Best ELM327

JimInRadfordVA

Original poster
Feb 29, 2016
Radford, VA
I just picked up new (to me) 2005 TrailBlazer. I want to get an ELM327 Bluetooth module. I need compatibility with both iPads and Android tablets.

The variety and selection available from overseas is truly staggering. Which unit has the forum discovered to be "the one" to get based on quality and reliability?

Thanks!

Robbabob

Dec 10, 2012
I believe iPad requires a different unit than Android. I can't remember the specifics, one is Bluetooth and the other is WiFi, I think.

Sib

Sep 6, 2014
Android you will need a Bluetooth compatible ELM327 and iOS you will need a wifi compatible ELM327.

Reactions: Trkdrvremt

RTTBLT1

Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Hello, I can't comment for Apple products but this generic OBD Module I picked up on Ebay has never let me down on any of my Android devices. I purchased it almost 10 yrs ago, have used it on a handful of different vehicles and still works great. I purchased it off Ebay for around $25 with shipping and use the Torque App from the Google Play Store.
1458247845810.jpg

Reactions: Blckshdw

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
That's the same model of the first adapter I bought for my EXT many years ago. Worked great. Ended up giving it to a friend of mine, so he'd stop bugging me to borrow it. :cool:

I bought the smaller, mini adapter this time around, since my long legs would often bump the first one from time to time.

20160317_173446.jpg

Reactions: RTTBLT1

DAlastDON

Apr 6, 2014
Kentucky
Hello, I can't comment for Apple products but this generic OBD Module I picked up on Ebay has never let me down on any of my Android devices. I purchased it almost 10 yrs ago, have used it on a handful of different vehicles and still works great. I purchased it off Ebay for around $25 with shipping and use the Torque App from the Google Play Store.
View attachment 74883

Looks like the same one i bought for my maxima around 7-8 years ago. Car gauge pro would actuate the abs pump. Wont on the envoy.

That's the same model of the first adapter I bought for my EXT many years ago. Worked great. Ended up giving it to a friend of mine, so he'd stop bugging me to borrow it. :cool:

I bought the smaller, mini adapter this time around, since my long legs would often bump the first one from time to time.

20160317_173446.jpg

Im ordering one of them.

jsheahawk

Jan 16, 2013
Kansas City
View attachment 74883
That looks just like the one I have. It works great on all my Androids. It's the best $20 I've spent on my cars.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I have the bafx one from amazon. Seems to work well as in it refreshes pretty close to my clone. It was around 25$ iirc. For the most part, they're all similar.

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering if anybody has had any issues with these type of adapters causing failure to communicate over the bus? Last few days it's been super cold like negative 15 or so and everytime I start my truck I end up with a failure to communicate with the TCM code. At the same time my little bluetooth reader fails to communicate with my phone for at least a few minutes before everything starts working again. I unplugged it yesterday and it start up perfectly fine today but it wasn't as cold it was just around 0 today. I have to wait for a really cold day where it's negative 15 or so and try it again.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I've had mine left plugged in since my old post here, and have never had any issues like that.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The current draw on these is quite low so if your battery is not able to start when.it's cold, it's likely marginal and should bee checked.

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
I don't know if any of these fall under the onus of being "The Best ELM327" flavors of these OBD2 Scan-Tools, as they seem to have Windows Based APPs that may not by "simpatico" with my Linux Box and Linux Mint 19 Version OS.

Nonetheless... they were all too inexpensive NOT to just grab them as a "One Of Each" choice. Now... If I can only sort out whether or not somebody has created a workable ELM APP for the Linux OS... I'll try these out on my Wife's 2013 Nissan Altima 3.5s and see if any or all of them work as advertised. Linux has made it a bit difficult to install any .DEB files for their Old WINE Application for easily installing Windows Apps in the Over-Lay...so even having the Mini-Disks with all the necessary APPS ...is academic.

EDIT:

For us Linux Users... THIS Looks Promising:

https://samhobbs.co.uk/2015/04/scantool-obdii-car-diagnostic-software-linux

ELMTOOLS2.jpgELMTOOLS5.jpgELMTOOLS6.jpgELMTOOLS7.jpgELMTOOLS1.jpgELMTOOLS3.jpgELMTOOLS4.jpg

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
@coolasice ... FWIW... You might want to have a look at this Video from @MAY03LT concerning the Two Interior GROUNDS losing their connection and possibly Goofing up the Class II Databus...and MORE... Please Note what he mentions in the way of THIS Ground having a Direct Impact upon the DATALINK CONNECTOR if these Splice-Pack Ground(s) get Fubared. Hope this is Helpful:

...and this Video is complimentary in showing where the Splice Pack is Hidden behind the Headlight Switch on the Dashboard that may also be involved as IT also connects to the DLC and communicates the Class II Databus:

..and here is a Link to where "ALL of the Grounds Can be Found..."

https://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/electrical-ground-locations.15491/

Last edited:
Reactions: Redbeard

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Never said anything about the battery, battery is fine.

My bad. Got mixed up with another thread.

These are quite cheaply made and could fail. I have one that occasionally failed to communicate until it failed completely. Possibly leaving it plugged in wears them out. Maybe just time for a new one.

Reactions: mrrsm

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
My bad. Got mixed up with another thread.

These are quite cheaply made and could fail. I have one that occasionally failed to communicate until it failed completely. Possibly leaving it plugged in wears them out. Maybe just time for a new one.
Ever since I unplugged it everything's been working fine. More than likely a failed unit just didn't think they could cause that sort of issue. On the hunt for something a little better.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online