Belt & Pulley Part Numbers

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
I've had some belt ticking for a couple of years now and now I'm starting to get a very squeaky pulley.
My truck has around 130K so I figure I might as well replace both belts and both idler pulleys on the main belt all at once. The parts should be cheap enough.

But can someone help me look them up? Or direct me to a reliable lookup site? I'm always afraid to look up engine parts on regular retail parts sites because I'm never sure they're really showing me 5.3 parts and not 4.2 parts.

Mine is a 5.3 2008.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
So when it comes to belts, there are a lot of options on that page. But I had very good luck with a goodyear gatorback belt on my last S10 w/ 4.3L. How would I find one of those that fit my engine? Are there standard lengths for belts? Or is it a matter of finding the right goodyear part number?

Although that said, it does look like there are some Continental belts on rockauto that have the same design as the goodyear I liked, so maybe that's the easier solution.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Ok on the matter of tensioner pulleys, looks like theres two designs to choose from: Smooth, and Grooved with a flange. What is the difference between them? Do I want the smooth because I'm getting a textured belt? Or does this pulley run against the back of the belt anyway? I'm not near my engine right now and I don't know the belt path off the top of my head.

tak13

Apr 2, 2019
NH
Grooved (with spring mechanism) is the tensioner, that "holds" the belt under tension as it does its work. Smooth is the idler, which just sits there as the belt passes by, usually to assure the belt travels in a particular path around other pulleys.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
That's what I thought, but rockauto has idle pulleys, and then it has a separate group for tensioner pulleys, and it has both kinds of pulleys as tensioner pulleys.

tak13

Apr 2, 2019
NH
Didn't notice that you have a V8 (5.3?) - I have a 4.2. It appears that you have 2 belts - one for the "main drive" running everything (alternator, power steering, etc), and one just for the AC compressor? If so, and both are micro-v belts, that would explain the two types, with the smooth one being for the AC compressor. The groove/smooth difference just because of which side of the belt the tensioner rides on.

The 4.2 uses one grooved tensioner, with an idler on the other side of the engine.

l008com

Original poster
Feb 19, 2016
Massachusetts
Ahhhhh I see. Yes there are two belts but I've already replaced the AC belt tensioner. So grooved it is! And on closer look, it does specify that on the listing if you look closely.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
For my brother-in-laws TBSS I just used the Dayco complete set with belts from RA. Worked out great we also swapped out his 10yr old alternator while we freshened stuff up.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online