Begging for help on finding correct parts PLEASE?

jmonica

Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hamburg, NJ
Hi, I've been searching these forums and every auto parts store online and I really can't figure out exactly what I need to buy so I am hoping someone might be able to help.

I promise I'm not just being lazy and looking for someone to spoon feed me this information. I'm really stuck. The guys at AutoZone were even less knowledgeable than me, if that's even possible.

I am simply trying to purchase the two hard lines that go from the bottom of the radiator (Internal trans cooler) to the transmission. I had installed some steel braided lines when I swapped the trans last year and without boring you with too much dribble, they need to be replaced and I just want to go back to the OEM lines. I just can't figure out which of the 5 or 6 lines available I need to purchase.

Because I replaced the old OEM lines with braided lines, I no longer have the old ones as a frame of reference so that I could compare the shapes/bends and get what I need.\

By any chance, does anyone have a way that I can 100% ID the correct lines to purchase? The vehicle is a 2006 SLT without an auxiliary trans cooler and as I said I just need the two lines that run from the bottom of the radiator to the transmission.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank You in advance!

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
SS TUBES ... Carries what you need...and get this (...wait for it...) They also carry the Transmission Cooler Lines AND ALL Brake Lines in Stainless Steel Kits as well:

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
You can also stop in or even call the dealer parts dept, you might need your vin. He can give you prices and more importantly, the gm part numbers to cross match things with. :smile:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
RA seems to have them:

However, the descriptions are cryptic, if not weird. Pretty bad. I'd go to the dealer at least to get the part numbers and maybe cross reference them.

New one to me, I didn't know these trucks ever came with an aux trans cooler.

Reactions: rchalmers3

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Here's an exploded view with GM part #s (from a Rainier page, but that's fine)

Looking at the layout of these, it wouldn't be too hard to make them, in a pinch. You'd need a flaring tool, obviously. But if I could get my hands on some 3/8" ni-copp, I think I could do it, myself. Won't look the same, but it'll function just fine.

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
Here's an exploded view with GM part #s (from a Rainier page, but that's fine)

Looking at the layout of these, it wouldn't be too hard to make them, in a pinch. You'd need a flaring tool, obviously. But if I could get my hands on some 3/8" ni-copp, I think I could do it, myself. Won't look the same, but it'll function just fine.
If you made them yourself, how would you handle the fitting end of things?

Around here Amazon usually has the best prices, by far, on nickel copper line.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
If you made them yourself, how would you handle the fitting end of things?

You're talking some combination of #s 2, 9, and 12 from the diagram? Those aren't unique to GMT360's -- they should be readily available as either OEM or aftermarket. The 'challenge' would be to flare the line correctly.

Or is there something else you're referring to, that I neglected to consider? :undecided:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
There are connectors #5 (female) at the ends of lines #7 and 8 to connect to #1 and 3 (male). They are the same clip type as the others. If making your own, I'd just use compression fittings.

Speaking of which, if making your own, you could also make #7 and 8 as two piece. When I replaced those lines on the Saab, I couldn't figure out how to thread them through so I wound up cutting them at the disconnect and using compression fittings.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Speaking of which, if making your own, you could also make #7 and 8 as two piece.
I was thinking this, also, but didn't want to 'confuse' things further. But for the routing, length, and fewer connections to potentially leak... this is how I'd go.
If you're gonna fabricate, don't be half-a$$ed about it... :tongue::twocents:

Reactions: Mooseman

rchalmers3

Jul 11, 2020
Irmo, SC
RA seems to have them:

Those 4 Sunsong part numbers on the Rockauto website seem to cover the entire inlet and outlet lines. I'd go with those, or else pick some up a set of good used lines at the local wreckers.
Rick

JerryIrons

Dec 20, 2011
You're talking some combination of #s 2, 9, and 12 from the diagram? Those aren't unique to GMT360's -- they should be readily available as either OEM or aftermarket. The 'challenge' would be to flare the line correctly.

Or is there something else you're referring to, that I neglected to consider? :undecided:
Yeah I just wondered how you would handle the whole special line end that these things have to plug into the fitting. (quick disconnect clip design) below is a pic of the line ends when I changed the transmission lines in my vehicle. The one below (non-rusty) is the newer line and shows it better I guess.

pic 1.jpeg

Seems like you either need to buy a special tool to flare those ends (as in expensive), or pull the fitting end out and replace with a double flare type, then you could double flare your transmission line ends, with the standard double flare tools.

I think what mooseman is talking about is cutting the line, and then patching with compression fittings. (I did that until I finally ran out of good line to bite on)

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online