Bench test an IPC without scanner?

joebuhlig

Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Buffalo, MN
I’ve recently been starting to repair these GM instrument clusters and have been looking for a way to bench test them before handing them over. I have a power supply and have been reading up on the threads here around building a bench test harness for a scanner. That would be great down the road, but would love to simply connect the power supply to the pins to see things light up and such.
Maybe I’m oversimplifying it. Anyone have a guess as to whether or not this would work? My test cluster is out of an ‘05 Silverado.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Do you mean, so you can so something like this? If so, I just bought a GM radio pigtail off the internet for a few bucks, since it's the same connection as the cluster socket.

100_0749.jpg

100_0762.jpg

joebuhlig

Original poster
Jan 29, 2021
Buffalo, MN
Yes! I had seen some comments about the radio pigtail. Definitely picking one up now.

Reading the pinouts, A12 and B12 get ground. A11, B11, and B9 get positive. Do I have that right?

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I took those pics probably 10 years ago, so I can't remember off the top of my head. I'm sure a couple continuity tests would confirm before you sent power to anything though.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online