best exhaust system

kevin carvajal

Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
Fairview
What's up guys???? Looking into a exhaust system for my 2006 tb ext and was wondering whats the best/quite systems out there???? And something I can slap on myself that looks stock
Thanks in advance!

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
Stock ftw. Minus the resonator of course.

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
My two pennies:

I'd say buy/install a stock exhaust if you have an I6. Aftermarket if you have a V8.

Very small gains if you put an aftermarket exhaust in a stock I6 and not really worth the extra dough. Definitely worth the extra money if you have a V8 (modded or not).

Also, I've known a few people over the years that have installed an aftermarket exhaust in their 6 cylinder for the sole purpose of making it sound like a V8, and it just doesn't work out for them the way they've expected...OR, they think it sounds good, but it really doesn't. I too learned that lesson when I was in my younger days. If you seriously want to hear a true V8 sound while driving a 4 or 6 cylinder, download and play it in your radio while driving. That's about the extent of it.

I bought and installed a stock exhaust system from RockAuto about 8 years ago. It was their cheap setup and I installed it in an old Honda that I once owned. If I did it again, I'd coat the exterior muffler/pipes/tips with a high temp rust-proofing paint (like Por15), because they rusted pretty damn fast within a very short time. A lot of effort for an exhaust system, I know, but that's just me...

Pittdawg

Dec 5, 2011
I believe Magnaflow is the only manufacturer that actually posted a dyno of the gains and they are pretty good for the I6: https://www.magnaflow.com/products?partNumber=16833
However, the system is quite pricey so I opted to go just with a Magnaflow muffler. As long as you get their largest muffler it will sound great! The problem people have is when they go for too small a muffler and then the I6 can sound somewhat displeasing/Honda Civic like.

kevin carvajal

Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
Fairview
So theres really nothing out in the market performance wise? That give a little HP and doesn't sound like crap? looking for a stock sound if that's possible

smt 59

Depending on your finances the Borla cat back is nice and has a good sound to it, with the duel pipes it looks great as well, comes with the million mile warranty. If you do this then plan for a PCM tune and an air intake for maximum effect, you will be pleasantly surprised what these little engines can do.

Reactions: kevin carvajal

kevin carvajal

Original poster
Nov 7, 2015
Fairview
Depending on your finances the Borla cat back is nice and has a good sound to it, with the duel pipes it looks great as well, comes with the million mile warranty. If you do this then plan for a PCM tune and an air intake for maximum effect, you will be pleasantly surprised what these little engines can do.
Awesome! I'll check that out and what's a good place to look into a PCM tune???

smt 59

Just checked and they only go up to a 05 mines a 2006 ext Ls. It seems like they don't do much performance parts for EXT's
Call Borla's customer service line they will make it to order, they did for mine and for the PCM tune email PCM or North Carolina(or website pcmnc), they do most of the tunes in the US for the members here.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR