on the supplier, sounds like they buy from everybody.

I need to burn this tank as completely as possible and then fill up, burn another 1/4 tank then I can start my log files. Going to use 89 octane as the jump to 91 isn't worth it for a daily driver.

Thoughts?

sse1990

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
I thought Shell was great also, but he has had customers using other companies, but use Shell for a tank and send him a data log and he tells them they used Shell due to all the knock retard and sure enough, they did use Shell.

Since he is the guy tuning it, I'll have to listen to him. He has also done this on his own vehicle and was how he first found out cause he used to use Shell also.

ddgm

May 7, 2013
They all buy from the closest refinery and use their own additives. I know a few guys that work at the Esso refinery at Nanticoke, Ontario and every brand hauls out of there including some from the states, NY, PA, OH near the border at Buffalo/Niagara Falls. It was originally a Texaco refinery, but was bought out by Esso during the big Texaco lawsuit.

Doug

DustinC1989

Apr 12, 2013
I know this is old, but I just wanted to add that Exxon, Mobil and Esso are the same company. Just so the folks in Canada know

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Whatever you do, stay away from Petro Canada. They use ethanol to raise the octane. All their grades have ethanol.

Just recently talking with a custom car builder and apparently Ultramar supreme makes the best mileage and power.

Black07SS

Jun 17, 2014
Tell u one thing I ran Canadian gas once while traveling in Toronto and it ran terrible compared to the US gas

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Here is some more food for thought. Prior to reading this post, I had been filling up with 89 octane from either kroger or shell exclusively in the tahoe. Seemed to run ok, I even ran a bottle of techron through it.

Then I read this post and I figured, hmmn, maybe shell and kroger use the same gas (the discount thing from kroger applies to shell), so I ran a few gallons of BP through it earlier this week. I couldn't tell you if it ran better. I want to say "maybe" but I'm sure I'm just imagining it or something.

So this morning I needed gas, and I am a costco member (despite never buying their gas), so I figured hey its a top tier brand....I'll get gas there. So I get over to costco, and notice they have 2 choices. 87 and 93. Of course 87 is about 30 cents cheaper, and while I would like to have put 89 in it, I went with the 87.

As I'm filling up, I notice the lovely "may contain up to 10% ethanol". I've been trying to avoid the ethanol gas but I already put like 10 gallons in so whatever.

The feeling I left with is that none of the gas stations in south eastern michigan offer gas with anything other than 10% ethanol, that they probably all get their gas from the marathon refineries near detroit (if not a refinery, whatever it is, forgive me) , and that I am probably just wasting time and effort trying to find a decent quality gas around here.

Thoughts?

smt 59

So after reading all these post's it seems that Ontario has crap gas(nothing new) Esso was proven to have the dirtyest gas, Petro Canada is Suncor which was the old Sunoco, most of the independants get their gas from where ever they can get the cheapest price. I run Petro(Sunoco) and have had no issues at all over the years, they offer a points card which helps in savings, not much but something. My thoughts only.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
First question. Has anybody seen a "Flex Fuel" TB? I am not aware of one. Retired from the oil industry.
Have worked on projects for Marathon Detroit, and it is a refinery. I can not find any fuel without 10% ethanol
thanks to the EPA. Our engines have knock sensors and I have run 87 octane for most of the 134K miles
on my 03 and get 20-21 MPG on the highway at 70 MPH +. More food for thought.

Reactions: smt 59

{tpc}

Jan 22, 2014
Thanks for the info, Texan. Since that is the closest refinery to here, my money is on that all the gas around these parts comes from there. I assume as is said earlier in this post that each place adds their own additives, but I am guessing the ethanol portion happens before that?

I am also guessing that pretty much every place around here is independently owned and operated, and they just "pay" a fee to fly whatever brands colors they want? Or do they have to buy the additives for that brand?

Reason I ask is because I've seen a tanker stop at Murphys (walmart), then drive 1/2 mile down the street and deliver to Speedway as well. Not sure what exactly to make of that.

Texan

Jan 14, 2014
Those tankers have compartments, and can carry different grades of fuel on the same truck. AFAIK most areas of
the US have distribution terminals that blend the various components of the fuel as they load the truck.
It is a crap shoot as to what you receive at the pump, but in theory they meet the specs of the retailer.
A few years ago, we had a problem in Fort Worth with fuel with a lot more than 10% ethanol in the blend,
and really caused a problem. It affected BMW's the most, and ended up in a law suite. I don't remember
the outcome.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timmerk

Members Online