Best Bluetooth scan tool/apps? (Android)

ElAviator72

Original poster
Jan 11, 2012
Just bought a killer tablet. I'm interes isted in reading tranny temp in realtime. Recommendations? The tablet is an Android.

TonyT

May 6, 2012
I can't give you a recommendation as I don't have an Android device with Bluetooth. But there is a program called BHP Torque torque-bhp.com/ which many folks quite like. And it has a free version. You can purchase Bluetooth ODB2 devices on eBay although some have said they have problems.

tricguy007

Dec 7, 2011
I use Torque- Pro its pretty good I have not used anything else so I don't know how good any of the others are

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
I use Torque Pro along with the PLX Devices Kiwi Bluetooth OBD2 module. Another member here suggested the PLX Devices Kiwi Bluetooth, said he tried cheaper devices with limited success. I've had absolutely no problems. Also, I went ahead and purchased the Pro version of Torque, much more functionality, well worth the few dollars. It works flawlessly on the Droid X as well as the Droid RAZR MAXX. I haven't used it with my tablet yet, but I should do that soon! I use the app mostly when towing to monitor trans temp, etc.

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
Haven't tried others but Torque Pro works well for me with a PLX Kiwi Bluetooth.

It will read trans temp on an '03 TB, ads well as several other extended PIDs that can be found through the app and online.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Another Torque Pro user here.

TonyT

May 6, 2012
2004LS said:
I haven't used it with my tablet yet, but I should do that soon!
I'd love to know how well it works with a tablet, either 7" or 10".

My only Android device is a Kobo Vox which doesn't have a Bluetooth interface so I've sort've been toying with the idea of purchasing some kinda of tablet that I might just leave in the TB. However I don't want to spend $200 on such a device as the cheaper ones don't have Bluetooth. Grrrrr..

So I might just end up buying the ScanGauge and leave it hooked up permanently.

Wishbone

Dec 5, 2011
I've got a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9,I'll have to hook it up tonight and play with it...

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
just saw the latest torque update they added GM PIDs for oil pressure. This is the only functionality i needed that wasn't there, pretty happy to see it

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
jimmyjam said:
just saw the latest torque update they added GM PIDs for oil pressure. This is the only functionality i needed that wasn't there, pretty happy to see it

I was happy to see that as well although I'm not sure it will be any better than the dummy gauge for the 4.2. I haven't tested it yet though.

As an FYI, the latest update also added ABS wheel speed sensor PIDs, engine oil temp and air conditioning high side pressure. I also haven't tested these yet.

AtlWrk

Dec 6, 2011
SAR85 said:
I was happy to see that as well although I'm not sure it will be any better than the dummy gauge for the 4.2. I haven't tested it yet though.

As an FYI, the latest update also added ABS wheel speed sensor PIDs, engine oil temp and air conditioning high side pressure. I also haven't tested these yet.

This is why I love Torque: continuous improvements. I just wish our 4.2L actually had an oil pressure sensor :frown:

The fact that there's an AC high-side pressure PID makes my day!

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
as far as i know the engine oil temp is another dummy gauge

yes the oil pressure isn't useful for i6 guys... v8 guys moreso.

i have buddies that ask me for my thoughts on getting a dashhawk, for the money torque + chinese bt adapter is just too much bang vs buck to not have. keep on checking things off the list of "things torque can't do that hpt scanner can"

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
Well I'm unhappy to report that none of the new extended PIDs in Torque worked for me. I wasn't expecting oil temp or pressure but I was expecting the wheel speed sensors and the A/C pressure to work. I'm going to keep playing with them and see if I can get then to work.

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
the new pids work on my 06 v8... at least oil pressure and hi side hvac pressure

TonyT

May 6, 2012
jimmyjam said:
as far as i know the engine oil temp is another dummy gauge

yes the oil pressure isn't useful for i6 guys... v8 guys moreso.

i have buddies that ask me for my thoughts on getting a dashhawk, for the money torque + chinese bt adapter is just too much bang vs buck to not have. keep on checking things off the list of "things torque can't do that hpt scanner can"
I can't see anywhere to purchase a Dashhawk. It also looks like the vendor isn't supporting it any more as it wasn't on their website when I looked a few days ago.

Could you explain the oil temp and pressure not being useful for the i6 folks?

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
the oil pressure sender on the i6 is just a switch, that i believe is triggered at 12psi. so below that value the gauge will read 0, otherwise it will read a fake value supplied by the ecm to make you feel like its doing something
oil pressure switch site:gmtnation.com - Google Search

as far as oil temp, i have never seen an oil temp sensor so i don't know what would be reporting that value. again i think its just made up by the ecm but that is conjecture on my part

TonyT

May 6, 2012
jimmyjam said:
the oil pressure sender on the i6 is just a switch, that i believe is triggered at 12psi.
Oy, frigging idiots..

On a previous vehicle I just happened to notice a line of oil leading to my vehicle in the parking lot. (I had just come from a 45 minute highway drive.) I checked my oil and it was below the dipstick. 2 litres later and it was still on the low side. Turns out my oil sensor had disintegrated and oil was leaking through the switch. But my oil warning light hadn't gone off because it required the switch to ground the signal. I was greatly disturbed as that meant it didn't fail safe. Bad, bad design in my not so humble opinion. Is this engine the same way?

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
SAR85 said:
Haven't tried others but Torque Pro works well for me with a PLX Kiwi Bluetooth.

It will read trans temp on an '03 TB, ads well as several other extended PIDs that can be found through the app and online.

How does that kiwi work for you? Interested in what torque says is your max pids per second.

TonyT

May 6, 2012
ElAviator72 said:
Just bought a killer tablet.
What tablet did you buy? How good does it work in sunlight?

Note for others. I found a Youtube video showing Torque running on a 7" Android tablet. Looks awesome! [video=youtube;n0cBKtqyxiE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0cBKtqyxiE[/video]

jimmyjam

Nov 18, 2011
i run it on a galaxy tab
IMAG0029.jpg

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
I'll look tomorrow for average and max PID read times for you. I don't seem to have a problem with having enough resolution for reading even O2 sensor data though.

SAR85

Jan 31, 2012
CaptainXL said:
How does that kiwi work for you? Interested in what torque says is your max pids per second.

I was getting an average of about 11 and a max of about 15.5 this morning. The numbers started going up when the car wasn't running, probably because the computer wasn't as busy.

CaptainXL

Dec 4, 2011
SAR85 said:
I was getting an average of about 11 and a max of about 15.5 this morning. The numbers started going up when the car wasn't running, probably because the computer wasn't as busy.

Good info! Thanks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online